Black Metal.

edit: I'm still waiting for that one day when someone actually composes a good argument as to why they don't like CoF instead of just saying "they suck" or "they're gay."
Possible reasons:
- Poppy sound that may annoy some
- The band is commercialized and commodified to a level approaching that of Kiss, some may find this in poor taste
- Homo-erotic image may make some uncomfortable
- Abrasive and melodramatic vocals may rub some the wrong way
- Extravagant image and themes that approach the level of caricature could be a turnoff
- Overall lack of artistic aspiration and depth may cause some to quickly lose interest

Possible reasons:
- Poppy sound that may annoy some
- The band is commercialized and commodified to a level approaching that of Kiss, some may find this in poor taste
- Homo-erotic image may make some uncomfortable
- Abrasive and melodramatic vocals may rub some the wrong way
- Extravagant image and themes that approach the level of caricature could be a turnoff
- Overall lack of artistic aspiration and depth may cause some to quickly lose interest

you just described manowar.just because a BM band is a little more popular than most doesnt mean they arent BM. BM is probally the most listened to type of metal right now, seems most popular on any internet forum, and i love how underground black metal fans try to make it out to be.

you just described manowar.just because a BM band is a little more popular than most doesnt mean they arent BM. BM is probally the most listened to type of metal right now, seems most popular on any internet forum, and i love how underground black metal fans try to make it out to be.

Cradle of Filth is not black metal. Not because they're popular, but because their sound is not black metal. At all. I like a CoF song or two, they're not that bad really. But they are not, have never been, and never will be BM.

Any recent demo recommendations?
I find that's where some of the best stuff is.

Praeter Caelestis is pretty good. They have a myspace, but the sound quality on the myspace pales in comparison to the sound on their demo. but all of the tracks on their myspace (which are the 4 tracks of the demo) can be downloaded. it's pretty good stuff. I'm gonna review it for UM within the coming week

Any recent demo recommendations?
I find that's where some of the best stuff is.

maybe not recent but my favorite demo from last year was from Reverorum Ib Malacht from sweden.

The first, "What Do You Think of the Old God, We Call Him Judas?" is my favorite, reminds me of the deathspell omega ambient interlude with some crazy stuff throw in here, really atmospheric.

second demo was average imo.