CHICAGO POWERFEST 2008: More Bands & On-Sale Date Announced

Somebody wrote "KILL OZZY" on the floor?

killozzy.jpg

Kansas City didn't get too many of the big tours as Chicago did back in the day, and I'll admit it I missed some shows, so for me to drive or fly to a festival they have to be somebody I'm dying to see. Forbidden, Sadus, Nuclear Assault, Death Angel, Laaz Rockit, and other thrash bands I love would get me to drive. Okay, so something not thrash for Friday night, how about Airbourne, a new rock band from Australia on Roadrunner? Doubt anyone here might like them unless you love AC/Dc style bands, but they might play relatively cheap. Power metal wise Helloween is a pipe dream but they would be a reat power metal band. I would be happy to see the proposed Horrorscope, and Persuader too.

I do want to see Testament though. Saw them twice in 1990, front row Testament 'Practice What You Preach' tour with Savatage opening, and 2nd row Judas Priest/Megadeth/Testament 'Souls of Black' tour. Caught the Electric Crown tour with Iron Maiden and COC, The Low Tour, and the Diabolic tour, but they didn't come anywhere near KC on The Gathering. Pretty good pictures of me with Chuck Billy and Louie Clemente back in 1990 on my myspace page - www.myspace.com/morethanmusicmagazine

Kansas City didn't get too many of the big tours as Chicago did back in the day, and I'll admit it I missed some shows, so for me to drive or fly to a festival they have to be somebody I'm dying to see. Forbidden, Sadus, Nuclear Assault, Death Angel, Laaz Rockit, and other thrash bands I love would get me to drive. Okay, so something not thrash for Friday night, how about Airbourne, a new rock band from Australia on Roadrunner? Doubt anyone here might like them unless you love AC/Dc style bands, but they might play relatively cheap. Power metal wise Helloween is a pipe dream but they would be a reat power metal band. I would be happy to see the proposed Horrorscope, and Persuader too.

I do want to see Testament though. Saw them twice in 1990, front row Testament 'Practice What You Preach' tour with Savatage opening, and 2nd row Judas Priest/Megadeth/Testament 'Souls of Black' tour. Caught the Electric Crown tour with Iron Maiden and COC, The Low Tour, and the Diabolic tour, but they didn't come anywhere near KC on The Gathering. Pretty good pictures of me with Chuck Billy and Louie Clemente back in 1990 on my myspace page - www.myspace.com/morethanmusicmagazine

saw them on that Savatage and Nuclear Assault tour too. They were really good.

Will Twelfth Gate take requests? Like say....Orpheus?

I hate to say it (with no malice towards Aaron at all on this one).....IMO the only person I can honestly hear singing Orpheus is Scott.....now if he is there.....maybe they'll bring him on stage for a few minutes?
(*nudge*nudge*wink*wink*say no more....eh?)
BTW....would definitely want to hear "Desire Brings":kickass:

I hate to say it (with no malice towards Aaron at all on this one).....IMO the only person I can honestly hear singing Orpheus is Scott.....now if he is there.....maybe they'll bring him on stage for a few minutes?
(*nudge*nudge*wink*wink*say no more....eh?)
BTW....would definitely want to hear "Desire Brings":kickass:

No doubt Scott's voice is a big part of the song, but the song is a big part of Twelfth Gate IMO. When singers perform songs from their predecessors they have to make it their own. No one would expect Aaron to sound like Scott and Orpheus would sound a lot different for sure, but I would like to hear it anyways.

Dont want to turn Powerfest into a "where are they now?" type show. Sure those bands were great once, but that was over 20 years ago almost. These are the bands who are basically back to make a quick buck. I would rather see younger newer acts who are hungry to play and will put on a great show.

Bingo! Tried it...didn't work.

Bingo! Tried it...didn't work.

Not sure if you want to say it, but are you speaking of Atheist here?
I think a lot of people were stoked to see them.
Maybe not enough for headliner status.

You know, the whole reunion thing is tricky.
With metal being so popular now, there are always going to be folks (both younger and older) who missed out on a band the first time.

Just too hard to tell how big of a deal a reunion would be.

I wasn't singling any one band out, but any of the few bands we had would fall under that category...last year - Atheist, Solitude Aeturnus even, Lethal definitely...then also even Agent Steel from the year before. All killer bands...just not as relevant as they once were.

The difference with Testament is that they've technically never been officially inactive, and other than maybe Slayer, they are the only relevant thrash band from back in the day that has stayed active & not pussed out musically. :kickass:

SA had a new album out though. That gives them a few extra points.

Indeed. Also, I went to see Solitude Aeturnus. Only band other than Novembers Doom I had ever heard of and material from before going to the fest last year.

The difference with Testament is that they've technically never been officially inactive, and other than maybe Slayer, they are the only relevant thrash band from back in the day that has stayed active & not pussed out musically. :kickass:

It's true. They still kick mass quantities of ass, and the fest will be right on the heels of the release of their new album!

We did go for these guys, but just didn't work out in the end due to an availability issue for one or two of the guys. Would've been cool for sure.
Keep after them this next year ... they would be a nice score. There was a lot of interest on some other boards for these guys. Their profile has probably never been bigger either. That new disc of theirs is being received real well, and by a wide variety of metal fans.

Britt

Testament has a new album coming out. That should help too. I can't remember if its before or after this fest though.

Overkill might take issue with that statement, but I get your point!