Black Metal.

I've been on a journey of rediscovery/obsession with Varathron's Walpurgisnacht album lately, playing it a few nights in a row while reading before bed. Am I alone in thinking it utterly blows His Majesty at the Swamp out of the water?
It does. It's their best from their old era, by a mile.

I've been on a journey of rediscovery/obsession with Varathron's Walpurgisnacht album lately, playing it a few nights in a row while reading before bed. Am I alone in thinking it utterly blows His Majesty at the Swamp out of the water?

both that one and stygian forces are better than his majesty IMO

Reactions: CiG
Varathron’s last two albums are pretty good too.

They’re the best of those Greek black metal bands by a decent margin. Rotting Christ and Necromantia put out a couple good albums each then fell off pretty hard. Varathron survived Crowsreign and rebounded.

Reactions: Allfader and CiG
I’m also in the Walpurgisnacht camp. I listened to Stygian Forces a few times as well since Old Wainds kept pimping it to me and it’s pretty good. Haven’t heard the new one.

I easily prefer Rotting Christ and Necromantia at their best to Varathron, regardless of consistency.

Last edited:
I need to properly delve into Necromantia, especially soon as I've been in a black metal mood lately. Definitely like me some Rotting Christ.

Their split with Varathron is legendary and “The Feast of Ghouls” is one of their best tracks. Then Crossing the Fiery Path, Scarlet Evil Witching Black and The Ancient Pride EP are all good. The Ancient Pride EP contains a sick Manowar cover.

Varathron’s last two albums are pretty good too.

They’re the best of those Greek black metal bands by a decent margin. Rotting Christ and Necromantia put out a couple good albums each then fell off pretty hard. Varathron survived Crowsreign and rebounded.
Absolutely.

They never fell into the abyss of mediocrity as Rotting Christ and Necromantia did, plus they have been releasing top notch stuff consistently since Stygian. Crowsreign wasn't even that bad, the production and some songwriting choices were awkward, but it still has great riffs and performances.

In terms of modern Hellenic black metal, Varathron is head and shoulders above the entire competence. Rotting Christ have been releasing Sanctus Diavolos too many times (Theogonia was basically SD II) to the point their albums are completely predictable and mediocre shit. They are not even trying anymore, even the lyrics are lame as hell.

This is one of the most "Hellenic" black metal songs ever.

i like nocternity the most out of those three but they're all cool. also a fan of wolfnacht, the shadow order, agatus, order of the ebon hand, stutthof, legion of doom, wampyrinacht etc

Lately I find myself constantly coming back to Enthroned, especially Towards the Skullthrone of Satan and Armoured Bestial Hell. They're not the most original black metal band but the sheer intensity and annihilation is perfection. Reminds me of why I like certain Marduk albums so much too, that traditional black-bordering-on-war-metal intensity.

The crisp drums just fuck me.