Controversial Opeth Opinions

I cant see how someone could have a problem with The Moor.
I think its a solid starter, and a crazy good track.
It has a nice intro, strong starting riff, with a bit of cocky groove then the verse hits with that very cool harmony, and i could go on but I think you know the song :p

The mastering fuck-up on The Apostle in Triumph is Opeth's greatest achievement to date. I still like to believe that somebody knew what he was doing and did it purposefully.

I should just point out that Watershed has good songs on its own but if you look at the progression from other Opeth albums to Watershed, its somewhat similar to how Metallica started their downhill movement. Both Watershed and The Black Album sought to get away from metal a little bit without going completely mellow like Opeth did with Damnation or Katatonia did after BMD, and the result in both cases was some good songs, but also each band's cheesiest lyrics of all time. With songs like Nothing Else Matters, Burden, Coil, Porcelain Heart and um...almost every other song on the Black Album, both bands exhibited through lyrics some attempt to make songs into these epic metal ballads that would appeal more to the mainstream. Hopefully Opeth's next album isn't worse but I'm sure Metallica fans were saying that in '91 and look what happened. (Btw I'm not saying Watershed is as bad as the Black Album at all, just think it represents the same downhill movement in every way that the latter represented. And I still have hope in Opeth considering half the album was still good to great)

If there's proof, then that's not opinion, that's fact.

And it won't change my opinion of the band anyway. :kickass:

orchid and morningrise are not good albums
mayh and bwp are better than still life which is insanely overrated
beneath the mire is a good song

edit: some more!
atonement is boring
moor is better than godhead's lament by far

Morningrise is too boring to listen to beyond "The Advent."

Now that IS controversial.
:OMG:

I know I stirred some controversy in the Watershed thread by being pretty negative towards it, but I have a feeling more fans have realized that the album isn't very good (for an Opeth record, that is) beyond "The Lotus Eater" and parts of "Hessian Peel".

Maybe this opinion is more controversial: I want to make dinner of Mikael Åkerfeldt's hairy thighs, with mustard and pepper. Mmmm

The song When, what's so good about it?! I mean I can't grasp how so many people adore that song, it gives me nothing, and I've listened to it for around ten years. That said, that's how I feel about most of the songs on MAYH, when played alone I don't like them very much at all, the only time I enjoy material from MAYH is when I listen to the whole album from start to finish, plus I need to be in a special mood.

'Beneath The Mire' is my favourite song on Ghost Reveries, and one of my favourite Opeth songs. I would much rather listen to it than 'Demon Of The Fall', 'Blackwater Park' or 'Deliverance'.

orchid and morningrise are not good albums
mayh and bwp are better than still life which is insanely overrated
beneath the mire is a good song

edit: some more!
atonement is boring
moor is better than godhead's lament by far

I agree with EVERYTHING you said

I didn't think that 'Atonement' being boring was that controversial. I thought most people didn't really feel it's vibe.