chat, feelings, and random discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
bought flat and made it alive. now it's all about organizing the transition. i'm tired and a bit scared of the 5,604 things i have to do in the next 4 days, but i tend to live through all this stuff, normally.

@Undo Control: Hahah you should know that I have already obtained that message (the one of NO MORE SMILEYS FOR YE!!! :cry: :p ) several times.

@DArk_Silence: Actually, Diet Pepsi causes me diarrea, so i don't drink it that much :p :yuk: :puke: :cry: :lol: :rolleyes: .

i also hate that he would use 'ye' rather than 'you' all the time.

this aside, i've got two millions of logistical problems weighing on my mind and, while i like a challenge, i would really like to have quick shortcuts. which i don't have. all this growing up thing and yet there are no rose petals thrown at me, not even congratulations from people who should know better, as if it didn't matter. this is a puzzle.

@UC: Hahaha ok :p

^ Undo didn't say he hated it, so why did ye used also? :yuk:

And with the ye, I like to use it because it sounds very Old-English like, if it isn't anyway.

rahvin said:
Proper grammar, like all kinds of culture, is notoriously overrated after all.

Maybe we need to switch to rules that are commonly used in larger forums (proper spelling/capitalization, no netspeak etc)? From my experience, it's just a question of habit - the mods reprimand rule-breakers and are strict for the first two-four weeks, then everyone starts behaving and the level of clarity of discussions is enhanced.

hyena said:
Maybe we need to switch to rules that are commonly used in larger forums (proper spelling/capitalization, no netspeak etc)? From my experience, it's just a question of habit - the mods reprimand rule-breakers and are strict for the first two-four weeks, then everyone starts behaving and the level of clarity of discussions is enhanced.

I'd be in favor of it, but it's the level of discussion that concerns me more as of now: with next to no serious topics being debated on a constant basis, it's moot to force people to be at least moderately literate when they're basically tossing one-liners to each other. Still, the community is fairly active of late, and I'm starting to reprimand the most blatant AOL-speakers a little more seriously. I don't think compulsory capitalization should be enforced, and I really cannot expect so many non-native speakers to check for typos every time they post, but I do plan a turn of the screw when it comes to netspeak, total lack of punctuation, and various lollerisms (which are so 2003 anyway!).

KitKat said:
I think LBRH's posts are funny and cute with all the smileys ! :)

:) finally people are understanding my passion for smileys :cry: :p .

@Rhavin: Well, I write like this on purpose, ye know, since it's a phorum and all I don't feel the need to write properly. And I study English teaching, so believe me, I know me stuff.

@UC: Yeah I don't know what's happening, maybe it's because lately I've been feeling really sad/confused/with lots on my mind.

Hehe don't worry I believe ye :cool: :) :oops: :p .

h said:
Until another group of aussies joins without reading the rules. :rolleyes:

Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood said:
@Rhavin: Well, I write like this on purpose, ye know, since it's a phorum and all I don't feel the need to write properly.

Well, see discussion above and start feeling the need a little more, will you? [Add emoticon here! Quick!]

@Undo: You're way too optimistic: everybody joins without reading the rules. Otherwise I could just check this board two times a year.

rahvin said:
I don't think compulsory capitalization should be enforced, and I really cannot expect so many non-native speakers to check for typos every time they post, but I do plan a turn of the screw when it comes to netspeak, total lack of punctuation, and various lollerisms (which are so 2003 anyway!).
*100% in favor of that*

rahvin said:
@Undo: You're way too optimistic: everybody joins without reading the rules. Otherwise I could just check this board two times a year.
Well, at least some of us read them a week or two after joining... ;)

@rahvin, uc: i agree on the fact that non-natives should not be punished for innocent typos (where aussies are concerned i wouldn't know: does it count as a hate crime if you punish someone based on their inadequacy at their native language?). but i'm all for a tightening of the rules, and i don't even want a poll or a survivor vote; there's a reason why we have mods and i'll gladly submit to any spelling-, grammar- or style-related rule they may want to enforce.

edit: on the other hand, i'm not so worried where the contents are concerned. after all, we had a few nice exchanges in the politics thread a few days ago, and we also have some occasional interesting topics in the random discussion thread. i reckon that the fitness thread i made might not interest everyone, but from the perspective of someone who digs such things i think it's turning out to be interesting. i could say the same for the other topic-specific threads that exist. i'm slightly baffled by the one-liners too, and of course there are plenty of forums where those are prohibited too... but i think they can live, if confined to the chat thread and the newbies thread (what do you want to say to a newbie after all? :p ).

Status
Not open for further replies.