Black Metal.

Songs have to be 8+ min to be "great" to you? That's a rather bizarrely pigeonholing criterion.

No, that's not what i said. I actually said the album is "great".
There are many other "great" black metal albums with short tracks, but because of these short tracks, they will never become classics or personal favourites for me. Is that bizarre? I guess it's just a matter of taste...

It is bizarre.

Haha, yeah - I reckon it's bizarre for guys like you who usually frequent the death metal thread. I don't. I guess that's one of the major differences between death metal and black metal - the epic and sometimes progressive structure of much black metal which requires a lengthy track.

I don't listen to death metal. I listen to some death/black fusion bands if it's good enough. I guess Arckanum's latest effort can be described as something in between.

Funny you should say that. I listen to FAR more Black Metal than Death Metal and have only recently been getting more into Death Metal,thus my increased post count in that thread. I understand that long track lengths can really help in black metal, it is just odd to exclude all tracks that aren't long.

Well, it's not at all about exclusion. I listen to (and really like) many black metal bands with rather short tracks such as: I Shalt Become, Krohm, Nocternity, Imperium Dekadenz, Taake, Farsot, Nachtmystium, Abigor, Leviathan, Lurker of Chalice etc.

But I prefer those epic pieces of art made by bands such as: Lunar Aurora, Nagelfar, Heimdall's Wacht, Paysage D'Hiver, Darkspace, Katharsis, Agalloch, WitTR, Krallice, Altar of Plagues, Lantlos, Negura Bunget, Deathspell Omega, Forgotten Woods, Drudkh, Blut Aus Nord, Forest of Stars, Peste Noire etc.

I just want to point out that vocal deliveries in black metal don't get much better than Unhold howling at the sky in "Already Dead" from Luror's Cease to Live:

We are dead angels, lost and forgotten
Without holy guidance
Or hope for salvation
Already dead but forced into life
Blessed by nothing but infinite strife

The day will come to return to heaven
To conquer divine ground
When the pentagram blazes up in the sky
We will remember how to fly

Those last two lines give me goosebumps without fail, every time.

I can't really decide if I like the first or second Luror discs better, both are fucking awesome really, and represent some of the finest in modern black metal. On the first album he basically successfully plays every kind of 2nd wave BM there was/is, in his own demented and excellent style. And the newest one has "...of Good Will" which always fucking kicks my ass.

I can't really decide if I like the first or second Luror discs better, both are fucking awesome really, and represent some of the finest in modern black metal. On the first album he basically successfully plays every kind of 2nd wave BM there was/is, in his own demented and excellent style. And the newest one has "...of Good Will" which always fucking kicks my ass.

I say the newest one, personally.

anti: I have actually. That whole comp rules. Unhold is kind of a genius.

d_t: yeah, I guess...but the first one BEGINS with TRY TO STOP THE SINISTA ONES AND FEEL THE I-RON HAND OF BLACKEST TERROR SWEEP YOUR INEFFABLE...EXISTENCE AWAAAAAAAAAY! Best opening ever.