Come up with a reason that would not make Opeth the greatest band in the world

Opeth is not the best band in the world because (imho):

- the made three mediocre albums in a row (BWP, D1, D2)
- have some really mediocre (FoM, TGC) and crappy (Hours Of Wealth, Weakness) songs
- they lost the eerie atmosphere after MAYH
- their last output was really incoherent, containing some of their best tracks (Baying, GoP) but also some of their worst (Atonement, Hours Of Wealth, TGC)
- tend to loose direction in their songs, 'overbreak' them (BRI)
- some parts of the songs sound very similar

don't get me wrong, i really like Opeth, but it is no way the best band in the world

Hypnos said:
Opeth is not the best band in the world because (imho):

- they lost the eerie atmosphere after MAYH

:err:

So the best band has to have an eerie atmosphere?

Hypnos: Ok, after that understatement i know you are joking....right? Explain how "hours of wealt", "weakness" and atonement would suck? cause personally i think they are great... And that "damnation" and "bwp" would be mediocre?!

I love Opeth and at the moment I'd put them in 3rd place in terms of my favorite bands. Buuut I do feel that although their lyrics can be amazing at times, there's also some ones that border on lame and pretentious. Not all, just some. I think this is a problem a lot of metal bands deal with. I mean, face it, for example, Sabbath was a terrific, great band but you can't deny the ultra-cheesiness of some of the lyrics.
So, though Opeth are at #3 at the moment, just behind Radiohead and Hendrix, sometimes I get annoyed with them for the pretentious lyrics... that's when I feel like hearing the Beatles.

Zivilyn said:
Well, I guess here's my argument(s)-
Their songs are too damn long sometimes.

Subjective. I find the length of their songs very inspiring because the changes make them interesting.

They stay in E too much.

If they make their songs sound good even so (which they do), I don't see the harm in that. Everyone has their favorite key, like Evergrey have C#(I believe) and Soilwork mostly have B.

They seem to be dominated creatively by one source.

What do you mean by that?

A lot of riff recycling.

Every band does that, and with Opeth it's not that noticeable so I wouldn't say that's a valid argument.

A lot of lyrics that don't really mean much, but sound cool.

Just because you don't understand them it doesn't mean they don't mean something. Plus, you can never get into the creator's head.

For me Opeth might as well be the best band in the world.
They're almost flawless, but I don't think I can actually dub a band "best band in the world" for the very simple reason that music and taste is subjective and defining "best" is a very very hard thing to do.

Point 1: They don't have the Freddie Mercury stage presence
Point 2: They aren't as cool as Tommy Lee
Point 3: They don't have the hit making capability of the beatles, elvis etc.
Point 4: They aren't an old band and we can't judge them with the test of time
Point 5: They aren't as hung or as sexy as Ron Jeremy (At least we think)
Point 6: They don't do weird acts with animals (a la Marilyn Manson)
Point 7: These points are pathetic and by no means a way to judge greatness

"Well, I guess here's my argument(s)-
Their songs are too damn long sometimes"

I think their songs would be boring if they had the requilar structure and were shorter... I think opeth kinda song structures come from the progrock scene...
Orchid/Morningrise: I love the movie theme kinda structure... Nothing repeats, it makes it like a journey.
They at times start calmly and end strongly. At times some of the riffs from the beginning repeat at the end...
I think they very often follow these patterns.
And i love that kinda structures..

"They seem to be dominated creatively by one source."
Well first of all...Death Metal & Prog Rock ´nuff said.

dishcloth said:
Point 1: They don't have the Freddie Mercury stage presence
Point 2: They aren't as cool as Tommy Lee
Point 3: They don't have the hit making capability of the beatles, elvis etc.
Point 4: They aren't an old band and we can't judge them with the test of time
Point 5: They aren't as hung or as sexy as Ron Jeremy (At least we think)
Point 6: They don't do weird acts with animals (a la Marilyn Manson)
Point 7: These points are pathetic and by no means a way to judge greatness

Stupid!

I was going to give you response on this one, but as I read further I realized
that you're probably ill so I will let you off with a warning :) :err: ...

And for the record: I cannot come up with one reason Opeth's not the
greatest band on earth. They probably is. No other band got their creativity
and beautiful, melodies, arrs and stuff.

Ganza said:
"They seem to be dominated by one creative force."

What do you mean by that?

I think he means that the writing process is done mostly by Mike and is not a complete and full band effort.

I've got one. They're not very good playing the classical guitars. Actually, they're just bad at it. But they haven't used them since Morningrise (I think) so it's ok.

Benighted Joe said:
Stupid!

I was going to give you response on this one, but as I read further I realized
that you're probably ill so I will let you off with a warning :) :err: ...

And for the record: I cannot come up with one reason Opeth's not the
greatest band on earth. They probably is. No other band got their creativity
and beautiful, melodies, arrs and stuff.

What do you need to warn me about? They is the greatest band? What was that?

HaloPhenomenon said:
Hypnos: Ok, after that understatement i know you are joking....right? Explain how "hours of wealt", "weakness" and atonement would suck? cause personally i think they are great... And that "damnation" and "bwp" would be mediocre?!

no i was NOT joking! my opinion is, songs like 'Hours Of Wealth' , 'Weakness' and some others are crappy and BWP, D1 and D2 are mediocre, with D2 being the worst of them all. i don't have anything against mellow songs. 'TBYF', 'Credence', 'Benighted' or 'Harvest' are amongst my favourite Opeth songs.
you see, it's all just the matter of personal taste. bands i consider better than Opeth are f.e.: Primordial, Orphaned Land, In The Woods, Katatonia, Pink Floyd...

HaloPhenomenon said:
Are you fucking serious?
Jimmy Page has made a couple acceptable riffs, and therefore he is a musical genious? I have allmost never heard a boring riff by opeth.

Seriuosly dude Opeth is ok but there boring. There new video is dumb his riffs dont blend well toegther. Jimmy Page knows more about music and musical theory than Mike A. Opeth is an ok band i dont mind them . But Jimmy Page is one of the all time gretest guitarist. Your to stuck on Opeth to realize that. Just becasue you dont like Jimmy Page or Led Zeppelin doesnt mean there not good.

The Last with Pagan Blood said:
There new video is dumb his riffs dont blend well toegther. Jimmy Page knows more about music and musical theory than Mike A. Opeth is an ok band i dont mind them . But Jimmy Page is one of the all time gretest guitarist. Your to stuck on Opeth to realize that. Just becasue you dont like Jimmy Page or Led Zeppelin doesnt mean there not good.
ok. :lol:. no seriously...

:lol:

1. "Their" new video, and I would not judge an audio work by a video accompanying it, created by their label. The band have stated they aren't happy with the video.

2. Mikael Åkerfeldt knows an immense amount about music, considering his favorite hobbies. I don't doubt that Page is well-versed, but to claim that is just stupid.

3. Page is one of the greatest guitarists of his time and his time has passed. Mike is one of the better songwriters of his time.

and lastly
4. Just because you're stuck on Led Zep doesn't mean Opeth isn't as good.

I just have to say this...

I love Jimmy Page...

but he is not one the greatest guitarists of all time... in fact, I consider him a much better acoustic songwriter than a guitar hero...whoever thinks Jimmy Page is "It" when it comes to the guitar needs to get over Led Zeppelin and explore some other music...

and as much as I love Zeppelin, who are indeed one of the best bands of all time...they did make a few select pieces of complete shyte music...the worst Opeth song - on the other hand - is still pretty fuckin sick...