CHICAGO POWERFEST 2008: More Bands & On-Sale Date Announced

Forbidden, Sadus, or Death Angel would make my day. Well, Nuclear Assault too, but dreams of classic thrash are usually just dreams to see in the Midwest.

Dont want to turn Powerfest into a "where are they now?" type show. Sure those bands were great once, but that was over 20 years ago almost. These are the bands who are basically back to make a quick buck. I would rather see younger newer acts who are hungry to play and will put on a great show.

Dont want to turn Powerfest into a "where are they now?" type show. Sure those bands were great once, but that was over 20 years ago almost. These are the bands who are basically back to make a quick buck. I would rather see younger newer acts who are hungry to play and will put on a great show.
I totally agree with this .. well said. Honestly I kind of feel the same way about Testament as well.

Britt

I love thrash. Just that having lots of older bands playing kinda brins certain tone that lots of fest have. Kinda like a "washed up" weekend. When people see a flyer for the show...they say! Dear God, they are still around.
That isnt what a promoter wants to hear. they want to hear....Holy Shit, they are playing...I have to go.

I just can't think of any modern thrash (and I don't mean just thrash influenced) bands that do it as well as the old schoolers. I don't think one or two "old" bands will make it a "washed up weekend". Anyway, not like this discussion changes anything. :)

I totally agree with this .. well said. Honestly I kind of feel the same way about Testament as well.

Britt

I understand this argument from people who are not fans of Testament. But for those of us who are this is a real treat. I've never seen Testament live and to see them with Skolnick will be unreal.

Having said that, I don't think it's my fault that I was 9 yrs old when Sadus and Testament were in their prime. I missed out on all of that and it sucks.

I understand this argument from people who are not fans of Testament. But for those of us who are this is a real treat. I've never seen Testament live and to see them with Skolnick will be unreal.

Having said that, I don't think it's my fault that I was 9 yrs old when Sadus and Testament were in their prime. I missed out on all of that and it sucks.

It was an amazing time. Back then shows were always insane. Sometimes you actually feared for your life with how crazy it would get. Testament do put on a great show. I am glad they are playing. Hopefully the friday night headliner isnt some band where all of us will be scratching out heads going "Huh?"

I am wondering why spend the money on bringing over bands that wont draw people to the fest when that money could have been spent on bands that are in the US that would bring people in like....

Avenger of Blood
Dekapitator
Agalloch
Merciless Death
Nactmystym (I am sure I spelled it wrong)
Twisted Tower Dire

I just dont want to see this fest stopped do to low numbers and losing money. For the past few months there has been talk of learning from mistakes and making this an incredible line up. Still dont see it. Even if on friday we do get Susperia, Persueder, and Horrorscope. There is still no real headliner in that bunch. Hopefully you have a few cool surprises up your sleves still. I would love to have some good news soon.

Nachtmystium or Agalloch (damn you pate, now i pronounce them wrong!) would be great to see! and if we couldn't get Vintersorg, Otyg would be great to see.

I'm still looking forward to seeing Testament live .. never have before. They are said to be a great live band. Still though, they aren't really all that relevant these days, and would qualify more as a nostalgic act than a current act. At least they have a disc that was released in the past decade. Are they working on anything new ?

Britt

Nachtmystium or Agalloch (damn you pate, now i pronounce them wrong!) would be great to see!

I have been sportin' a hard on for both these bands for a while now.

Both would be amazing additions for the fest.

Nachtmystium has both a local and international following.
Plus, no other band (aside from Enslaved at times) sounds anything like them.

Back then shows were always insane. Sometimes you actually feared for your life with how crazy it would get.

Yep, indeed.
Shows were VERY dangerous, esp the old Aragon Brawlroom shows.
Almost got my arm broke from getting hit by a flying chair when Slayer kicked into "South of Heaven" once.

The bathroom afterwards looked like the cover to the MOB RULES!
Just a complete bloodbath.

The Aragon eventually removed the seats!

those were the days. I remember my body aching so bad after DRI and the Nuclear Assault show at the Cubby Bear Lounge. Those were real pits back then, not kids doing karate and basically punching each other. There were so real scary people at those shows.

Well I'm glad those were good times. All we have today at shows is a bunch of old people bitchin about line ups and talking about how good the old days were. :p