Black Metal.

I'm surprised to see people defending that 25 minute ambient track on Filosofem. I agree with Ozzman that it should've been way shorter. There's simply not enough interesting material and development over the course of the track to justify its outrageous length. If it were significantly shorter, I would have no problem with it. I love some ambient music (a lot of ambient is what I would refer to as 'sound experimentation' rather than 'interesting music'), but I think Varg was always mediocre as a purely ambient composer. On the other hand, when that influence finds its way into his black metal songs, it's fucking great.

I have to agree on all of that. After about 15 mins you're starting to watch at the clock and think "Goddamit... Please finish in the next couple of minutes..."

But nah. It is TEN MINUTES LEFT. Quite annoying. I do love Tomhet, though, so I guess if he had cut the song at about minute 15 it'd be perfect.

I've only just started trying to listen to Immortal. I've never bothered with them before since they look ridiculous, to the extent even guys in the BM scene were ridiculing them.

But I have to say Battles In The North and a couple of others I've heard so far are fucking excellent.

With the exception of their newest, All Shall Fall, I dont think they have released anything bad. I cant speak for All Shall Fall because I have not heard it yet, but everything from Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism to Sons of Northern Darkness Ive enjoyed alot.

And as a side note, their image is not ridiculous, its badass! :kickass:

I think Varg was always mediocre as a purely ambient composer. On the other hand, when that influence finds its way into his black metal songs, it's fucking great.

THIS.

Why exactly did Garm and Ulver stop making top class bm? I read somewhere that he got "burnt out"...? Does anyone know?

There's simply not enough interesting material and development over the course of the track to justify its outrageous length. If it were significantly shorter, I would have no problem with it.

I agree with this; however, by and large I disagree with this:

I think Varg was always mediocre as a purely ambient composer.

Hlidskjalf is for me the best evidence toward the contrary. I also think that "Tomhet", "Han Som Reiste", and "Channeling the Power of Souls into a New God" are worthy ambient compositions, at least by my admittedly marginally informed standards.

I should probably give Hlidskjalf some more listens. I might have been too easily dismissive of it when I first heard it.

I've never been able to get into "Tomhet" that much. It's not a bad song, though not what I would consider excellent in terms of ambient. For me the third track on HLTO might as well be the end of the album.

I agree with this; however, by and large I disagree with this:

Hlidskjalf is for me the best evidence toward the contrary. I also think that "Tomhet", "Han Som Reiste", and "Channeling the Power of Souls into a New God" are worthy ambient compositions, at least by my admittedly marginally informed standards.

Daudi Baldrs is for me the best evidence supporting his ambient mediocrity, when thats the only thing he focuses an album on.

Hlidskjalf is definately better than DB, but fuck, I cannot listen to either album in one sitting, both are just too fucking boring for my tastes.

IMO, when he incorporates ambient with black metal or even purely ambient here and there within an album it suits the album alot better than when solely incorporated on its own. Even if the song is 10 or 25 minutes long, for me it pays off alot more.

Why exactly did Garm and Ulver stop making top class bm? I read somewhere that he got "burnt out"...? Does anyone know?

as far as I understand, yes. Garm has always been about expressing himself. Don't forget he was also in Borknagar for two albums and did Arcturus. He pretty much got fed up with the black metal scene, thought it was silly and instead started making electronic-based music

from what I remember

Just recently started getting into Katharsis and am very impressed. Both albums 666 and VVorldVVithoutEnd are great all the way through. Can't wait to listen to Krusifixxion

I should probably give Hlidskjalf some more listens. I might have been too easily dismissive of it when I first heard it.
Hlidskjalf is a little hit-and-miss for me; the first couple of tracks grab my attention and suceed in portraying the setting that Varg is trying to convey (regarding the 'lyric' book which explains how every song is meant to feel). If you read the info on Der Tod Wuotans (which remains as my favourite non-metal Burzum song), it actually captures what he is trying to express;

Drums of war sound. Warriors are gathered to fight on the W�gri�r plain. Charging men, wolves, ravens and gods, worms and beasts of darkness; the plain is lit with fire. Blood is flowing, bits of flesh, severed limbs, smashed skulls and bodies lie strewn across the plain. Screams cut the air, screams of anger and pain, the sound of metal blades and armour clashing, clubs smashing bodies. Then, for a brief moment, everything stops. It is as if the universe holds its breath. Wuotan has fallen on the W�gri�r plain; swallowed by Fanjariho. For a moment the time stands still. For Wuotan; Hail and Joy!

Ansuzgardaraiwô does this pretty nicely as well, though I honestly must say that I lost interest in the second half of the album because the final tracks seem to be a lot more minimalistic than the earlier tracks (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but sounds a little odd after the heavy, emotional aspects of the first few tracks). This is just my opinion though.