chat, feelings, and random discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zack said:
Umm basically, I've forgotten how hilarious peasants are. We were doing feudalism in history today and I was just like, "I miss my husband/DT board/UC/everyone here that is so nice" Then I come here to post, and have nothing funny to say, so I just make a shit post like this one, and go get pounded in the ass by my new master, who sucks btw
:oops: I feel so loved...

Errrrr, Zack, i didn't mean by you, but thanks for the compliment. ;)

No, seriously, why don't you become a regular again? I'm sure the funniness will start flowing at once.

i have a dreadful lapse of memory at the moment - rahvin, what is lampadario in english?

rahvin said:
I would assume it's chandelier, since candeliere is either candleholder or candelabrum. Actually, it's not really because of that, but you know what I mean.

is candeliere a word in italian? i thought it was candelabro. anyway, thanks for the pointer - the merriam-webster dictionary lists the following for chandelier: "a branched often ornate lighting fixture suspended from a ceiling". so i think it would apply to what we normally refer to as a lampadario d'epoca or something, not the run-of-the-mill thing? that's because it has to be "branched" - i guess to hold different candles or lamps... and a visit to some related web sites confirms the impression. i am under the impression that a normal, ikea-style lampadario is called a pendant light, a pendant lamp or a pendant downlighter depending on how it looks like, but it just sounds too awful to be true. oh, by the way, a plafoniera is a ceiling light.

all of this was to say that yesterday i've bought two pendant lamps, two ceiling lights, one table lamp and eight recessed spotlights (faretti a incasso) for my new flat. also, i have a proper chandelier, but i didn't buy it - couldn't have afforded it anyway, so hooray for my mom who sent it to me.

@hyena: I can confirm about the use of candeliere as an equally widespread, possibly more generic alternative to candelabro. As far as the rest goes, I stand corrected: there is probably no way at all to say lampadario in English, the way we normally use the word. :lol: It might as well be that we are in fact only using it properly (in Italian) when we're referring to the branched lighting fixture: specific nouns such as plafoniera maybe apply even for the kind that hangs suspended, when it consists of a lampbulb screwed in on some random glass or plastic fixture. Some posh magazine about stylish furniture might hold the answer.

:lol:

by the way, i won the darwin prize for apartment renovation today. it's my fourth experience (of renovations, not of darwin prizes) so i thought i was in a safe area, but it turns out one can always be stupid. after buying the pendant lamps (hah!) i belatedly remembered that in two of the rooms there was no wiring coming out from the ceiling, because the previous owners preferred halogen lamps and spotlights positioned on small tables. so i deduced that the hole for the wiring had been closed, but the wiring was still there - in my defense, that's what normally happens, but that was not the case. the workers made holes in all the right places - no wires. where is the fun in the story? that i had already made them paint the fucking rooms. so now they need to drill a canal for the wires, drill a wiring hole for the ceiling, connect the whole shindig, repair the walls, repaint. they're not going to ask me for additional money, but the foreman, who up to tonight maintained - fueled by a zero-incidents renovation of another flat and various interactions over computer stuff - the opinion that i am a distinguished and smart professional, was looking at me in such a bewildered manner that i am still more than a tad embarassed. of course this means that my monday appointment for the hanging of the lamps will have to be posponed, because there will be no wiring yet. and so on and so forth. fuck. TEH IDIOT.

hyena said:
they're not going to ask me for additional money
That's amazing. The only type of handymen I've found so far have either, A, price-gouged me; B, been incompetent; or C, both. Most recently, the guy I hired to remove my old clothes-dryer was intent on dragging it across my hardwood floors. :zombie: Thank God I was standing there and wouldn't let him. He did manage to rip through my vinyl kitchen floor tiles though.

Lina said:
intent on dragging it across my hardwood floors. :zombie:

My roommate and I ripped our dishwasher out of our apartment (across our hardwood floors) one day, when we realized (after months of disuse) it had become home to the BBEG (big bad evil guy, for those of you who don't speak D&D) from Men In Black, as well as all of his little relatives. I think the highlight, though, was me trying to rip the flexible steel cabling for the water input in half to detach it from our sink (they'd used those damn strips to secure the bolts in place) with a plain 'ole hammer. Somehow I did... but the resulting sharpened steel did a number on the floor... and the hallway outside... somehow they never picked up on the fact that it was us, though. *Follows the scratch marks back to the door...*

And I'm very surprised they're not charging you more, Hyena. Hell, just reading that makes my brain scream "Change Order!". But perhaps it's not worth it to them. I don't know.

~kov.

UndoControl said:
:oops: I feel so loved...

Errrrr, Zack, i didn't mean by you, but thanks for the compliment. ;)

No, seriously, why don't you become a regular again? I'm sure the funniness will start flowing at once.

Okay :) Im getting a new shuffle :D It's even more random than the other one I had

Kovenant84 said:
Well, if you really want, I'll use my cam to make a video of it, but that would result in quite a bit of :puke:

Basically, you know that crap that accumulates on the bridge of your nose? I've heard people refer to it as 'sleep'. Basically, it's goopy crap from your eyes. I just catch it before it accumulates, and peel it away from the inside of my eyelid in one big line. It's actually pretty gross, but refreshing, in a 'cracking-ones-knuckles' kind of way.

~kov.

i actually do the same, i asked since it sounded quite familiar :p
when my allergy kicks in during spring/summer i get that, definitely annoying :ill:

I think he died of a brain hemorrhidge or something. Its in the announcements section, but it's not in the one listed above.

Oh, by the way, I drink hell of gatorade now, it's ridiculous. Just thought I'd atlert you on my latest happenings.

Anyone here have an Ipod Shuffle? Am I a loner?

Kovenant84 said:
And I'm very surprised they're not charging you more, Hyena. Hell, just reading that makes my brain scream "Change Order!". But perhaps it's not worth it to them. I don't know.
~kov.

Well, I guess that this is because I know the guy, I have been consistently employing him for my own repair needs and giving his number to friends of mine who wanted a company for renovations etc - moreover, i tend to give free computer classes to his daughters. So he's cutting me some slack.

Zack said:
Anyone here have an Ipod Shuffle? Am I a loner?

Well, I used to have the old 512Mb model. But then I got busted. I took it to the Mac store over here, and the guy coldn't repair it. So he said he needed the bill with which I bought it, and which I do not have because my grandpa gave me that shuffle because he opened an account at some bank in Canada.

So I just have the corpse of the 512Mb iPod.

I'm getting pretty sick of them, I don't like that you can't hear cds directly on them :p . No really, I'll buy a Sony discman now. Quite expensive, but I think it's worth the purchase. The new iPods (specially the 1G shuffle) are quite nice though, and even though they're quite cheap (1G = $80 o_O ), I still won't buy one hehe :cool: .

i had the old 20gb ipod, but i didnt like it, it froze so many times, and it was annoying to have to use itunes to import music on it... Now i have a md player I bought for 37euros on ebay. It s working great, it s small enough to be put in one s pocket and can contain more music than a regular cd player. it is still bigger than a mp3 player, but i can take more music than on a small 1gb one, and i didnt have to spend a lot of money for a 20gb mp3 player!

Dark_Silence said:
i had the old 20gb ipod, but i didnt like it, it froze so many times, and it was annoying to have to use itunes to import music on it... Now i have a md player I bought for 37euros on ebay. It s working great, it s small enough to be put in one s pocket and can contain more music than a regular cd player. it is still bigger than a mp3 player, but i can take more music than on a small 1gb one, and i didnt have to spend a lot of money for a 20gb mp3 player!

My friend's does that too (freeze), but after a year or so of work.

Well, you have to use another program to transfer files anyway - Windows Explorer or iTunes, whatever. iPods play video now (great for the long trips, and I can watch Pirates of the Caribbean, finally :heh:), they are 80 GBs etc etc

I use my Pocket PC as MP3 player, plus it keeps everything - contacts, appointments - in order, also plays video and has WiFi. I'm buying a smartphone with all those features as soon as something worthy and affordable on the market.

i actually have a panasonic discman, plays cds and mp3s burnt to cds.. havent had one problem with it, comes with rechargable batteries, plus external battery case for extra batteries.
lasts a long while, and has a remote on the headphones.
the headphones are actually semi decent too.
hard to make it skip too..

was expensive at the time, but its so versatile and works great.

every time i think of getting an ipod, i can think of reasons why not to get one.

plintus said:
My friend's does that too (freeze), but after a year or so of work.

Well, you have to use another program to transfer files anyway - Windows Explorer or iTunes, whatever. iPods play video now (great for the long trips, and I can watch Pirates of the Caribbean, finally :heh:), they are 80 GBs etc etc

I use my Pocket PC as MP3 player, plus it keeps everything - contacts, appointments - in order, also plays video and has WiFi. I'm buying a smartphone with all those features as soon as something worthy and affordable on the market.

i tried winamp to transfer the files, it worked great until the day the program didnt want to recognise that the Ipod was plugged in my computer... the ipod is now 1,5 year old and i dont use it anymore...
For videos, i prefer my laptop!

Status
Not open for further replies.