Black Metal.

the only DSO release i listened to was Paracletus, so i guess thats what id have to go to. Their stuff is pure unadulterated chaos though, its awesome, what do you guys recommend i listen to next?

Is it still uncool to think that Averse Sefira is a far better and more cohesive band than Deathspell Omega?

Honestly I never connected with Averse Sefira the same way I did with Deathspell Omega. I didn't find the songwriting to be any better or any more cohesive.

There are undoubtedly some great parts to SMRC and some sophisticated use of melody which convey passion and emotion. At an hour and 20 minutes I just find it a chore to sit through the whole thing, and the oppressive wall of sound sections (which I usually don't have an inherent problem with) start to wear thin. Agreed with Omni that Averse Sefira are much better overall

the only DSO release i listened to was Paracletus, so i guess thats what id have to go to. Their stuff is pure unadulterated chaos though, its awesome, what do you guys recommend i listen to next?

Fas. It's the other side of the coin to Paracletus.

Is it still uncool to think that Averse Sefira is a far better and more cohesive band than Deathspell Omega?

I've only heard Advent Parallax, but it hasn't left an impression after multiple listens. Perhaps it would show a little more if I went back to it again, but it's certainly not in the discussion with DSO's best works.

Reactions: RedStorm
Si Monumentum is their masterpiece. Just to listen to that part after 7:52 on Carnal Malefactor. That album contains some fillers though.

I think that the album is too long for its own good. It's still good.

I'm a fan of Averse Sefira, but the high points in their discography are not close to as good as DSO's high points. There's no Sola Fide I or Kenose II in there. But I haven't listened to them in many years, which I could argue is a strike against them. I come back to a lot of bands, but Averse Sefirea lacks stickiness for me.

Like many of you, I think SMRC is bloated, with Carnal Malefactor being closer to the low point of the album than the high. But the best 30-40 minutes of it is something I'm happy to revisit often. I'm fine with destroying the sanctity of the artistic expression by creating my own listening experience and skipping the parts of something I think are not good. I'm having really contradictory thoughts about whether a tight coherent album is better than an album with obvious flaws, misses, and filler, but ends up with more good overall content that the listener can choose.

Reactions: unknown