Black Metal.

Nacthymnen and Supreme Immortal Art.
Don't forget Opus IV, that's their best one IMO

The following albums are full of win:
9776.jpg

Superb album, really stupid that the re-issue doesn't come with that original and fantastic cover art, instead opting for some lame CGI image of mountains and a booklet filled with viking runes which nobody can read. Shame, that painting is incredible.

Superb album, really stupid that the re-issue doesn't come with that original and fantastic cover art, instead opting for some lame CGI image of mountains and a booklet filled with viking runes which nobody can read. Shame, that painting is incredible.

That really pissed me off also.

Indeed, it really fuckin' sucks that the one I own is the re-issue.

Nice toleration.:p
I've been wanting to get DMDS for some time now, it's high on the priority list, but so many damn priorities.:mad:

Get it now. I put it off myself and regret it. It's a truly amazing album. Bump it higher on your list. Seriously.

And I agree with V5. Attila's vocals are simply amazing. So diverse...wonderful stuff.

Just listened to some clips of Glorior Belli, Wolves In The Throne Room, and Ureghal. All very impressive stuff.

Agreed. Very great bands. Urgehal are one of my favorites next to Den Saakaldte when it comes to the new generation of Norwegian black metal.

There was some touring and booking info I had seen a month ago about bringing Glorior Belli to the states, they were looking for a promoter who's willing to do it but I have my doubts since I haven't heard any info since then :(

Excellent band. Kim Carlsson is very fucking cool & a great vocalist.

The upbeat side you're hearing is the pop influence. Buy all the albums, great band.

Agreed. I enjoy all of Kim's work I have heard thus far, although I have yet to hear any Kyla material, I'm sure I will soon. For me I have always viewed Lifelover as a band people either love or hate, as with most bands in the experimental/depressive bm genre.

To me it just feels morbid and depressing for the sake of being morbid and depressing. When i listen to Burzums first album it's also morbid and depressing but it has a certain artistic quality which keeps it from just being tiresome. Lyrics about running mascara, shooting heroine and putting bullets to your head just makes me disgusted in a bad way.

To me it just feels morbid and depressing for the sake of being morbid and depressing. When i listen to Burzums first album it's also morbid and depressing but it has a certain artistic quality which keeps it from just being tiresome.

Apples and oranges imo: I don't think Burzum was purposefully depressive Black Metal. I think Varg set out for Burzum to be just Black Metal, and that's that. Depressive, perhaps not so much, but dark, foreboding, yes. If depressive, then with Burzum, it's powerfully depressive, with Lifelover, it's more like depressive weakening/decay.

Lyrics about running mascara, shooting heroine and putting bullets to your head just makes me disgusted in a bad way.

... and that's exactly what it's meant to be doing. It's urban social decay, self-wallowing, and disgust created by modern life which provides their lyrical influence. It's like the shitty grime you see throughout the whole of films like Fight Club or Trainspotting, that urban de-sterilisation. It shouldn't be glamourised and it should hit close to home.

Edit: not saying you're wrong, I can understand we all have our tastes, I guess I'm just trying to justify why I think they're great and wish more people here appreciated them.

Perhaps because Varg had a vision that extended beyond neurotic self-obsession?

Funnily enough, you might be right :)

lets not forget fucking TORMENTOR either

You're the second person other than myself I've seen mention Tormentor on this board. Anno Domini is essential and probably one of the most overlooked black metal albums.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
anyone who dislikes Attila is a major faggot and no friend of mine.

Yeah, I think you know how I feel about anyone who doesn't like his vocals. :lol:

Apples and oranges imo: I don't think Burzum was purposefully depressive Black Metal. I think Varg set out for Burzum to be just Black Metal, and that's that. Depressive, perhaps not so much, but dark, foreboding, yes. If depressive, then with Burzum, it's powerfully depressive, with Lifelover, it's more like depressive weakening/decay.
I can't see how Hvis lyset Tar Oss and Filosofem isn't purposefully depressive. Both the music and the lyrics speaks for it imo. I agree that it is more of a romantic, longing depressive feeling rather than just social misery.

The thing about Lifelover is that they try way too hard. I mean it just gets silly and over the top, and the lyrics loses it's depth imo. The music is very forgettable too so they just aren't very interesting.