Black Sabbath - I don't get it

All I said was that it would be pretty stupid of somebody to look down on somebody else for not having done drugs, and I think that's a reasonable thing to say. I didn't name any names.

Putting on Sweat Leaf from Master Of Reality while smoking some pot = the meaning of live. Well i´ve never actually smoked pot,but the song has always kicked ass.
Not sure whether to laugh at how stupid that was or cry at how pathetic it was.

I look down on those who have never even tried it, but say that it's bad and that people who do it are losers. I used to smoke all the time, but I don't smoke anymore (it started making me depressed for some reason, but that was over ten years ago already).

I've never tried it. I feel that it's mildly harmful, but there are much worse things you can do to yourself (that are completely legal). I don't look down on stoners or anything.

Anybody who looks down on somebody for not having tried drugs is fucking retarded.
fyp

^ You actually think that i seriously meant that smoking pot while listening to Sweet Leaf is the meaning of life when i haven´t even smoked pot?
I was making a pun,Sweet Leaf is a song which makes smoking pot seem like a good ride to someone who´ve never tried it.

Uptight:lol:. Small talk can be a nice time killer if you dont have to analyze what other people say all the time.

How do you guys think the Dio era records would have sounded with Ozzy on vocals? I dont think he would have fit in so well with the more epic material,but it would have been interesting to hear if we play with the thought.

Yeah,and i think it´s the same way with Dio on vocals when they play the Ozzy era songs,he doesn´t fit in well with the bluesier material either.
That says something about how much they changed in the songwriting appartment.

Dio definitely fits the more epic, bombastic sound they employed on the post-Ozzy albums. I can't picture Ozzy's frail-sounding voice holding up to that.

Sure, I think they are good. And sure, they were the first metal band. However, they are FAR from being a favorite band of mine, and they are FAR from the most talented metal band ever, both in compositional ability and technical musical proficiency. So, can someone please explain to me how so many people think that Black Sabbath are the best metal band that ever existed. And don't say "because they were the first." Sure, it's a fact that they were the first, but I wanna hear concrete evidence that they were the best, because I just don't see it.

*prepares for an onslaught of flames*

i realise this is the 14th page of this thread and this has been done to death, nonetheless:

there are two fundamental flaws to this post:

i) you say they were "FAR from the most talented... in technical musical proficiency" - thats not the point, and nobody ever said that they were. no doom metal places emphasis on technical virtuosity, its about atmosphere

ii)you say you want "concrete evidence that they were the best" - possibly the stupidest thing ive ever heard. how do you prove that a band is good? its about the listeners perception of music that makes it good. my favourite darkthrone album is Under a Funeral Moon but I cant PROVE that its better than their others, im just of the opinion that it is. it just so happens that a lot of people share the opinion that black sabbath are very good

:zombie:

i realise this is the 14th page of this thread and this has been done to death, nonetheless:

there are two fundamental flaws to this post:

i) you say they were "FAR from the most talented... in technical musical proficiency" - thats not the point, and nobody ever said that they were. no doom metal places emphasis on technical virtuosity, its about atmosphere

ii)you say you want "concrete evidence that they were the best" - possibly the stupidest thing ive ever heard. how do you prove that a band is good? its about the listeners perception of music that makes it good. my favourite darkthrone album is Under a Funeral Moon but I cant PROVE that its better than their others, im just of the opinion that it is. it just so happens that a lot of people share the opinion that black sabbath are very good

:zombie:
I agree that "good" is the wrong term. I was essentially referring to how challenging their music is to both compose and play.

Just listened to "Headless Cross" a while ago. "Kill in the Spirit World" is insanly catchy. Martin's voice just flows so well with the music.

agreed, i actually love that album. another underrated post-ozzy classic is Neon Knights on Heaven and Hell. love the middle section, so amazing

If you dont like Sabbath in some way or another, or don't carry any form of respect for them at least, then you are just plain homosexual.

agreed, i actually love that album. another underrated post-ozzy classic is Neon Knights on Heaven and Hell. love the middle section, so amazing

Neon Knights is definitely the best post-Ozzy song Sabbath ever did. Best post-Dio song is probably The Shining.