Black Sabbath - I don't get it

"Anyone can sit around and be a technical guitarist or musician" - False

No. Technical proficiency also is not going to make you be able to write music up their with black sabbath let alone current older metal bands like say Candlemass,Amorphis, or Paradise Lost, the entire thing is these bands are more technically proficient than anyone in metal and do not have to prove it because they can write music and show talent in a non conventional way. Sure some new bands might be faster or more technical and that does not mean they are better musicians it's more they are technical and can't play or write music.

I've noticed the only metal bands many people listen to who think Sabbath is the best are Pantera, Megadeth, and Metallica. In other words, they only listen to the tip of the metal iceberg.

I don't see posters on serious metal forums claiming Sabbath or any metal band to be the best because such claims are nonsense.

:lol: :lol:

tell dodens (necuratul) or death delirium that you think they are clueless n00bs who know nothing about metal.

Exactly.

I think for guitar playing if you are willing to take a step beyond every other guitarist who sits in their room for hours doing scale runs and all sound the same, sure these people might have some place in music, but are not going to be the classic/traditional musicians or music for a newer generation.

I would explain this like say Scourg of God saying how Opeth is worthless and to me basically saying that something like Beneath The Massacre was better and should have there place when they can't even make music and are just fast and technical and do not have as much talent or have earned a spot. It's like look at me I play scales really fast and also play video games !!

I'm generally so sick of the current metal scene because most of the music in metal is exactly like this and the entire classic/traditional individuality is gone. Metal music now really just seems like it's who can play faster than who game or maybe that is what really metal music is about and I actually just like some bands that are labelled 'metal' bands.

Sabbath's only important era was up to 1975, after that the main problem was the realization that yes, you can do too many drugs.

Was Ozzy who did most of the drugs after 75 up to his dismissal in 78 by Iommi essentially.

They have had solid moments since then although nothing comparing to their classic era,
Heaven & Hell :rolleyes:

but what they did during those first years surpasses most bands of the last half century in terms of influence, relevance and historical importance.

In Metal and all it's sub genre's yes, in any other genre of rock (metal is a sub genre of rock in and of itself and/or is a evolution from it) or rock in general I would have to say no.

When I was in high school I liked Sabbath. I thought they had some great tunes but overrall just weren't that great or interesting as some of the other bands I was listening to.
Then I started actually buying their albums. As I listened to them again and again what really stood out for me was just how good the songwriting was. Sure other bands may seem more 'exciting' or 'sophisticated' but after time goes by those things diminish and what remains is songwriting. And Sabbath had that in spades for their first 6 albums (and even some after that).
That's why BS is still one of the best.

When I was in high school I liked Sabbath. I thought they had some great tunes but overrall just weren't that great or interesting as some of the other bands I was listening to.
Then I started actually buying their albums. As I listened to them again and again what really stood out for me was just how good the songwriting was. Sure other bands may seem more 'exciting' or 'sophisticated' but after time goes by those things diminish and what remains is songwriting. And Sabbath had that in spades for their first 6 albums (and even some after that).
My thoughts exactly. Not THE best but they are still up there.

I'll second that. Their stuff is pretty simple, but stuff like 'Killing Yourself to Live', 'Snowblind' and 'Symptom of the Universe' is just pure kick-ass catchy memorable riffs.

And that in turn makes them essential, or at least the first six albums, which are nothing short of genuine masterpieces. The best? Perhaps. Ask all those musicians whose music you listen to daily, and the majority would name check Sabbath as an influence.

Foolish is the the man who denies Sabbath's place among metal's elite.

^^ End of story.

People who rate Sabbath as their favourites simply find the music more pleasing than any other band. This could be pure aesthetics, messages that drive emotions effectively, the number of their releases they enjoy, the degree to which they were innovators or influenced music or something as totally illogical as "I like Ozzy's haircut".

People who rate Sabbath as or among, the best, give weight to the more factual things and would argue their importance and degree of innovation etc. This is what J. argued and it is fairly indisputable.

Where is the confusion - as there isn't much to get? There will always be fanboys who think the sun shines out of Iommi's arse, but they are discounting the quality of other bands more than they are exaggerating the importance of Sabbath.

*edit*

more interesting would be to know how many of the people who hate / dislike / think Sabbath is overrated, still like doom in the vein of Sabbath (Pagan Altar, Candlemass, Pentagram etc.)

I like Black Sabbath and sometimes listen to them when i am in the right mood. That would mean, it needs to be summer and i want to be relaxed.
But i think most of their songs get boring very fast and after a phase of liking Black Sabbath i usually can't stand them for a while.
They did some really good stuff, but saying they were the best metal band is grotesque to me.

Exactly. I like Sabbath, but they are nowhere near a favorite of mine, largely because they are so heavily blues influenced. I don't like rock or hard rock, because it is basically modernized blues.

Well, Black Sabbath is probably my all-time favorite band, and I'll admit that a lot of the appeal comes from their use of the blues scale. I think many of the catchiest, most pleasing, and most powerful riffs in rock/metal rely on the scale -- and Black Sabbath were masters at exploiting it.

If you're judging them based on their early albums, you might want to try Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage, as these are generally more 'melodic' than the early stuff. Of course, they're also more stylistically eclectic and less heavy, so that might be a minus for you.

I can understand why they might not work for people who are into more melodramatic, chaotic, or 'busy' metal. Sabbath had a pretty laid-back and simplistic sound (most of the time), and that sound just clicks really well with me.

As to whether they deserve to be called the best metal band ever: you do have to give them credit for revolutionizing rock music, and for the absolutely massive influence they had. And even if you don't like blues-based music, it's hard to deny that they wrote some fantastic, memorable riffs -- and lots of them -- so I'd say their songwriting talent is at least above average.

I have always preferred the Dio Era Sabbath. But I think their influence makes them the best, although I find them just good...nothing extraordinary.

I like Deep Purple more than Black Sabbath, though.

^

Yes, Sabbath are good, not the best. Saying Sabbath are the best metal band because they were the first is like saying Metallica is the best thrash band just because they were the first.

^

Yes, Sabbath are good, not the best. Saying Sabbath are the best metal band because they were the first is like saying Metallica is the best thrash band just because they were the first.

yeah, but why would anyone say that ... they wouldn't unless they were an utter idiot. in which case, you'd be an idiot to either listen to them or, or be influenced by their opinion. there is NO ONE with a credible opinion saying: "sabbath is the best because they were first ..."

and that being the extent of their argument ...

this whole discussion is as stupid as someone saying the above.

Umm, there is no "best" metal band. Sabbath are hugely influential pioneers of the genre we all love, what's not to get?

Simple answer:
When I listen to them today, they sound better to me than 99.9% of anything else I own/listen to/download/check out/whatever.

Sometimes, someone says something so simple its truth makes me want to punch the air in gratitude. So thankyou, Demilich, for representing my opinion!

Other than that, I would say that Sabbath have a unique place in my heart. By nature, I love riffs, and there is no denying that Iommi can crack riffs off like I can crack wanks off - he's the fucking daddy. I also think the lyrics, while occasionally awful, often stick in my mind. Add to that the amazing simplicity of Bill Ward drumming and the skill of Geezer Butler, and you have one amazing band. I'm actually dying to see Heaven and Hell live.

Simple answer:
When I listen to them today, they sound better to me than 99.9% of anything else I own/listen to/download/check out/whatever.

Exactly. Their music today is still so damn heavy and to think that back in 1972 these songs were out there blows my mind. You can just imagine how heavy they must have been back then.
They have influenced more bands today than any other. I can't think of another band that deserves the title of 'best metal band ever" than Sabbath, Not only because of their contribution (and some may say, creation) of heavy metal but because they recorded some of the best songs/albums in history.
If you don't get them, you don't get them, don't concern yourself too much about it.