Black Metal.

So I'm probably the only one interested in the new upcoming Twilight album. I can't imagine it will be anything like the last one, and it'll be interesting to see what kind of ideas Wrest has been sitting on for the last three or four years.

Listened to the album last night, initial impression was good. Needs another listen or two to sink in fully.

Well, I agree with V5 when he says that Drawing Down the Moon is the ritualistic bm album. You might like it more if that's a quality you appreciate. I like it for other reasons too, but they're a little bit hard for me to articulate. It's one of the most alienated and alienating albums I've ever heard. It sounds like it's completely in its own world, and it's the sort of thing that doesn't really give a crap about pleasing anybody. It has this weird atmosphere that's totally unique. But it's not really one of those albums where you can point to it and say 'listen to how cool that riff sounds' or 'this part right here is awesome.' It's way more than the sum of its parts.

Hm, I see what you're saying. Perhaps I was in the wrong mindset, will give it the old college try.

The reasons you have listed are why I think Abruptum is cool

Listening to Gehenna's Admiron Black and really enjoying it. What would you guys say is thier best?

Definitely Adimiron Black.

Seen Thorugh the Veil of Darkness, Malice and also First Spell are kind of enjoyable in a "for good old times sake"-way.

I Don't like their death metal.

So, Adimiron Black was the perfect album which combined their two styles.

All the albums mentioned are great also like mention:
Godkiller-The End Of The World
Ulver-Themes From William Blakes:The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell
Dodheimsgard-Satanic Art

alright all you avant garde black metal fiends (eligos, cook-ta? and maybe einherjar), I have a new one for you: Grotesque by Pensées Nocturnes. Pretty good stuff. Good mixture of black metal brutalness and everything else. There's nothing zany here...perhaps more accessible than A Forest of Stars and other similar acts. There are horns and violins (if I remember correctly). Good stuff. Vocals are incoherent shouts. Go forth

edit: and apparently the guy behind Pensées Nocturnes, Vaerohn, got into it with people on last.fm (his user name is Krakenao): http://www.last.fm/music/Pensées+Nocturnes/+shoutbox

How do people feel about Belphegor? I've seen a black metal night on at a venue near me and they are headlining. Checked out their stuff on myspace and I'm quite impressed, nice clear production too.

Belphegor is alright, worth seeing once if you haven't or if there aren't many shows around.

But for great black/death type stuff go for Arkhon Infaustus.

How do people feel about Belphegor? I've seen a black metal night on at a venue near me and they are headlining. Checked out their stuff on myspace and I'm quite impressed, nice clear production too.

Try hard rotten cheese. And they're not really black metal, they're blackened death, like Behemoth.

alright all you avant garde black metal fiends (eligos, cook-ta? and maybe einherjar), I have a new one for you: Grotesque by Pensées Nocturnes. Pretty good stuff. Good mixture of black metal brutalness and everything else. There's nothing zany here...perhaps more accessible than A Forest of Stars and other similar acts. There are horns and violins (if I remember correctly). Good stuff. Vocals are incoherent shouts. Go forth

edit: and apparently the guy behind Pensées Nocturnes, Vaerohn, got into it with people on last.fm (his user name is Krakenao): http://www.last.fm/music/Pensées+Nocturnes/+shoutbox

Will check out. :D

I've seen them a few months ago, opening for Obituary. Their setlist was a bit short, but powerful and well played. Nothing extraordinary, a decent band playing a fun show. If you haven't seen them live, it's worth in my opinion.

So I'm probably the only one interested in the new upcoming Twilight album. I can't imagine it will be anything like the last one, and it'll be interesting to see what kind of ideas Wrest has been sitting on for the last three or four years.

Well, just got back from a Nachtmystium concert, which was awesome. I picked up the first Twilight CD and I am going to spin it now...

I've seen them a few months ago, opening for Obituary. Their setlist was a bit short, but powerful and well played. Nothing extraordinary, a decent band playing a fun show. If you haven't seen them live, it's worth in my opinion.

Yeah I think I'm going to go, don't know much BM and this might be a good introduction.

The other bands playing are:

- Eastern Front
- Ethereal
- For Ruin

Any thoughts on these?