Black Metal.

26844.jpg

I'll have to scan the pictures of Dirtmaster in the Lawgiver EP and Bestial Storms of the Abyssic Pit compilation by Hail because they are hilariously dumb.

He's holding an obviously plastic flail and has his eyes censored to conceal his identity.

Anyone else investigating the underground USBM scene?

In the past, I was never a fan of USBM. It wasnt due to genre snobbishness (I'm American, after all), but due to the lack of quality. I've never liked Xasthur, Demoncy, Leviathan, or even Weakling. I found Absu mediocre at best.

With the rise of Caladan Brood and their magnificent debut, it seems USBM is finally ascending beyond the scraps of the supposed superiority of Europe. Ered Wethrin, Ifing, Noltem, Hoth, Appalachian Winter, Winterlore, Mare Cognitum, Alda, Obsequiae, Nechochwen and Haethen are just a few worthy names to be found in the germinating underground, not on your Nuclear Blasts or Candlelights.

EDIT: Fuck Krallice and that Deafheaven/Liturgy shit

There's some really great fucking American Black Metal out there, but my taste is more for the primitive shit.
Bands like Von, Goatlord, Black Witchery, NME, Profanatica are what I'm into, Judas Iscariot was pretty fucking good too.

yeah, those are all known bands, and unfortunately they kind of define(d) USBM. The more underground stuff is where it's really at.

what I heard of Judas iscariot was third rate. And Havohej was hilariously bad.

That to me is the more underground shit, mostly because even if they're a bit more known, they get way less credit than crap like Xasthur, the rest tends to just be boring Scandinavian rip off/clone crap, with a few exceptions.

I had a Panopticon album but it was kinda boring so I gave it to one of my friends who really wanted it.