Black Metal.

What happened to all the black metal hedz around here? This used to be one of the busiest threads and now it's a ghost town, even more so than the rest of GMD.

Anyone have albums to rec from this year?

I'm enjoying:
Aara - Triade I: Eos (posted above)
Spectral Wound - A Diabolic Thirst (an absolute banger. Better than their previous which I also loved)
Mare Cognitum - Solar Paroxysm (also their best yet)
Dordeduh - Har (need to listen more but has that classic Negura Bunget sound)
Dodsrit - Mortal Coil
Ferriterium - Calvaire (French Mgla worship)
Koldovstvo - Ни царя, ни бога (sounds like it was recorded between Dracula's arsecheeks but I love it for that)

What happened to all the black metal hedz around here? This used to be one of the busiest threads and now it's a ghost town, even more so than the rest of GMD.

I'm enjoying:
Spectral Wound - A Diabolic Thirst (an absolute banger. Better than their previous which I also loved)
Dodsrit - Mortal Coil
Koldovstvo - Ни царя, ни бога (sounds like it was recorded between Dracula's arsecheeks but I love it for that)

I'm way too backlogged to listen to much 2021 releases, but I did just check out Dordeduh because I love em so much. I feel they deviated from their prior sound. It seems a little too polished and technical, and not ritualistic enough. I'll need to give it more time. I'll listen to Mare Cognitum soon as you say it's their best.

I'm enjoying:
Dodsrit - Mortal Coil

The new Mare Cognitum is good.

I’ve been digging Duskmourn’s newest, but they hit a sweet spot for me—like a combo of Gallowbraid, Caladan Brood, and Sojourner. Not super original, but really enjoyable.

The new Mare Cognitum is good.

I’ve been digging Duskmourn’s newest, but they hit a sweet spot for me—like a combo of Gallowbraid, Caladan Brood, and Sojourner. Not super original, but really enjoyable.

I love Caladan Brood but I don't get any element of that...

PS new Rome is really good. The single Panzerschocolade had me worried but it's by far the worst track.
Though apparently they've been banned from various streaming platforms due to being considered nazi. Because of course all German speaking neofolk artists must be nazi.

I love Caladan Brood but I don't get any element of that...

It was mostly a sense I got from their vocals--as far as musicianship goes, not much overlap. Duskmourn just sounds super familiar to me, and I think it's due to a combination of characteristics from multiple bands.

PS new Rome is really good. The single Panzerschocolade had me worried but it's by far the worst track.
Though apparently they've been banned from various streaming platforms due to being considered nazi. Because of course all German speaking neofolk artists must be nazi.

Jerome Reuter said some shit that made me raise my eyebrows (about immigration in Europe), and I can't always tell if he's adopting personas in his music or expressing his own beliefs. Rome is far from a nazi outfit, but I kinda think Reuter has some right-wing sympathies. I don't think he started that way (after all, Flowers from Exile is about revolutionaries fighting against Franco in Spain); but people change, and the current geopolitical climate has inspired some unappealing attitudes.

I listened to the new album once, there were some good tracks but it didn't stick. And now apparently it seems to have been taken down from Spotify...

Jerome Reuter said some shit that made me raise my eyebrows (about immigration in Europe), and I can't always tell if he's adopting personas in his music or expressing his own beliefs. Rome is far from a nazi outfit, but I kinda think Reuter has some right-wing sympathies. I don't think he started that way (after all, Flowers from Exile is about revolutionaries fighting against Franco in Spain); but people change, and the current geopolitical climate has inspired some unappealing attitudes.

He sounds like a typical nazbol.

He is frustratingly ambiguous. Aside from Flowers from Exile which Einherjar mentioned, it was only a few years ago he wrote a concept album about colonialism in Rhodesia that certainly didn't glorify colonialism (nor did it really seem to understand the black perspective, but that's a different story). He's always been explicitly very pro-Europe which is fraught territory but then you get a song like 'The West Knows Best' which is obviously tongue in cheek. I've always thought of him as progressive but it's always possible he's done a Morrissey.

Reactions: Einherjar86
What does everybody think of the Greek band Leeches?

I know a couple of people absolutely obsessing over them. I like the bass playing but the cymbals are a bit obnoxious even for me.

Anyone else like Black Metal, im into the more popular bands such as 1349, Darkthrone, Dark Funearl, Gorgoroth and Dimmu Borgir.
I'll never forget the night I saw 1349 live in manchester, one of the best gigs ever, and when Enslaved were on the lead singer looks straight at me and gives the horns which was wicked.
Theres just something about Black Metal that makes it unique from any other genre, and I'd probobally be lost without it.
I can't get into Black Metal, don't like the growling and the music pure noise to me, no offence.

I like the first wave wave of Black Metal, such as Venom and mostly of all Mercyful Fate.

Do you consider King Diamond solo Black Metal, if you do I like him, though I think he's a bit to melodic to be Black Metal.

If those Black Metal bands sang instead of growling maybe I could get into it.

a3681295540_10.jpg

Heathen Deity. Pretty standard fare, but enjoyable!