Curious about Black Metal....

gnostic

Old School Thrasher
May 26, 2004
Poland
Hey all,

Now I know I'm probably gonna piss some people off with this post, but I truly want some assistance here. You see, I'm an old-school thrasher from the late '80s who is now very much into death metal (and tech metal in particular). I've never been able to get into black metal, due to all the gay theatrical bullshit (corpse paint, fake blood, keyboard solos, etc...). You see, back in the day, thrashers would have killed any so-called "metalhead" who was into obvious makeup and flashy keys. Glam rock was just NOT a good thing, people...

Now I'm well aware of the fact that the metal movement has evolved and become much more complex over the past fifteen years or so, and believe me, I welcome the changes. However, I'm finding it difficult to get over my old prejudices. Most black metal just seems really GAY to me....Cradle of Filth??? Come on people. It's a louder version of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. See? I told you I was gonna upset some people....My apologies. Really.

My question is this: Are there any black metal bands out there that are really METAL, and don't go far enough with the makeup and keys to offend the old-school sensibilties of a battered warrior who believes in the metal virtues of blood, sweat and kicking serious ass? By the way, I have listened to some Behemoth (I live in Poland, after all) who I believe would most accurately be described these days as making "blackened death metal". It's good shit. Took me some time to get over the keys and shit, but I could tell these guys were fucking serious about what they were doing (not just jokers making lots of money off dumb kids, like Children of Bodom) and quite technical.

Which brings me to my last point. Why do so many black metal recordings sound like shit? Is it really cool to sound like you performed in your buddy's garage, or something? It that "kvlt" or "trOO" or whatever? I will come right out and say this: I do NOT think spending money on a record that sounds like it was produced under water is "cool" or "underground". I think it sucks and albums like that are a fucking waste of money. And, in some cases. talent. The music may be great, but if the production is poor, the band are wasting their energy making music nobody can hear. What's the point?

So once again, sorry for any offense I may have caused. I love metal, and I respect how much true metal heads love "their" music, in all its genres. All you black metallers may hate me now, or at least write me off as some old fuck who still listens to his ancient Voivod and Megadeth albums (and yes, I still do). But hold on. At least I was honest enough to profess my ignorance when it comes to black metal, and I sincerely want to be introduced to this genre, which I believe must be important due to the simple fact that it's so big and it's fans are so fucking devout. That's very metal. Respect.

Fellow metallers, help an old thrasher "see the light", or should I say, the "darkness" and open these eyes to the world of good, sincere, well-played, and decently produced, black metal. Thanks.

Jimmy K. :kickass:

"Cradle of Filth??? Come on people. It's a louder version of the Rocky Horror Picture Show."

:tickled: :lol: :tickled: :lol:

It is tough for alot of people to get into black metal and yes Cradle of Shit (Filth) do ruin it for alot of people. I suggest you check out Emperor, Burzum, Darkthrone, Dark Funeral, Bathory, and Satyricon. Thats good black metal

Your problem is not that you dislike black metal, only that you haven't heard any or at least very little. Try these for really good and mostly well produced black metal (and related in differend ways):

Funeral Mist - Salvation
Watain - Casus Luciferi
Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentum Reqvires Circvmspice
Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
NCO - Pure Black Disease
Carpathian Forest - Strange Old Brew
Deströyer 666 - Terror Abraxas
Kvist - For Kunsten Maa vi Evig Vike
Negurã Bunget - 'N Crugu Bradului
Arckanum - Kostogher

That should be enough to start with. Nice to hear that an old thrasher is interested in the "new" ways, and do remember that few thrashers complained about King Diamond's makeup and that black metal is as old as Venom.

The production isn't poor, it's just not as full as you're used to (in most cases). It actually fits the dark atmosphere of the music. I recommend these albums to get you into black metal. Don't give up on them straight away just because they're a little different, everyone who likes BM used to think it was ridiculous at one time or another. There is value to be found.

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Bathory - Blood, Fire, Death
Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp
Summoning - Dol Guldur
Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun

ironmaiden1990 said:
black metal? isnt that the blood sucking vampire maralyn manson shit
:Smokedev: :devil: :worship: :devil: :devil: :Shedevil:

No, Black Metal is defined as atmospheric music. This genre uses very melodic riffs with other sounds to add to the atmosphere and Shrikey vocals.

Actually, if you're an 80's thrash man, I recommend:

Mayhem
Darkthrone
Immortal

Most of Sorath's recommendations were good if you wanted to delve straight into the somewhat-modern underground of black metal. Stick to the above three bands to ease yourself in first. Sorath's band list contains some increased levels of atmosphere or theatricality. Just a suggestion.

Thrash til death, brotha!

You admit that you're ignorant when it comes to black metal, yet you insist on calling it gay, theatrical music with poor production and crap keyboard solos. And you make constant references to 'being metal'. But:

I sincerely want to be introduced to this genre, which I believe must be important due to the simple fact that it's so big and it's fans are so fucking devout
So ok =)

Since you're a thrash fan, I second the recommendations for Deströyer 666, Carpathian Forest and Bathory's Blood Fire Death. Also:

Dissection - The Somberlain, but you will probably like Storm of the Light's Bane as well (not strictly black metal, they're more a mixture of styles but they could act as a good band to initially get you into black metal)

Judas Iscariot - Distant in Solitary Night

Later Immortal (At the Heart of Winter or Sons of Northern Darkness - see Dissection)

Summoning, who have already been mentioned.

I'm also curious, if you think Cradle of Filth is black metal then how the hell do you come to think that all black metal has shitty production?

I think you'll find more BMers making fun of COF than anyone else.

Another reason why there is so many shit "black metal" bands is because it is so known now, it's no longer just made by the elite. There's still a lot of very good elite black metal bands, but heaps and heaps and tons of shit poseur bands.

By the way, by "elite" I don't mean über-underground 5 copies of LPs bands, I mean REAL black metal artists who make REAL black ART.

Astriaal - Renascent Misanthropy (great production, you should love this one)
Aeternus - Ascension Of Terror (blackened death)
Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi

Just wanted to take a minute to say thanks to all the good people who took the time to help me on my journey to new and different experiences in metal. Very helpful advice. And my apologies for the rather long post. What can I say? I studied English lit....

Jimmy K. :kickass:

Two persons mentioned Immortal before you. A thrasher might want to try the Requiem album by Bathory as well, just remember that the earlier ones beat it by far.

Sorath said:
Deströyer 666 - Terror Abraxas
Absolutly. Actualy, anything by these guys will probably be right up your alley. Find every release immediately.

Ultimate_Symphony said:
Astriaal - Renascent Misanthropy (great production, you should love this one)
Also good. Melodic and dynamic black metal, no gimmicks. Realy accessible and also very good black metal.