Black Metal.

I'll not be a dick and respect UltimateApathy's opinion in this scenario because honestly his passionate explanation about why he prefers that album over the others is exactly why I love music discussion.

Hail horror hail and that early ep are the best sigh. Post scenario IV can fuck off.

Drudkh is cool. I like the first few and microcosmos. Battlefields is better though

Apparently all the Black Metal critics online are shitting themselves (in a good way) over this album. Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jrfX1FpXAQ&index=68&list=PLfiiLzUrOLTZeV4QoTVyZRbaKP0gE85Ao

That's not what I've seen.

The comments/reviews I've read have been very split. Though most of the negative stuff I've read has focused on it being a woman and the way it's been marketed. I don't give a fuck about any of that, but I don't think the music is special. Me and my mate listened to it in the car and I doubt I'll be listening to it again soon.

Haven't heard any of those no, I'll check 'em out.

Found this today, this is definitely the kind of stuff I want to hear:

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually like all of the Sigh albums that I've heard, including Hangman's Hymn and Gallows Gallery, but you can't say that a symphonic black metal album is more unique than a lot of their other music without being objectively wrong.

I only have heard Hangman's Hymn and Imaginary Sconicscape and I do like the latter better. Hangman's Hymn isn't bad by any means, the symphonic parts are really nice but the BM parts are sorta like an afterthought.

I've actually never heard an entire Hate Forest album. I have a split they did with IIdjarn and that's pretty much it. Definitely going to listen to Battlefields today.

BATTLEFIELDS is meh, i'd go for PURITY or SCYTHIA myself.

flames of hell is cool, very weird stuff that people never seem to mention.

just to give you some more organised recs from the period:
norway hogs all of the limelight in BM, but there's lots of worthy early stuff from other european backwaters which took a while to get its due.
tormentor's ANNO DOMINI came out of hungary and has developed an incredible cult reputation over the years, and i've personally found it grows more and more over time. it has attila from mayhem on vox.

master's hammer are a czech export with a huge underground following, RITUAL should be one of your top priorities. the other great czech BM band are root, check out HELL SYMPHONY and i'd also recommend delving into some of their well-regarded later, less traditional stuff (much of which i still need to check out).

i also recommend trying mortuary drape's INTO THE DRAPE EP from italy (you can't go wrong with their full lengths either), samael's WORSHIP HIM from switzerland (and BLOOD RITUAL if you like that), morbid's DECEMBER MOON from sweden.

thorns' discordant GRYMYRK is a divisive norwegian demo that certain people rate very highly, twas a major influence on blut aus nord among other things, not exactly traditional first wave though. i know kiwi david is pretty big on blasphemy's early stuff too (BLOOD UPON THE ALTAR/FALLEN ANGEL OF DOOM), i used to find them a bit samey but they're primitive and i haven't heard them in yonks so they may be worth a try.

then there's the more obvious stuff, like the various south american black/thrash records (sarcofago's INRI being the zenith), sodom's wonderful IN THE SIGN OF EVIL EP, hellhammer's SATANIC RITES and the first four bathory, just in case you're missing any of those. i'll also take this opportunity to recommend poison's INTO THE ABYSS yet again, not sure how BM it really is but it's one of the best extreme metal releases of the '80s and completely essential.

i'll let someone else handle recs for first wave-styled stuff from the past two decades, i'm sure i could think of a few things but others here will know more.

BATTLEFIELDS is meh, i'd go for PURITY or SCYTHIA myself.

flames of hell is cool, very weird stuff that people never seem to mention.

just to give you some more organised recs from the period:
norway hogs all of the limelight in BM, but there's lots of worthy early stuff from other european backwaters which took a while to get its due.
tormentor's ANNO DOMINI came out of hungary and has developed an incredible cult reputation over the years, and i've personally found it grows more and more over time. it has attila from mayhem on vox.

master's hammer are a czech export with a huge underground following, RITUAL should be one of your top priorities. the other great czech BM band are root, check out HELL SYMPHONY and i'd also recommend delving into some of their well-regarded later, less traditional stuff (much of which i still need to check out).

i also recommend trying mortuary drape's INTO THE DRAPE EP from italy (you can't go wrong with their full lengths either), samael's WORSHIP HIM from switzerland (and BLOOD RITUAL if you like that), morbid's DECEMBER MOON from sweden.

thorns' discordant GRYMYRK is a divisive norwegian demo that certain people rate very highly, twas a major influence on blut aus nord among other things, not exactly traditional first wave though. i know kiwi david is pretty big on blasphemy's early stuff too (BLOOD UPON THE ALTAR/FALLEN ANGEL OF DOOM), i used to find them a bit samey but they're primitive and i haven't heard them in yonks so they may be worth a try.

then there's the more obvious stuff, like the various south american black/thrash records (sarcofago's INRI being the zenith), sodom's wonderful IN THE SIGN OF EVIL EP, hellhammer's SATANIC RITES and the first four bathory, just in case you're missing any of those. i'll also take this opportunity to recommend poison's INTO THE ABYSS yet again, not sure how BM it really is but it's one of the best extreme metal releases of the '80s and completely essential.

i'll let someone else handle recs for first wave-styled stuff from the past two decades, i'm sure i could think of a few things but others here will know more.

There's some things I haven't heard yet so definitely will be listening to them. :kickass: Really great post.

I'm particularly curious about Poison's Into The Abyss.

I know this is quality stuff, but there's nothing unique at all about it that jumps out at me. This is the most neutral BM I think I've heard.

Last edited by a moderator: