Chimaira leaked....

Yeah, because if a file is that big there's not going to be anyone who encodes it to take less room.

It's never happened before, because that's just too far fucking out there that nobody could ever figure it out.

Jeff

So I finally listened to a (legal!) Promo today. Was just a single (don't remember the name, maybe "Ressurection"??) with two tracks on it but they were boring anyway imo.
Nevertheless the production fucking kicks some ass! :headbang:

So, I was bad and downloaded it. before I get flamed, I do buy the albums I liked. I did the same thing with The Impossibility of Reason and their last self titled effort. That being said, I can't discern from one track to the next, Six, No reason to live, and resurrection are the few exceptions I can tolerate. I'd rather listen to Pass Out of Existence, or even This Present Darkness over this album. Waaaay too much mixing and synth effects.

Every song breaks down to a simple bang bang bang drum beat, C'mon! it's andols! he's better than that! what the hell happened???? Impossibility of reason was amazing, the self titled was a more aggressive, albeit slower paced album. At least with those two every track had it's own feel, this one just seems forced. The solos are just randomly thrown in there, while in their last album they would build them up....this is a hardcore/metalcore album, not the chimarametal I'm used to.

There are a few catchy breakdowns, otherwise, the album just doesn't feel like chimaira, it's like I'm listening to generic hardcore with some guitar solo's crammed in randomly. truly an upsetting album.

On the general leaking debate:

Today we received a promo by a current English band that was watermarked (so the record company could find out who leaked it if that should happen), the cover showed a fake bandname and album title. Furthermore the track list only consisted of the first letters of each word of the track titles! :D

Ok, I can see the point: if someone finds the disk cause the guy who originally received it lost it (I mean really lost it, no sarcasm here) the finder won't know what he has there. well at first... cause the first song on the album is the single that has been played up and down the last few weeks and if he should find the whole letter that contained the cd it was all for nothing cause a promo-sheet with the real names and stuff came with the cd! :loco:

Steve Jobs recently said that the music industry should drop the whole DRM stuff and find other ways of earning money (for example??). he didn't get too much respect from the suits for that! :lol:

great i can't believe i missed this thread like oh... 10 months ago.

but anyway i would like to add that good music and good albums always get bought and people are always going to steal because there will always need to be fucked up people to balance the non fucked up people.

i am curious what would happen let's say if the same technology was present in like the 70's and 80's. would some of the best selling albums (thriller, hotel california,the wall, etc.) suffer from the dowloading?

i feel like a strong percentage of albums from that time were so good that a majority of the consumers would actually buy the cds. in my opinion CD sales aren't low SOLEY due to illegal downloading but more or less because the quality of music sucks. pop music used to be good you know. mainstream just has a bad rep amongst true music buffs and musicians in the last 10 years or so. i feel like good albums always get bought by the majority of the consumer base for that genre. luckily the last or 4 years have been such a golden age for heavy metal with andy and all these guys just spittin out real classic "true" new age metal albums. thus these bands are enjoying success within this community. the mainstream market is flooded with hip hop and hip hop influenced "super hook" music. the problem is that the concept of the album is not there. there will be a huge single. what causes so many people to download this stuff is because if there is one "hot" rap song that everyone likes at the moment the consumer won't pay $15 at a record store to hear one part of one song that will be played out after 2 weeks anyway. rather they download it or pay .99 on itunes.

point being that on these illegal file sharing programs (i havent used one since the first napster so i may be wrong in saying this) but you can't search for an entire album, you hafve to get the songs piece by piece so people will not have a drive to get all of 'dark side of the moon' for instance. they will just get that one hit justin timberlake song.

the bottom line really is that the music industry (as well as the world) is changing due to the advances in communication. radio has no appeal either when people can carry around an ipod and hear wahtever song they want or there is sattelite radio and stuff. the conclusion to my rediculously long post is basically a firm statement of redundancy: i feel that great albums will always get bought via any medium. problem is there are just no great albums on the mainstream level thus the drop in sales.

Well guys, our album has been sent out for promo and will go to magazines soon.

It'll be interesting as fuck how long it takes to leak.

Aramism, you had to search an album song by song...10 years ago. Now there are BitTorrent and eMule
Anyway, Radiohead's last album was free, online, and you could make a free offer (from 1cent to 20-30-50 $, what do you want)..... the 60% of the downloader didn't pay at all!

Well guys, our album has been sent out for promo and will go to magazines soon.
It'll be interesting as fuck how long it takes to leak.

What would you prefer: people listen to it without payng a cent or not listen at all? Not trying to sound offensive, it´s a real question.

Aramism, you had to search an album song by song...10 years ago. Now there are BitTorrent and eMule
Anyway, Radiohead's last album was free, online, and you could make a free offer (from 1cent to 20-30-50 $, what do you want)..... the 60% of the downloader didn't pay at all!

hmm well i dont know anything about bittorrent and emule so thats why i said i may be wrong, so i guess i was wrong. but either way i still think that if there were quality products it would sure change the percentage of people who downloaddd illegally vs legal methods.

What would you prefer: people listen to it without payng a cent or not listen at all? Not trying to sound offensive, it´s a real question.

anyone who knows me knows my views on this ;)

I was merely speculating over the length of time it will take for the album to leak is all ;)