Black Metal.

Recently I've been thinking about the point of depressive black metal. I used to be into that genre a little bit a couple of years ago, mainly through the Swedish Shining which I used to worship, but nowadays I'm more inclined to think that this iteration of black metal is pretty pointless. Yesterday I stumbled upon a few songs by Xasthur, and even though I found myself enjoying the riffs and the general atmosphere of the songs, I couldn't enjoy them fully. There is something within me that simply does not feel that kind of music anymore. It's not something I could listen to on a daily basis, and it has been like that for a few years. The repetitive vocals exuding suffering, the oppressive atmosphere and overall depression reign mood in a 12-minute-long song is not something I'm looking for these days.

I've also observed that this kind of music does not affect my mood anymore, or at least it does not influence it to such an extent as it did in the past. A couple of years ago I used to be a pretty depressed and misanthropic individual, but my view on life and general demeanour have changed significantly. I don't feel the need to dampen my spirits and dishearten myself anymore. It's not the way I am, nor is it the way I feel I should be. And if that is the case, I just don't have the urge to listen to depressive black metal anymore. Of course, I love some passages or even tracks rife with sad riffs evocative of personal struggles and impediments, just the doom metal way, but when you have an entire discography of depression and suicide-filled themes and lyrics, it just doesn't float my boat. It's not my realm, to put it bluntly. I'd rather be listening to some Bathory or even Burzum instead. I find no real-life value in dsbm; its misanthropic and suicide-related messages I find repugnant and even somewhat detrimental because of the sheer, deliberate negativity and the lack of life-affirming substance this music entails. I may sound overly dramatic, but I just felt an urge to share my thoughts on this topic since I used to be exceedingly "enthusiastic" about this stuff myself, and I feel it did no good to me apart from making me delve deeper into the unconscious areas of my psyche.

So, to conclude, my question is: do any of you actually listen to dsbm pretty regularly? What do you think of this subgenre? Do you think people without underlying mental issues or ongoing life difficulties actually listen - or could feel inclined to listen - to this kind of music?

I stumble upon it here and there, but it's not my go-to subgenre. I find its whiny tendencies to be off-putting, but as with everything, there are gems sprinkled throughout. I don't think the message behind the music matters to most, otherwise all of black metal would have similar effects on the individual listener. It's not surprising you grew out of it though, it's really an annoying subgenre.

Reactions: EspaDa
I stumble upon it here and there, but it's not my go-to subgenre. I find its whiny tendencies to be off-putting, but as with everything, there are gems sprinkled throughout. I don't think the message behind the music matters to most, otherwise all of black metal would have similar effects on the individual listener. It's not surprising you grew out of it though, it's really an annoying subgenre.

I prefer much more energetic black metal in the vein of the contemporary Icelandic or Swedish scene. Something you can actually headbang, and not fall asleep to. I do like atmoblack, though. Drudkh are the kings

By the way, here's a new song by Skaphe from Iceland. I've become addicted to it. Check it out, guys.

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
My buddy with BPD and a history of alcoholism and cutting likes DSBM a lot. I don't think you have to be depressed to like it, but I'm sure there's a good amount of overlap considering the artists put a heavy emphasis on conveying certain moods and atmospheres.

It is a rare day when I follow along with the lyrics to a black metal album, so there's that. I'm sure if you're immersing yourself in the dsbm lyrical atmosphere all the time, it's going to take a toll.

Sometimes just knowing what the lyrics will be like is enough to get a vibe, it's all psychological. It's like listening to a goregrind album, you don't need to read along with the gory lyrics to get that certain feeling. It's this way for me at least, also DSBM tends to stick to certain musical tropes that convey a downer mood.

But you definitely don't find yourself listening to a dsbm band while enjoying your life and fulfilling most of the set expectations, I'm quite certain of that. You just don't listen to that kind of music and then suddenly go out to meet your aunts and uncles. In my eyes, it's not the kind of music one could listen to on a daily basis and not fall - provided that it isn't already the case - into the claws of depression or be affected by negativity which makes one's life much less optimistic and less promising. Just like dweller said, it's going to take its toll eventually. I wouldn't recommend this type of music to any person from my surroundings suffering from any kind of mental issues. To go even further, I think I wouldn't recommend such music to anyone nowadays. It would only bring them lower in the end.

I can listen to it regularly and not let it effect my disposition, but that's because I listen to metal for the sound/ enjoyment, not to put myself in a darker mood or anything.

I remember I massage Fenriz on myspace some year back say his new Lightthrone record was
sucking and he became so angry. If I find his original massage I post it here!!

To answer theory of if new album is good? Of course is no. Fenjiz must do like countryman
of Windir and die in too much snow.

Reactions: Slayed Necros
HATE FOREST - HOUR OF THE CENTAUR OUT ON DECEMBER 25TH, 2020.
After 16 years of deathlike slumber, Hate Forest is back with a new album called ” Hour Of the Centaur” created and recorded in few days of April 2020. You will not find anything trendy or new here – band’s same unpenetrable dark wall of sound and bottomless maelstrom exclusively.

This is laconic and honest black metal crafted on Old Europe’s eastern frontier, full of disgust to modern pseudo-intellectual, selfie/ Instagram “black metal”.