Can Opeth get any bigger?

Alex78

Fretbuzz Virtuoso
Jul 12, 2002
Germany
Visit site
do you think that Opeth can get more popular than now, if they keep the death vocals? as far as I can tell they made a huge leap forward since Damnation and GR. they sure are one of the biggest bands with DM influences.
but most people just can't get over the death vox(as a matter of taste or whatever), so I wonder if their popularity will be forever limited? I tend to think so...

I really dont know. Define bigger first. more fans? sure, why not? bigger as in more mainstream? I hope not if that means that getting rid of that brutal grunt and "7 minutes or more" songs. But for them I would like to see more fans: bigger venues and gigs. I truly love their music and I would like to share that with many more people without having the band to lose their magic.
did I make any sense?

Opeth will always be a death metal band at heart....and therefore will not be "popular"

yes, but they did Damnation. to me it's imaginable that one day they will drop the death vox completely(but keep the heavy guitars), thus appealing to a broader audience. which isn't necessarily a bad thing imo

hmmmm....i think at most they could become as big as dream theater, actually that might be pushing it, they would have to keep putting out records for another 10 years or so.
I actually think theres a good chance that opeth will drop death metal growls, which, i hate to even think about, but that would obviously make them more accessible and they would probably get bigger.

They'll probably just end up becoming a prog band much like early Camel, maybe with some Yes CTTE-esque element thrown in. Which would be no bad thing.

do you think that Opeth can get more popular than now, if they keep the death vocals? as far as I can tell they made a huge leap forward since Damnation and GR. they sure are one of the biggest bands with DM influences.
but most people just can't get over the death vox(as a matter of taste or whatever), so I wonder if their popularity will be forever limited? I tend to think so...
I think they have reached their popularity level...but if Akerfeldt,Wilson,Portonoy trio happens it will be HUGE...maybe im just dreaming.
As far as Mendez, ive asked this ques. before and never got an answer. Heard rumors that he was on heroin and it wasnt anxiety etc...any truth to that??

I think they have reached their popularity level...but if Akerfeldt,Wilson,Portonoy trio happens it will be HUGE...maybe im just dreaming.
As far as Mendez, ive asked this ques. before and never got an answer. Heard rumors that he was on heroin and it wasnt anxiety etc...any truth to that??

I'm assuming you mean Lopez, right? Unless I'm missing out on something.

Opeth does have the potental to be metallica-esque big.......the biggest heavy ...well mainstream metal band....but thats about it......though Im sure that level of success does warrant some compromises and what not....!!!!....and being the nobel songwriters they are .....i don;t see it happening...!!!.....but will be interesting to see at what level thier fame peaks....i say Opeth is still growing...!!!....as in audience wise....!!!....and thhey will be getting more and more fans with each record ....!!!.......i hope that answers it.......PEAC EOUT

if the growls were dropped and it was 10 years ago they could have been as big as tool, but i dont see them getting a whole lot bigger

hmmmm....i think at most they could become as big as dream theater, actually that might be pushing it, they would have to keep putting out records for another 10 years or so.
I actually think theres a good chance that opeth will drop death metal growls, which, i hate to even think about, but that would obviously make them more accessible and they would probably get bigger.

Yes I agree about the Dream Theater comment, it seems that with a band like Opeth this will be the potential popularity height that I can see them achieving without becoming mainstream, which isnt a bad a thing at all, becuase DT does get pretty big gigs. But if Opeth gets to this level I would be suprised, but I do think they can easily have the largest fan base for a death metal band.

@ Waz: hmm...isn't Metallica the biggest band overall?

well lets put it this way....even 'tallica .....had to OPEN for the rolling stones......also U2 heck even coldplay is gettin in that super star status....i think metallica has alil more to go...but srely are def. one of the big guys...no doubt.......PEAC EOUT

As they stand now, I doubt Opeth could ever appeal to a "mainstream" audience. However, there are a significant number of prog fans who might come over if they dropped the death vox (please God no!) or if Mike continues to get involved in side projects with better-known musicians like Portnoy.

Basically, if they end up on the right gigs or in the right side projects, they might be able to tap deeper into the existing prog metal fanbase, but they could never attract mainstream attention without significantly altering their style. If you think about it, even bands like Dream Theater aren't truly that "big" in terms of radio airplay and such. Long songs are prohibitive, and when you ditch catchy choruses for guitar solos... and when you add in death growls...