Blackwater Park

As I first listened to Blackwater Park, I was a little bit dissatified. I missed these spine-clutching acoustic interludi (Still Life), it all seemed too shallow... But I listened on and on and now I have to admit that BP is a masterpiece, Opeths best album to date, a real "grower". More than on all other releases, there is a stress on their Prog-Rock-roots, and the production is fantastic! If they develop in such a way in the future, they are the only band who should be able to sweep King Crimson from my Rock-Olympus (even Sabbath failed!).

P.S: There are rumours that a friend of the band has filmed the studio sessions of BP and wants to release the footage. Does anyone know more?

Originally posted by Myrmideon
P.S: There are rumours that a friend of the band has filmed the studio sessions of BP and wants to release the footage. Does anyone know more?

It was filmed, that's for sure. but if it's ever going to be released... who knows?
this is what they wrote on the official page (in case somebody missed it):"During the recording a independent film-crew documented the entire recording. As for now, the movie is not said to ever be released, but who knows...if the demand is there. Fredrik Odefjärd, director of this documentary is a childhood friend of Mikael Åkerfeldt, and it is rumoured the two have been discussing some co-operation in the future as well."

Originally posted by General Zod
While I consider myself an Opeth fan, Nevermore is my favorite band. These two bands couldn't be more dissimilar. Aside from the fact that both bands are exceptionally gifted, they sound nothing alike. I would be curious to learn:

1 - What Nevermore CDs you own
2 - What Opeth CDs you own
3 - How much music you listen to

GZ

1 - In Memory, Dreaming Neon Black, Dead heart in a dead world
2 - Blackwater park
3- A hell of alot thanks very much, Most of which is Iron Maiden and Nevermore

It was just my opinion ok, if you dont like it fair enough. I played it to a couple of my friends today, they also thought it was similar to Nevermore. Anyway bye

Originally posted by Druardim
The only band Opeth can be compared to is, Maiden(ofcourse maybe a few more but this is the most obvious). Infact most of the melodic Swedish bands can be compared to maiden; In Flames, Dark Tranquility. They all use that trademark double harmony riffage but adding their own original twists. In flames are like the new "maiden" , Dark Tranquility were very much early on but have developed into more original style of melodic death metal. Opeth, being my favorite, take the Maiden aspect and bring it to a new level of great music. It's like they were listening to songs "To Tame a Land..." and "Rime of The Ancient Mariner" and just wanted to form a band consistant on epic music.
Opeth are definitely influenced by Maiden to a point, much like In Flames, DT and other melodic metal from Gothenburg Sweden. But Opeth's epic influence definitely comes more from progressive rock of the 70s. Mikael has said in interviews that his greatest influences come from bands like Yes and Camel, and it definitely shows in epics like the ones on Morningrise, and in a less grand scale in the newer material. BTW, for fans of Opeth or good progressive music in general, check out Yes' "Fragile" or "Close to the Edge" albums. Camel is also great, but harder to find. Check out "Moonmadness" or "The Snow Goose," or anything you can find by them. I have found there is much better music to listen to from the 70s and 60s than in recent times, and I'm sure I'm not the first. ;)
If anyone wants a list of great classic prog albums, I'll be happy to oblige. I consider it a specialty of mine. :D

Originally posted by Druardim

To Fushion 420: Trust me, seeing Opeth live is going to be an awesome experience for you.
I have already seen them twice and am very pleased to of had the opportunity. They sound, "live", just like the album. I was even impressed to see him pull off the clean vocals live.

What was the set list like? How long was it and what songs did they play from what albums?

Billy

I love Opeth's music..... Nobody gets close to their perfectness.....
I have all their cd's, but Blackwater Park is becoming my favorite.... Everytime I listen to it, I discover something new.... Something subtle, ingenius...... And the song Blackwater Park..... Name a greater masterpiece..... I think that's an impossible task....

to Fusion 420(in regards to Opeth's 70's prog inflences): Oh definately, that's very much
shown throughout their song writing. I do have Yes' "Fragile" on vinyl but I like some other progg/70's experimental bands.
Here is some of my 70's vinyl....

Bo Hansson (Swedish dude who wrote interesting music and did an album "Music inspired to
The Lord Of The Rings books" back in 1970 -among others-)

Mike Oldfield- "Tubular Bells" , "Omadawn" (or however it's spelled) I doubt I need to give this guy an intro , for he seems a little more popular having his song on the Exorcist soundtrack even though it not a scary song what so ever! haha If you listen to the full version anyways.
Vengalis - "The Dragon" this is some interesting music from the mid 70's. Nice song structure with diverse mix of instruments.

Hawkwind - Unique in mixing aspects of sci-fi trip out-ness to rock.

Kitaro - (Japanese guy) , now his 70's material can be defined as emotional yet wondering kind of music....I mean I can lost in a dream while absorbing his albums.

Uriah Heep - Ok, not exactly Progg but some very awesome music. It in some ways was more artistic than Deep Purple.

Amon Duul - German band with a mix of rock, almost some opera and progg elements. They had some dark but soothing music as well other kinds.

obviously there are thousands of these kinds of bands but the ones above are ones in which I dig quite a bit. Thanks for the Camel recomendation...that's one band I haven't dwelved into much.

I think you may have already got the set list but here's the answer to your question anyways.
Play list for Opeth(I may be out of order) :

White Cluster
Forest of October
Advent
The Drapery Falls
Demon of the fall

this is one of the most epic bumps i've ever seen...good work bang

bwp is better than Deliverance

Blackwater Park is by far my favourite album, it was the first one i heard and i loved it, one of my favourite albums of all times personally. :worship: