Black Metal.

must be a pretty awesome professor
Yea he is, we borrow each other's cd's a lot. He got me into stuff like Sun O))) and The Ocean. He has all my Gorgoroth cd's right now, and my Decrepit Birth and some other shit, hopefully will get those back today. Right now he let me borrow a whole bunch of shit, October Falls, Black Boned Angel, Khanate, Skepticism, Landmine Marathon, and a couple other things. He has a pretty wide taste in metal.

Hmm, I've just run into this band from Sweden, Apostasy, that I had never listened to before. It's not really the 'harsh' kind of black metal, but it definitely has some elements. And it's very enjoyable, if you ask me. Really melodic and flowing.

Last edited by a moderator:
A majority of them all since, like, 7th grade. Black Metal was one of the only things I listened to in junior high and my first year in high school. Naturally, I have heard almost all of the ground breaking albums and than some of the more obscure ones. The only things I do not think I have heard is Arcturus and all of Ildjarn releases(I have only heard Ildjarn-Nidhogg and Forest Poetry), so I think I am pretty well-set to say just such a thing to him.

@Derek: Yeah, you got a while to go before you hit most of the classical albums. I would not say Dark Funeral has released a masterpiece or a 'classic' album in regards to the Norwegian time period, assuming we are including Swedish bands like we should.
What are the best 2nd Wave Swedish albums? What albums would be the natural progressions for me to get next? Borknagar's Selftitled, Mayhem's DMDS, and Enslaved's Eld are the BM albums that are on high on my priority list.

What are the best 2nd Wave Swedish albums? What albums would be the natural progressions for me to get next? Borknagar's Selftitled, Mayhem's DMDS, and Enslaved's Eld are the BM albums that are on high on my priority list.

Dissection - The Somberlain
Ophthalamia - A Journey In Darkness and Via Dolorosa
Nifelheim - Nifelheim
Arckanum - Fran Marder and Kostogher
Bathory - Blood Fire Death
Setherial - Nord and Lords of the Nightrealm
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Marduk - Those of the Unlight

Those are more the "classic" album and I am sure this list is not complete but is more directed at what you are looking for.

Dissection - The Somberlain
Ophthalamia - A Journey In Darkness and Via Dolorosa
Nifelheim - Nifelheim
Arckanum - Fran Marder and Kostogher
Bathory - Blood Fire Death
Setherial - Nord and Lords of the Nightrealm
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Marduk - Those of the Unlight

Those are more the "classic" album and I am sure this list is not complete but is more directed at what you are looking for.

fail