Black Metal.

145667-Inquisition-Black-Mass-for-a-Mass-Grave.jpg
whats everyones take on this? i havent listened to it as much as i need to really get an idea about it
from what i remember it seemed needlessly long of an album

Just discovered Sammasch. Not sure what the consensus is around here, but I'm digging them--thought Triangle was great, and now listening to Hearts of No Light. These guys scratch the BAN/Deathspell itch, although they're no match for either. Still good shit though.

It's definitely more accessible. I get carried away with pretentious overindulgence sometimes, so Triangle worked me. That being said, the entire third ambient act is a bit much.

As I've listened to more of these guys, I feel like they piece together bits of Arcturus, Batushka, Blut Aus Nord, and Deathspell Omega, but never really come entirely into their own sound. It's pastiche-y in a lot of ways. But I love all those bands, so I'm good with it.

It's definitely more accessible. I get carried away with pretentious overindulgence sometimes, so Triangle worked me. That being said, the entire third ambient act is a bit much.

As I've listened to more of these guys, I feel like they piece together bits of Arcturus, Batushka, Blut Aus Nord, and Deathspell Omega, but never really come entirely into their own sound. It's pastiche-y in a lot of ways. But I love all those bands, so I'm good with it.
Definitely, this doesn't sound original in the slightest. Everything is out there done by some other band, which is a sort of shame.

I also think they really took at heart Behemoth's The Satanist. Even if it's not entirely apparent, there are many stylistic choices there taken from that album.

New Mare Cognitum out 19 March. I really like these guys (actually it's just one guy but w/e)
a0855152129_16.jpg

Listened to the first two tracks and I can't get beyond the production right away.

On recent black metal though I quite enjoyed the new Ebony Pendant EP which was unexpected, didn't think much of their other stuff. Also the new Maquahuitl EP rules and that Les Chants de Nihil album wainds shilled was cool based on a single listen. So far Little Turtle's War by Pan-Amerikan Native Front is my favourite 2021 black metal release but I can guarantee when the new Panopticon album is out that will take its place.