COBOT: the Album

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

I just managed to delete all the recorded files (because I was "cleaning up" in that folder) and now I can't go and fix one point where the volume was a bit high:lol:

fuuuuuuck. I've forgotten all about this (probably cuz there was no deadline to remember about) but umm...yeah, I haven't properly practiced for like 3 weeks now :erk: In terms of progress...I've got nothing thus far. my next 2 weeks are completely booked, finals week and then i'm going to New York the whole of the following week. I should start composing in about 3 weeks hopefully. Dave, I hope you make the deadline to be somewhere near the end of April!

Damn, three weeks?! You must be really busy, that sucks. I can't even imagine going more than a day without practicing or playing for at least an hour or two.

Can't wait to see what you come up with, though.

Oh, and Ensi, I sent you an email about a song, don't know if you got it.

fuuuuuuck. I've forgotten all about this (probably cuz there was no deadline to remember about) but umm...yeah, I haven't properly practiced for like 3 weeks now :erk: In terms of progress...I've got nothing thus far. my next 2 weeks are completely booked, finals week and then i'm going to New York the whole of the following week. I should start composing in about 3 weeks hopefully. Dave, I hope you make the deadline to be somewhere near the end of April!

Ugh, I feel for you Twisha:erk: I went 3 weeks without guitar once, fuck, it was like I was starting playing an instrument again:lol:

Got it, read it, replied to it:D

Ugh, I feel for you Twisha:erk: I went 3 weeks without guitar once, fuck, it was like I was starting playing an instrument again:lol:
dude, 3 weeks is nothing. Last year I had to go 3 MONTHS without playing cuz my wrist was shattered.

Damn, three weeks?! You must be really busy, that sucks. I can't even imagine going more than a day without practicing or playing for at least an hour or two.

Can't wait to see what you come up with, though.

yeah, school basically takes up all your time when you're a full-time student. and I can't wait to hear your composition either cuz I've never heard anything from you before!

Yep, but I think I got what he said, it's just that I can't belive someone can be so stupid to assume that I'm either laughing at the possibility of a key change in such a short number of meassures or that I automatically asume that different chords mean diferent key. Yes, my theoretical knowledge is extremely short, but I'm not dumb.

My song's starting to shape up now, need to change some things here and there etc. but it won't take long anymore I think.
Anyone up again for making backing tracks for this album?

Jose knows more than you..

Even Jose will tell you this isn't true.

Care to explain what the fuck are you talking about?

Modulations can occur in a number of ways, and oftentimes in a very short period of time. Basic diatonic progressions are fairly uninteresting, and, well, basic. I'd like to first talk about cadences, specifically ii chord substitutions as techniques for modulations. Technically ii chord substitutions contain notes that are out of the key; Take for instance, the Italian Augmented Sixth. This chord cannot be "spelled" as a triad, yet it has melodic gravity towards the V. While the flat sixth occurs naturally in a minor key, it is an accidental in a major key. The sharp four does not occur naturally in either. Also in this family are the French and German Augmented Sixth Chords, as well as the Neopolitan Chord. While these aren't modulations, persay, they lay the groundwork for substitution chords which do include modulations.

There can be an argument for a V7/V chord to be a modulation. The dominant chord substitution contains notes that gravitate towards the V of your original key, which would, for a moment, make the the "new key" the V of the original key. However, if you create a dominant chord off of the V chord by adding the minor seventh, you are again modulating back to your original key; the power of the cycle of fifths. Yet, perhaps one could make a progression of V7/V - V7 - I7 - iv. This is a common technique to create a modulation to the key of the iv chord, which would also technically make the progression listed above as VI7 - II7 - V7 - i. All of these chords do not belong to one specific key, and all of these chords can occur in a fairly short period of time, within the same progression (i.e. 4-8 bars).

Furthermore, it is quite common to use the diminished chord as a sort of "passing" chord that functions in a similar fashion as a passing tone functions within a melody. Diminished is almost the garbage dump of melodic harmony; when all else fails, a diminished chord will likely work. Using a diminished chord as a pivot point in a progression to establish a new key is quite common (e.g. Gmin - G#dim - Amin). Again, not too drawn out, and can be accomplished within the same chord progression.

Half-step motion into a modulation is yet another technique which can be used. Oftentimes, jazz players will call this "playing modally." I'm going to use a specific example for the illustration of this concept: Mediterranean Sundance - Al Di Meola. The progression for the solo section is mostly in E minor/G major, however closer to the end the chord progression goes into a bit of A min (E phrygian). The progression is as follows: Emin - Amin - D7 - Gmaj - F#maj - Fmaj - Emin - D7 (there's a bit more to the end, but it's completely irrelevant to what I'm talking about). Notice that, up until the F#maj, all of the chords occur diatonically within the aforementioned key(s). However, after that, Di Meola uses a half-step motion to accentuate the change into E phrygian by way of the Fmaj, which then continues until the D7, which pivots him back into a G major feel until the deceptive cadence contained within the end of the progression which propels him back into E minor, all within the same chord progression.

tl;dr: It is definitely possible to have multiple modulations within the same chord progression.

Even Jose will tell you this isn't true.

Modulations can occur in a number of ways, and oftentimes in a very short period of time. Basic diatonic progressions are fairly uninteresting, and, well, basic. I'd like to first talk about cadences, specifically ii chord substitutions as techniques for modulations. Technically ii chord substitutions contain notes that are out of the key; Take for instance, the Italian Augmented Sixth. This chord cannot be "spelled" as a triad, yet it has melodic gravity towards the V. While the flat sixth occurs naturally in a minor key, it is an accidental in a major key. The sharp four does not occur naturally in either. Also in this family are the French and German Augmented Sixth Chords, as well as the Neopolitan Chord. While these aren't modulations, persay, they lay the groundwork for substitution chords which do include modulations.

There can be an argument for a V7/V chord to be a modulation. The dominant chord substitution contains notes that gravitate towards the V of your original key, which would, for a moment, make the the "new key" the V of the original key. However, if you create a dominant chord off of the V chord by adding the minor seventh, you are again modulating back to your original key; the power of the cycle of fifths. Yet, perhaps one could make a progression of V7/V - V7 - I7 - iv. This is a common technique to create a modulation to the key of the iv chord, which would also technically make the progression listed above as VI7 - II7 - V7 - i. All of these chords do not belong to one specific key, and all of these chords can occur in a fairly short period of time, within the same progression (i.e. 4-8 bars).

Furthermore, it is quite common to use the diminished chord as a sort of "passing" chord that functions in a similar fashion as a passing tone functions within a melody. Diminished is almost the garbage dump of melodic harmony; when all else fails, a diminished chord will likely work. Using a diminished chord as a pivot point in a progression to establish a new key is quite common (e.g. Gmin - G#dim - Amin). Again, not too drawn out, and can be accomplished within the same chord progression.

Half-step motion into a modulation is yet another technique which can be used. Oftentimes, jazz players will call this "playing modally." I'm going to use a specific example for the illustration of this concept: Mediterranean Sundance - Al Di Meola. The progression for the solo section is mostly in E minor/G major, however closer to the end the chord progression goes into a bit of A min (E phrygian). The progression is as follows: Emin - Amin - D7 - Gmaj - F#maj - Fmaj - Emin - D7 (there's a bit more to the end, but it's completely irrelevant to what I'm talking about). Notice that, up until the F#maj, all of the chords occur diatonically within the aforementioned key(s). However, after that, Di Meola uses a half-step motion to accentuate the change into E phrygian by way of the Fmaj, which then continues until the D7, which pivots him back into a G major feel until the deceptive cadence contained within the end of the progression which propels him back into E minor, all within the same chord progression.

tl;dr: It is definitely possible to have multiple modulations within the same chord progression.

I-aint-readin-all-that-shit.jpg

Look, I already said I know almost nothing about theory although I'm trying to learn a bit more, so there was no need for such a post from which I can't understand 90% or more just to prove me something that I know: changes can happen in short spaces. I only questioned a key change, in the post that started this, because I thought that if it's a short section, it'd be better to have a simple one so we nerds that know shit about theory can play something that doesn't make everybody go deaf. For a longer thing it's ok, because we theory ignorant players could jam over the differents sections and come up with things, but for an 8 bar section (probably won't be more than 10 seconds) I think a simple backing track with no key changes would work better. You can read it also as make way less of a headache writing the solo for people like me who, yes you're right, know shit about theory.