Christmas, Navidad, Noël, Weihnachten, Natale...

:lol: isnt it like this about everything? Christmas is a sham, religions are a clusterfuck of insanity historywise. Nothing makes sense, yet somehow we celebrate it :p

But hey, at least we get some vacations lol

actually we'd still have vacations without religion :D

You know, eli, today is actually the REAL holliday... Santaclaus is a sham!
"Sinterklaas is the basis for the North American figure of Santa Claus. It is often claimed that during the American War of Independence the inhabitants of New York City, a former Dutch colonial town (New Amsterdam) which had been swapped by the Dutch for Suriname, reinvented their Sinterklaas tradition, as Saint Nicholas was a symbol of the city's non-English past" says wikipedia.
In conclusion i have developped my own idea of how sinterklaas turned into santaclaus: Sinterklaas is a magical man coming from both Spain and Turkey :zombie:. He is tall and skinny, has a big white beard and has a red mitre like this one:
300px-sinterklaas_20_29532k.jpg

He travelled to New Amsterdam (now NY) but when he died, there was no tall, skinny man to take his place, because all Americans are short and fat. Because of the constant hurricanes in the US, they lost Sinterklaas' mitre (bishop's hat) in a whirlwind. So the new Sinterklaas got a sleeping hat, that at least had similar colours. As the Americans were speach-impaired, they bastardized Sinterklaas into Santaclaus. To support this heavy man a horse (like Sinterklaas) was not strong enough, so he was given a herpes-infected moose instead. Due to racial conflicts Black Petes were no longer used in the US, and replaced by elves (read: little slave-children).

Americans were not all fat back then, because they didn't have fast food.

Christmas is fun time always. Holidays, starts to get colder so when you go out you tend to drink more to keep the heat going, new year's awesome (usually, unlike last year which I spent in bed with fever, fuck that!) and I myself enjoy family dinner on the 24th, we're on good terms all of us so it's fun, and my grandma really steps up and always makes awesome dinner. And then present time. How do you beat that? :kickass:

Good thread Eli!

What? That's how we've always done it. Dinner on the 24th and then lunch on the 25th. Presents are technicaly on the 25th as we're never done with dinner before 12 though, so don't worry no tradition barrier trespasing here.

What? That's how we've always done it. Dinner on the 24th and then lunch on the 25th. Presents are technicaly on the 25th as we're never done with dinner before 12 though, so don't worry no tradition barrier trespasing here.

same here.

We always had christmas dinner on the 25th, gifts are given away on the eve of 24th. 24th traditional food is hot sausages with potatoes salad, not much more, then big christmas dinner on 25th. 26th is reserved to digest 25th´dinner :D

Even though being a paki I have a paki family, we'd always go to grandma's on Christmas because it's her birthday, but this year we can't be fucked so it'll just be the normal family with turkey on the 25th. We only get presents from family friends though :(

anyone be so kind to put a christmas hat on Charlie? I can't..computer is epic fail.

That being said, I go out Christmas eve, sometimes, then christmas open presents, dinner, more presents,etc.

You know, eli, today is actually the REAL holliday... Santaclaus is a sham!
"Sinterklaas is the basis for the North American figure of Santa Claus. It is often claimed that during the American War of Independence the inhabitants of New York City, a former Dutch colonial town (New Amsterdam) which had been swapped by the Dutch for Suriname, reinvented their Sinterklaas tradition, as Saint Nicholas was a symbol of the city's non-English past" says wikipedia.
In conclusion i have developped my own idea of how sinterklaas turned into santaclaus: Sinterklaas is a magical man coming from both Spain and Turkey :zombie:. He is tall and skinny, has a big white beard and has a red mitre like this one:
300px-sinterklaas_20_29532k.jpg

He travelled to New Amsterdam (now NY) but when he died, there was no tall, skinny man to take his place, because all Americans are short and fat. Because of the constant hurricanes in the US, they lost Sinterklaas' mitre (bishop's hat) in a whirlwind. So the new Sinterklaas got a sleeping hat, that at least had similar colours. As the Americans were speach-impaired, they bastardized Sinterklaas into Santaclaus. To support this heavy man a horse (like Sinterklaas) was not strong enough, so he was given a herpes-infected moose instead. Due to racial conflicts Black Petes were no longer used in the US, and replaced by elves (read: little slave-children).
Omg, Eve... that sounded a bit confusing... I can see why you did develop your own thought about it!! :eek:

Christmas is fun time always. Holidays, starts to get colder so when you go out you tend to drink more to keep the heat going, new year's awesome (usually, unlike last year which I spent in bed with fever, fuck that!) and I myself enjoy family dinner on the 24th, we're on good terms all of us so it's fun, and my grandma really steps up and always makes awesome dinner. And then present time. How do you beat that? :kickass:

Good thread Eli!
Exactly, I agree!!

And I also wish you to feel good, hope your health won't play tricks this year, so you can enjoy everything the best way! :)

And thank you!

same here.
...and hereeee.

^Thanks, hopefully I'll take better care of myself this year :lol:
You're welcome, I do wish you to have a great time! :)

We do watch Home Alone each year since I can remember though. :lol:
Oh Lord, I LOVE that movie... I often watch it around X-Mas time too and I think I watched it like, dunno, too many times to remember!

"Kevin's not here..."
"What?"
"Ahahah.... KEEEVIIIINNN!!!!"

:lol:

<_<

(I know, this is a bad quality vid, sorry... and yes, this is the second "Home Alone", not the first one, but still makes me laugh!)

Last edited by a moderator:
&#9532;Victim of the Night&#9532;;8743444 said:
(I know, this is a bad quality vid, sorry... and yes, this is the second "Home Alone", not the first one, but still makes me laugh!)

We only got to watch the first one. This year, I mean. They broadcast each movie on the Saturdays of the last three weeks, it's a given. :lol:
And thanks for the vid! "Appetizer" for next Saturday! :lol: