Black Metal.

Black metal is my favorite genre of music. I guess because of the feeling i got when i listen to satyricon - dark medieval time, or stormblast...

who asked?
dry.gif

I just got word from some metalhead saying black metal didn't start not until 1989 but I told him it started at the very least of Bathory's debut album in 1984. So begs the question, did Black metal did literally start in 1984 or 1989 or somewhere in between? I'm a bit confused.

Any thoughts?

I just got word from some metalhead saying black metal didn't start not until 1989 but I told him it started at the very least of Bathory's debut album in 1984. So begs the question, did Black metal did literally start in 1984 or 1989 or somewhere in between? I'm a bit confused.

Any thoughts?

To me it was the Bathory album in 1984. Why wouldn't it? Because Bathory isn't as common as Venom?

It's far harder to pinpoint the birth of black metal vs. that of death or thrash. I don't think there will ever be clearly defined first black metal album. The second wave begins with A Blaze in the Northern Sky.