What Is The WORST Metal Subgenre?

What is the WORST metal subgenre?

• Total voters
A chart.

EDIT: This one is maybe a little too detailed, a simple cross would suffice but w/e.

Makes sense. But I still disagree with Mort that there are few "gnostic atheists". I know many atheists who realize that concepts of God are either intrinsically flawed and (i.e. God is the creator of the universe and absolute goodness) contradictory or empty and meaningless (i.e. God is Oneness).

NMP6.gif

Without a doubt, metalcore. So much of it is literally one note breakdowns, and they're typically very boring. The vocals also sound stupid normally.

Behind I would say nu-metal and glam/hair. There are some good nuggets in both genres (for example, the s/t slipknot album is mostly very good and interesting), but I find I have to dig through a lot of shit in order to find something that captivates me.

Edit: I'm just so curious as to why nu-metal seems to have disappeared as a genre in a fairly short period of time within the metal community. Metalheads used to talk so much trash about nu metal so much and the people who listen to it.

Last edited:
Despite my love for visual kei aesthetics and love for early glam rock, Glam/Hair Metal is by far probably one of the worst metal subgenres.

However, as stated above, Japanese glam kicks a fuckton of ass. Love X Japan

Awe c'mon Tera the Chicks With Dicks era of music gave us Motley Crue and in turn they gave women diseases no one ever knew about. What could be better than that :p

Was she a Chick with a dick or did Motley Crue give her something she regretted?

Calling X Japan "Japanese glam" is such a reductionist insult lmao.

I know they are more than glam, and way more of an artistic output than a single fuckin pube out of any glam metal band, but when I think of good glam stuff, I instantly think of the Visual Kei stuff. Which, to me shits all over whatever other MTV praised hair schlock of the 80s, while drawing similar practiced aesthetics.

Visual kei is tricky, unlike glam which is typically a unified sound, visual kei is more of a movement focused on aesthetics and most bands sound pretty different from each other.

I understand the instinct to compare them, but in reality X Japan are above and beyond any bullshit glam ever produced.

Reactions: Sophii