Black Metal.

I'm just going to recommend good black metal. Some of it is not even remotely similar but still of high quality.

Kawir
Caladan Brood
Paysage D'Hiver
Gris
Darkspace
Fen
Gallowbraid
Alda
Nyktalgia
Thy Light

Solid list man, as well as cook-ta's. You know that Alda has a new album "Passage" that's supposed to be out? I pre-ordered it a while ago and am still eagerly awaiting its arrival...

Solid list man, as well as cook-ta's. You know that Alda has a new album "Passage" that's supposed to be out? I pre-ordered it a while ago and am still eagerly awaiting its arrival...

I actually didn't even know Alda had a new one out. Last I heard was Tahoma, which is damn near perfect black metal imo.

Thank you for the heads up! I will check it out, if any tracks are up online.

I'm curious for your guys' thoughts on this band... I've loved their debut for years and I think it's a shame it's gotten so little (apparent) attention. I think they may have been ignored largely due to being Christian (members of Extol -- who I'm not really into although Burial is pretty cool). I dislike most Christian music due to it often being just Christianized milktoast versions of a sound pioneered by a different, better band, but this album is definitely unique. Their second album is basically a hardcore/rock album, so ignore that --- this one's a gem though:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious for your guys' thoughts on this band... I've loved their debut for years and I think it's a shame it's gotten so little (apparent) attention. I think they may have been ignored largely due to being Christian (members of Extol -- who I'm not really into although Burial is pretty cool). I dislike most Christian music due to it often being just Christianized milktoast versions of a sound pioneered by a different, better band, but this album is definitely unique. Their second album is basically a hardcore/rock album, so ignore that --- this one's a gem though:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE8tspMXWsA

Lengsel is good. I believe they are friends with Minas Tirith/Old Mans Child/Forlorn/etc..at least that's how I heard about em.

I dig early Enslaved

I don't get how someone can like black metal and not like early Enslaved. Or most of their albums. They have one of the strongest discographies of any extreme metal band.

I do wish they'd do some more EPs (or an album, though I can't see it happening) like Thorn and The Sleeping Gods.

VIKINGLIGR VELDI is one of the more baffling canonised albums for me, i've tried so hard to get it and more or less given up at this point.

re: graveland, i highly recommend the sadly underheard FAREWELL record by infernum, released by darken and copernicus as a tribute to the band's original leader karcharoth after his descent into madness and eventual suicide. it's a collection of old unreleased material instilled with what i imagine was a newly reflective vibe. it's better than the debut IMO, and arguably eclipsed a lot of '00s graveland material too.

i haven't heard aeternus mentioned for a while, are you folks fans of their early stuff?

Dark Sorcery, Beyond the Wandering Moon, and ...and So the Night Became are among my most played albums ever. Shadows of Old is great stuff as well but I need to give it more listens. They were unstoppable in the 90s.

I'll go ahead and link some some of my favorite Symphonic Black Metal because this is some awesome shit:

Limbonic Art:

Elderwind:

Ceremonial Castings:

Emperor:

Evilfeast:

Abigail Williams:

Nazgul:

Chaos Ascending:

Cradle of Filth (fuck the haters):

Dimmu Borgir (and again):

Here are some similar Asian bands that I forgot to mention earlier:

Ethereal Sin:

Sigh: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xzZaiT0wBI&index=10&list=PLPU5XTrll5YwhCb5r_pzPyOaTDo6vxPrP[/ame]

Chthonic: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8onGdf_RCnU&index=9&list=PLE65EC5C3EE8F517C[/ame]

It's worth mentioning that none of Sigh's other music sounds like the album that song is from.

Absolutely brilliant band. One of my favorite black metal bands, top five probably. Autumn Aurora and Forgotten Legends are magical to me come fall/winter.

I will say for whatever reason I don't like a lot of bands similar to them though.