Black Metal is the worst subgenre

edit: And like i said i know who he is. He's got a couple different user names here(that i've even made him admit to), and he's also on my last.fm friends list. And if thats him in those pics, than it's just plain sad that all that nonsense is coming from somoene whos older than 14-15.

Hahahaha, now this really is some funny stuff right here, especially considering that I've never even used last.fm in my life o_O:err: The only other username I've got here I haven't used in ages and it only had like 2 posts anyway, was something like either "PissOnMyParade" or "PissOnYourParade" (can't exactly remember which). And if you don't believe me, go ahead and ask any of the mods to check for you, if that's what will help your sweet delicate little head sleep at night :rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::lol:
P.S. Quit whining so much, you sound like a woman at her "special time" of the month :tickled::popcorn:

2:12 to 3:27 for starters: a blistering yet understated wall of drumbeats that is reminiscent of the Artic winds howling ravenously over some distant snowy peaks, and being "understated" works prefectly for the drums here because it allows the majestic keyboards to manifest themselves simultaneously in a glorious orgy of otherwordly splendor that speaks of realms beyond mortal vision - yes, this is that kind of artistic imaginative flair that you Americans just don't get, remember? :lol: :Spin:

"Meaningless" is purely subjective, but "distinctive" is much more easily defined. Show me any Thrash lyrics out there with themes that aren't wanna-be Black (Slayer, etc) or wanna-be Death (just about every other Thrash band out there), or even (God forbid) wanna-be punk :rolleyes:

I would actually like to issue a bit of a disclaimer though: although it may not seem like it, I don't actually seriously hate Thrash Metal or anything like that, it is actually pretty good in small doses and it's great for creating moshpits at concerts. However, I felt the need to post here because of a certain kid with the word "Yellow" in his name saying that it was a FACT that all Black metal is shitty, and that Thrash is much better than it, and in this light I still stand firmly behind everything I've said about Black Metal being more distinctive, creative, varied, and basically all-round better than Thrash.

I don't know how programmed blastbeats are supposed to resemble the turbulence of Arctic winds in the slightest. Maybe the riffing and keyboards over them, ok, but as you even imply, the drumming is nothing but a simple foundation to place keyboards over.

You realize that Slayer was writing "black metal" lyrics before Bathory and most of the other European first wave bands, right? Not to mention that thrash metal predates death metal, and that there are basically no significant lyrical elements to either.

Just when I thought Black metal could not get any more rediculous, here comes Mayhem.
bm4a.jpg

bm4b.jpg

I don't know how programmed blastbeats are supposed to resemble the turbulence of Arctic winds in the slightest. Maybe the riffing and keyboards over them, ok, but as you even imply, the drumming is nothing but a simple foundation to place keyboards over.

You realize that Slayer was writing "black metal" lyrics before Bathory and most of the other European first wave bands, right? Not to mention that thrash metal predates death metal, and that there are basically no significant lyrical elements to either.

You might not not be aware of this, but there are clearly many things you "don't know", lol. Go read what I said earlier about the effect that the fast drumming in Black Metal like this has on me to understand more. Also, you still seem to be implying that using drum machines to supercede human abillity in music is somehow "wrong" in some way - why not just unplug the electricity while we're at it, or even just throw away instruments altogether because they are still unnatural crafted things, perhaps the only "true" natural musical abillity out there is the human voice, right? :lol::lol::loco:
Furthermore, you said that "there are basically no significant lyrical elements" to both Death Metal and Thrash Metal.
Well, (a) I'm guessing that some Death Metal fans around here might have something to say about that, and (b) you just basically admitted what I've been saying all along: that Black Metal has more unique and distinct lyrics than Thrash Metal. :popcorn:

You might not not be aware of this, but there are clearly many things you "don't know", lol. Go read what I said earlier about the effect that the fast drumming in Black Metal like this has on me to understand more. Also, you still seem to be implying that using drum machines to supercede human abillity in music is somehow "wrong" in some way - why not just unplug the electricity while we're at it, or even just throw away instruments altogether because they are still unnatural crafted things, perhaps the only "true" natural musical abillity out there is the human voice, right? :lol::lol::loco:
Furthermore, you said that "there are basically no significant lyrical elements" to both Death Metal and Thrash Metal.
Well, (a) I'm guessing that some Death Metal fans around here might have something to say about that, and (b) you just basically admitted what I've been saying all along: that Black Metal has more unique and distinct lyrics than Thrash Metal. :popcorn:

The repetitive blast beat thing is kind of the critical point. That they are programmed with no effort is the minor one. The programming itself isn't a big deal to me, but when you talk about tempos and jizz yourself to programmed shitty drumming and look down on thrash with its many capable and fast musicians, you look like an idiot.

Give a definition of what "death metal lyrics" are, then. I'd love to see how this definition successfully incorporates post-Leprosy Death, Deicide, Bolt Thrower, and The Chasm into one category, and how thrash metal some how ripped off all those later-coming bands. All I admitted is that black metal is often defined along lyrical terms as well as musical ones, whereas most fans of other sub-genres are more permitting of lyrical diversity. All you've demonstrated is what a collectivist mindset black metal on a whole espouses.

I can't decide if UltimateApathy is dumber than Yelloweyedemon or vice versa. They are both immensely fucking dumb, but the question is which one is more stupid than the other one. If one knew only one of them, it would be hard to think that it's possible to beat him in dumbness, but there can only be one.

The repetitive blast beat thing is kind of the critical point. That they are programmed with no effort is the minor one. The programming itself isn't a big deal to me, but when you talk about tempos and jizz yourself to programmed shitty drumming and look down on thrash with its many capable and fast musicians, you look like an idiot.

Give a definition of what "death metal lyrics" are, then. I'd love to see how this definition successfully incorporates post-Leprosy Death, Deicide, Bolt Thrower, and The Chasm into one category, and how thrash metal some how ripped off all those later-coming bands. All I admitted is that black metal is often defined along lyrical terms as well as musical ones, whereas most fans of other sub-genres are more permitting of lyrical diversity. All you've demonstrated is what a collectivist mindset black metal on a whole espouses.

Oh, you wanna talk about being repetitive here, do you? Well, Thrash may be one of the earliest metal sub-genres, but that doesn't make it any better by any means. For all it's comparatively lengthy existance it's barely changed at all from the incredibly simplistic guitar-bass-drums style that basically just involves a lot of fast drumming and a bit of a guitar solo now and then with basically no experimentation outside this narrow-minded range at all: basically no keyboards, symphonic elements, folk instrumentals, orchestra elements, electronica, choir, or even growled/shrieked vocals, just the same old clunking drum sound, whiny guitars, and vocals that can't decide whether they wanna be harsh or melodic - not much skill going on here at all, clearly. Black Metal has experimented abundantly with all the above-mentioned effects/devices and is one of the most varied of all Metal subgenres, so please don't make yourself look like an idiot trying to argue that Black Metal is "more repetitive" than Thrash - and yes, that is the sound of you losing this particular argument. :lol:

The general lyrical themes of both Death Metal and Thrash Metal tend to be along similar lines except that everything about Death Metal is far more intense and brutal - Black Metal (unlike Thrash Metal) plays second fiddle to no-one in terms of lyrical or even instrumental prowess. Also, let it not be said that Black Metal lacks lyrical variety, because its themes can range from nature-based topics to songs about war to general gloom and darkness to anti-religious or Satanic themes. Here are some examples:

Nature-based Black Metal

War-Based Black Metal

"General gloom and darkness" Black Metal:

Satanic/Anti-religious Black Metal

All you've demonstrated is an archaic mindset that is several decades behind modern times while simultaneously sucking the penile unit of Death Metal's little Thrashy brother... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Black metal has co-opted many more non-metal sounds than thrash metal, yes, but that doesn't make it creative on its own merits.

You need to be more specific about "intense and brutal". If you mean that thrash metal doesn't have Cannibal Corpse lyrics, than yeah, I guess death metal "wins". Otherwise, most of those lyrical themes (aside from maybe "nature"; I'm going to guess that the many environmentally-conscious CNN metal bands of the 80's don't count) are not unique to any one sub-genre of metal.

And instrumental prowess? lulz, as you post that horrendous Ceremonial Castings song.

Black metal has co-opted many more non-metal sounds than thrash metal, yes, but that doesn't make it creative on its own merits.

You need to be more specific about "intense and brutal". If you mean that thrash metal doesn't have Cannibal Corpse lyrics, than yeah, I guess death metal "wins". Otherwise, most of those lyrical themes (aside from maybe "nature"; I'm going to guess that the many environmentally-conscious CNN metal bands of the 80's don't count) are not unique to any one sub-genre of metal.

And instrumental prowess? lulz, as you post that horrendous Ceremonial Castings song.

Oh, and what is creativity if not embracing the fullness of instruments within one's reach to attain higher and greater realms of originality and uniqueness, rather than remaining stuck the in same old rut for decades on end? Hint: the latter very obviously applies to Thrash Metal, and not a single thing has yet been posted in this topic to prove otherwise. Show me even one single musical aspect that Thrash Metal excels in more than any other metal subgenre and then perhaps we can have a decent discussion - I've already posted plenty of evidence regarding Black Metal in this matter.

"Horrendous" is it? Well, let's see: there is clearly someone in the band who can play the keyboards very well, as well as excellently incoporate symphonic/orchestral sounds into the music - something which is simply miles out of reach of basically any Thrash Metal band out there. And let's take a minute to examine the vocals, which may not exactly be an "instrument", but are still telling: The Ceremonial Castings vocalist can do shrieking, chanting, and guttural growling vocals, all of which are apparently way out of the league of basically every Thrash Metal vocalist ever, the likes of who seem to content with their hysterically-indecisive vocal style: "Should I be heavy or melodic???" Clearly your definition of music quality has very little to do with actual musical skill if you would rate that song as "horrendous"...

I'd also like to take a moment to point out the incredibly hilarious hypocrisy and idiocy evident in this thread by most of the posters who accused me of being "wrong" or attempted to insult me in other ways. If, for example, we had never had this discussion and instead had posted a topic with a poll entitled: "Which subgenre of metal is more original, creative, intense, and truer to the overall concept of metal as a rebellious, non-commercial genre of music: Black Metal or Thrash Metal?" then no doubt Black Metal would have won in a landslide victory, and it's supporters would inevitably have included some of the posters who attempted to take jabs at me here for no other reason than "it seemed like the cool thing to do at the time." I know this to be true because I remember some time back when we ran a poll on this forum about the subgenres of metal that fans here like most, and Death Metal came first, followed closely by Black Metal, and then Thrash was sitting in a distant third. So, yeah, get your hypocritical little heads out of the sand and stop polluting the topic with your petulant nonsense.

Black Metal is not my thing. For sure.

I'm not surprised, you were the kid that spammed the "Band Recommendations" forum with about 5 different topics asking for Power Metal, even though I replied to the first two with long lists of relevant bands and youtube links, which you somehow managed to ignore. I guess you just liked the look of many topics with your name on them, right? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Man, do you really think that really no one heard about Dawn of the Black Hearts... I think it is the thing that makes black metal mainstream.