Black Metal.

Since I got a smartphone, the amount of time I spend reading actual books has been reduced to perhaps a couple minutes a day, compared to perhaps a couple hours a day in the pre-smartphone era. It's a pity, really.

I don't mind Caladan Brood (pretty great actually) but I will never for my life understand how you could prefer it to Summoning. Old Mornings Dawn is the best album in the last 10 years atleast and Caladan Brood is a quite nice clone...

While Caladan Brood is probably easier to get into and has more face value, Summoning just builds up this atmosphere that only they can Summon (...) which you get lost in on a whole other level.

I'm about 2/3 through Memories of Ice and so far I don't like it as much as Deadhouse Gates. Something about that desert theme and characters really do it for me.

yeah, the first thing i think of when i think of that series is the section with felisin, baudin and heboric crossing the desert. real nasty, fraught, intense stuff. DEADHOUSE GATES is my favourite along with MIDNIGHT TIDES, which i think is probably his most assured piece of writing (and possibly a better starting place than GotM although i've never been sure enough to actually recommend anyone do that). i also love HOUSE OF CHAINS, partly because it begins with an extended introduction to one of my absolute favourite characters. i really think 2 through 6 are gold in general though. i love the whole series and its overarching perspective was both an indispensable comfort and a huge influence over my own, but it definitely gets a little unwieldy after that point. one of these days i'm gonna try the newer stuff.

I don't mind Caladan Brood (pretty great actually) but I will never for my life understand how you could prefer it to Summoning. Old Mornings Dawn is the best album in the last 10 years atleast and Caladan Brood is a quite nice clone...

While Caladan Brood is probably easier to get into and has more face value, Summoning just builds up this atmosphere that only they can Summon (...) which you get lost in on a whole other level.

Well, for example, Caladan Brood tend to have more melodic vocals (especially choirs) than Summoning, and I prefer a good mix of harsh/clean vocals in this kind of epic metal because clean vocals in the form of chanting and/or choirs tend to give it more of an appropriately-epic feel.

Amestigon is great. One of the guys from Summoning is the vocalist. Honestly I'm surprised as fuck that I haven't listened to Summoning yet, because I see them mentioned frequently.

Anyone into Caladan Brood? Great Summoning clone with Malazan inspired lyrics. Nothing amazing but definitely worth checking out if you like Summoning.

Boring as fuck but not quite as irritatating as Summoning.

Fuck knows why this kinda BM has gotten so popular.