Charlie giving Bush the Finger?

Those are probably my favorite fake sounding drums ever.

The drums are ahead of their time! I guess with the bass guitar so low in the mix, there was some missing low end that fills in the eq of the drums. With such a clicky and thumpy kick drum tone, they're eq'ing around 1khz and <100hz

The drums are ahead of their time! I guess with the bass guitar so low in the mix, there was some missing low end that fills in the eq of the drums. With such a clicky and thumpy kick drum tone, they're eq'ing around 1khz and <100hz

Yeah that Bassdrum sound started a revolution for sure. My fave. No wonder the bass was turned down, guitars bass and bassdrum competing for the same space in the mix. How did they pull off that dry and punchy sound at the same time?

I never said that those drums were fake. They're just fake sounding and it's mostly due to the fact that it was Metallica's first run at using drum triggers which were kind of a new thing at the time. What you end up hearing in the final mix is mostly drum samples and not the drums. They still ended up getting a neat sound even if it's a bit phony. There are ways to get around it if you really try. Chances are that Lars just wasn't hitting loudly and evenly enough which can lend to giving a sloppy performance. Drum triggers can help clean that up both live and in the studio. In Lars' defense, I heard somewhere a while back that Flemming Rasmussen was the one that sold Lars on the idea of recording like this.

I never said that those drums were fake. They're just fake sounding and it's mostly due to the fact that it was Metallica's first run at using drum triggers which were kind of a new thing at the time. What you end up hearing in the final mix is mostly drum samples and not the drums. They still ended up getting a neat sound even if it's a bit phony. There are ways to get around it if you really try. Chances are that Lars just wasn't hitting loudly and evenly enough which can lend to giving a sloppy performance. Drum triggers can help clean that up both live and in the studio. In Lars' defense, I heard somewhere a while back that Flemming Rasmussen was the one that sold Lars on the idea of recording like this.

Actually Lars was one of the hardest hitters ever, to me that's the reason for inconsistant tempos. Triggers ? that's news to me. Please provided some thing to back that up because as far as I'm aware, triggers have become a recent thing for Lars's bassdrums in a Live setting for PA reasons. Not saying you're wrong, just wanna know more. :kickass:

I don't actually think they intended the title as a slam at Joey...

Of course they did! :guh: Sure, there was a political angle, but...two singers? Scott forever saying John was the greater one? It's pretty fucking obvious the title of GoTE was a dig at Joey. I mean, did you even read any of the interviews Scott did around that time, totally talking shit about Joey every chance he got? It was a fucking joke.

Actually Lars was one of the hardest hitters ever, to me that's the reason for inconsistant tempos. Triggers ? that's news to me. Please provided some thing to back that up because as far as I'm aware, triggers have become a recent thing for Lars's bassdrums in a Live setting for PA reasons. Not saying you're wrong, just wanna know more. :kickass:

This has nothing to do with playing live. It was more of a decision on the part of the recording engineer. I think it was in the interest of staying current, technically speaking. It's been years, but I forget where I read or heard this. Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking it. It really is one of my favorite trigger sounds mainly in the way that it really doesn't sound like much else. Not only do real drums not sound like that, but most triggered sounds these days don't either. There were a lot of weird choices made in recording of metal bands in the late eighties. Gated reverb on the snare was also quite popular.

This has nothing to do with playing live. It was more of a decision on the part of the recording engineer. I think it was in the interest of staying current, technically speaking. It's been years, but I forget where I read or heard this. Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking it. It really is one of my favorite trigger sounds mainly in the way that it really doesn't sound like much else. Not only do real drums not sound like that, but most triggered sounds these days don't either. There were a lot of weird choices made in recording of metal bands in the late eighties. Gated reverb on the snare was also quite popular.

But ALL the 'real drums' you're hearing on any album don't sound like that during the recording session. The kick drum especially goes through the mandatory compression/mid range eq cut. Snare, toms and cymbals are all eq'd.

But ALL the 'real drums' you're hearing on any album don't sound like that during the recording session. The kick drum especially goes through the mandatory compression/mid range eq cut. Snare, toms and cymbals are all eq'd.

Perhaps, but only if the artist and engineer make those decisions. There are tons of albums that have natural sounding drums. Examples that come to mind are Meshuggah and the new Anthrax stuff.

Perhaps, but only if the artist and engineer make those decisions. There are tons of albums that have natural sounding drums. Examples that come to mind are Meshuggah and the new Anthrax stuff.

Meshuggah? Dude, have you ever listened closely to those drums? You will notice that there is no bass coming in from the kick drum, it's all just 'click'. The bass was eqd out of the kick

It depends on which Meshuggah album you're talking about. Regardless of how that last one was recorded, the drums sounded pretty live for once.

I guess im at the point where i dont really care who's singing for Anthrax anymore as long as its good and its not Corey Taylor. And if Bush dont wanna be there then im glad its Joey. WM is awesome and from Joey's performance on it, it makes you wonder why they bothered changing singers in the first place. Best record they've done in forever and already looking forward to the next one.