Black Metal.

Lawless Darkness does sound more accessible than Rabid Death's Curse, not that it makes much difference in my book, but anyway. Of course, Watain has developed a more commmercial image with their new albums, the "movie" and all, but it's not like it makes them any worse. Watain is still good and quite original band, even if I like their early work best.

Lawless Darkness does sound more accessible than Rabid Death's Curse, not that it makes much difference in my book, but anyway. Of course, Watain has developed a more commmercial image with their new albums, the "movie" and all, but it's not like it makes them any worse. Watain is still good and quite original band, even if I like their early work best.

A lot of that is due to production though, Rabid Death's Curse really isn't inaccessible musically. Typically, the more established a band gets, the more a record label is willing to give the band, so cleaner production and more promotional options are a given. Many bands follow this path; Immortal, Satyricon, Enslaved, Gorgoroth, Burzum etc. Season of Mist can obviously provide more than Drakkar can.

If you like some folk influences check these out:

Haunting flutes..
edit: some background..
This is a 1 man band from Romania, he played also with Negura Bunget @ OM album (flutes).
Check the wiki for a pretty interesting description of the band's name.

Last edited by a moderator:
very cool stuff, immo!

I'm listening to Dodecahedron's self titled right now and enjoying it. What other avant garde-ish post black metal stuff has come out this year?

I don't know, i stopped searching for new music for some years now, trying to catch up. But there are soo many to check..
Some examples that I'm interested in(maybe you can give some feedback):
Vreid - V
Ihsahn - Eremita
Graveland - Spears of Heaven
Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
some new Countess
newer Abigor
DSO - Paracletus
new Drudkh and Nokturnal Mortum...
Agalloch
newer Beherit
nah they're too many to list here, you got the point anyway

Vreid - V: decent prog-black metal. Some of the songs are stellar, some are just so so.

Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini: a couple of phenomenal songs and a few filler tracks, but a solid album. Vertebrae is a much, much better album though.

some new Countess: you basically know what you're gonna get; solid, epic old school black metal with lots of traditional heavy metal influence. On Wings of Defiance is a good listen.

DSO - Paracletus- one of the best black metal albums ever. Simply phenomal, as is Fas.

new Drudkh- painfully generic. Totally unoriginal and uninspired.

and Nokturnal Mortum- excellent. Sort of like a heavier version of Graveland's Creed of Iron.

Agalloch- Excellent. Marrow of the Spirit is a very special and very innovative album. This and Paracletus are the best two metal albums of the past 2-3 years.

You know, upon initial listens it's very different from other Beherit albums, but once you understand the album, you realize it's the same fucking Beherit. It is truly magnificent.

Vreid - V: decent prog-black metal. Some of the songs are stellar, some are just so so.

Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini: a couple of phenomenal songs and a few filler tracks, but a solid album. Vertebrae is a much, much better album though.

some new Countess: you basically know what you're gonna get; solid, epic old school black metal with lots of traditional heavy metal influence. On Wings of Defiance is a good listen.

DSO - Paracletus- one of the best black metal albums ever. Simply phenomal, as is Fas.

new Drudkh- painfully generic. Totally unoriginal and uninspired.

and Nokturnal Mortum- excellent. Sort of like a heavier version of Graveland's Creed of Iron.

Agalloch- Excellent. Marrow of the Spirit is a very special and very innovative album. This and Paracletus are the best two metal albums of the past 2-3 years.
wow thanks

I don't know, i stopped searching for new music for some years now, trying to catch up. But there are soo many to check..
Some examples that I'm interested in(maybe you can give some feedback):
Vreid - V
Ihsahn - Eremita
Graveland - Spears of Heaven
Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
some new Countess
newer Abigor
DSO - Paracletus
new Drudkh and Nokturnal Mortum...
Agalloch
newer Beherit
nah they're too many to list here, you got the point anyway

Hello. I would definitely listen to Marrow of the Spirit (2010) by Agalloch. It's a wonderful album. I particularly love the track The Watcher's Monolith.