Black Metal.

Hmmm not really - consider none of the material on Belus was actually new.

Wrong. Varg has made clear on a number of occasions that the album is made up of both old and new material, though he didn't do into detail about what is new and what is old. "Glemselens Ev" surely is of newer vintage though.

Edit: Wow, apparently Varg at some point actually wrote down a timetable for the compositions. You can see it for yourself on the Burzum website for the Belus entry in the discography. Surely there are elements in some of these newer compositions that hold origins in earlier ideas, I would wager.

Title Production year (location)
Leukes Renkespill (Introduksjon) 2010 (Bergen)
Belus' Død 1993-1994 (Bergen)
Glemselens Elv 2008 (Tromsø)
Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning 2009 (Bø i Telemark)
Sverddans 1988-1989 (Bergen)
Keliohesten 2008 (Tromsø)
Morgenrøde 2009 (Bø i Telemark)
Belus' Tilbakekomst (Konklusjon) 2009 (Bø i Telemark)

Lol never noticed this parody before.
burzumnewalbum.jpg

Im not sure how to describe it but it doesn't as grand as most of the other Burzum releases imo

Weird. I think that Belus has some of his most 'grand', large-sounding material. Obviously not as much as the two previous metal albums, but it's definitely 'larger'-sounding than the debut and DSEV imo.

Sorry to break up the deep Burzum discussion, but what are people's opinions of Striborg? I recently decided to dig deeper into aussie BM and this guy is (arguably) one of the most known. I picked up Southwest Passage for dirt cheap the other day and quite enjoyed it; the majority of his stuff though seems too rushed and uninspired, not to mention progressively boring. Thoughts?

Stri lives near me...i've been trying to figure out who he is for years.I think he's a hippy who lives nearby,in hippy country,I kinda think I know where.Some of his stuff is not too shabwa.

I get the feeling it's kinda Lifelover-esque...hope not. lifelover is pretty garbage.

So I bought my first Taake album today (Nattestid) and I am going to give it a good listen tonight. Not sure why I never listened to Taake before but yeah, I am hoping to enjoy it as much as the various reviewers giving it critical acclaim have.

I also finally got around to listening to Wolfshade's Trouble (and will soon listen to the 2010 album, When Above...). I like it a lot. Very sorrowful and melodic but Burzum-esque at its core.

I get the feeling it's kinda Lifelover-esque...hope not. lifelover is pretty garbage.

So I bought my first Taake album today (Nattestid) and I am going to give it a good listen tonight. Not sure why I never listened to Taake before but yeah, I am hoping to enjoy it as much as the various reviewers giving it critical acclaim have.

Wow I'm amazed you don't like Lifelover. Kim Carlsson imo has an excellent creative vision throughout all his projects, and personally I find him pretty unique in a field of many pretenders.

There are many who insist that Lifelover and Circle Of Ouroborus bear some kind of resemblence, but I think they're quite different tbh. Give CoO a go, but approach without thinking of Lifelover. Nevertheless, you may or may not like it. The latest CoO record is a VERY big step up though. The best of their discography hands down imo.

Tåke: "Nattestid..." is a great record, but "Hordalands Doedskvad" is where Høst truly shines. Amazing, amazing record.

Here's the opening track of that album. Fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Dødskvad and Bjoergvin are better than Nattestid. Nattestid is still a classic though.

I will have a try with this Circle of O... Although, I have a hard time taking the name seriously. Why would you name your band after some zombie project from Resident Evil? :) Well I know it's probably the other way around, but well...

Hope you enjoy it Andy, I really like all of his albums. It's damn classy norwegian BM.

Yes, Dødskvad and Bjoergvin are better than Nattestid. Nattestid is still a classic though.

I will have a try with this Circle of O... Although, I have a hard time taking the name seriously. Why would you name your band after some zombie project from Resident Evil? :) Well I know it's probably the other way around, but well...

Ouroboros meaning.

Don't listen to the other guys Nattestid is the best and most atmospheric Taake-album and imo the only one that is really awsome. While the other ones aren't bad there are someting missing in them imo.

I'm a fan of alot of black metal bands, especially emperor and summoning. I am christian, but I don't judge music based on my personal beliefs. Hope you don't think i'm not a "tr00" fan because of that.

Stronghold (summoning) is my favorite black metal album right now, but I change my mind alot. Kampfar's heimgang is another I really like