Curious about Black Metal....

Guh

1) Cradle of Flith is NOT black metal. Since that was the only band you named you obviously have a skewed vision of black metal

2) What you call bad production is actually the (more often then not) the best way to sonically express what the artists are trying to convey, if you can't figure that out then you'll never get black metal. It's hard to express such anti-chirstian views when you are abiding to a christain view of beauty.

3) For the keyboards, your learn to see their beauty in time. At first they may come off as cheesey, but the more you listen the more you'll see their importance.

Ok heres some albums to start out with:

Dissection- Storm of the Lights Bane Very good clean production, almost no keyboards, but yet the atmosphere is disinctly dark. The songwriting is top notch as well.

Burzum- Hvis Lyset Tar Oss This is an excellent example of keyboards being used tastfully. Lush, layered, dense and undeniably powerful this album is a must. Give it time, at first listen it won't quite click.

Emperor- Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk Another example of keyboards being used tastfully. Give it time, as this is truly one of the greatest works ever, but it takes time to reveal itself.

Ok heres some more starters:
Blut Aus Nord- The Work Which Transforms God
Mutiilation- Vampires of Black Imperial Blood (you're gonna have to get over the production thing, really...)
Nargaroth- Herbstleyd
Enslaved- Vikingligr Veldi
Xasthur-Nocturnal Poisoning

Anyways thats a good diverse list of black metal to let you get familair with some of the different stylings and attitudes the genre contains. None of them are too keyboard heavy except the Emperor, but that album is brillant...

Actually, now that I think about it, Bathory would be a great band to get you into black metal. I personally fell in love with their debut. Blood Fire death is another good one, though.

crimsonfloyd had quite a few great recommendations as well. I'll add:

Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia
Behemoth - Chaotica
Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
Einherjer - Aurora Borealis
Marduk - Opus Nocturne
Melechesh - Sphynx
Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry
Old Man's Child - In Defiance of Existence
Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun

That should be quite a varied additional list.

Varathron- His Majesty at the Swamp

Root- Hell Symphony

Master's Hammer- Ritual

Mortuary Drape- All the Witches Dance

well, these are some things that are "metal", so to speak.

in the future, try not to be so "i metal thrasher from 80s, wear bullet belt, smash tings gud." it's annoying.

The guy asks for black metal that doesn't go far with keys and yet you people still recommend Emperor and Dimmu Borgir who are two bands who would be absolutely nothing without keys.

I'm an old school thrasher too, but I'm beginning to think there isn't any good black metal. Dissection is sorta decent, but the rest of the bands that got mentioned just blow. And I agree with you 100%, the corpsepaint and keyboards is severely queer. And naming yourself shit like "Quorthon" or "Asmodeous" like Black Metalers do is retarded.

I think you'd probably be ok with Dissections "Storm Of The Lights Bane - Where Dead Angels Lie", cause you mentioned you like technical metal and its Black Metal in more of a technical direction, but doesn't suffer from the "recorded on an answering machine in a bus station mens room" that most Black Metal does. But other than that, I think all the bands that have been mentioned in this thread are pretty crappy. Well except for Cannibal Corpse and I gotta give "Funeral Portrait" props for recognizing the best band going these days, but at the same time I want to smack him for labeling them Black Metal. ( Sorry Funeral Portrait :lol: )

Whatever you do, don't spend any money on Burzum, Bathory, or Carpathian Forest, or most of the other bands people mentioned, 'cause its basically crap. No offense, to anyone, but I've ripped farts that sounded better than Burzum or Bathory.

Well congratulations of being open minded about listening to some Black metal, I'm sure I'll go down in flames for my comments, but if you listen to those bands you'll see for yourself.

I like how he didn't actually criticize any aspect about black metal that isn't superficial. Can't expect much from a Cannibal Corpse fan, I guess.

Donnie Darko said:
It is tough for alot of people to get into black metal and yes Cradle of Shit (Filth) do ruin it for alot of people. I suggest you check out Emperor, Burzum, Darkthrone, Dark Funeral, Bathory, and Satyricon. Thats good black metal

If you follow this advice...

Emperor - In the nightside eclipse
Emperor - Anthems at the welkein at dusk
Burzum - Det som et gang var
Burzum - Burzum/aske
Burzum - Filosofem
Darkrhtone - A blaze in the northern sky
Darkthrone - Transilvanian hunger
Darkthrone - Under a funeral moon
Satyricon - Dark Mideval Times
and the self titled bathory are the ones to get
Pick up Graveland's thousand swords also. You should find it pretty easy as Rob is polish i believe.

Does the bad production ever bother you at all? Like if you were in your car and had a $1500 sound system, you wouldnt be kind of annoyed if your music didnt sound good? I have never burned a black metal cd for my car, but i think it would be too hard to hear my speakers "breaking" and sounding really bad. I love the atmosphere, but i think they could do a better job than just horrible production.

and what is with the anti-christian ways? who really cares about how much christianity sucks and how we should burn, stomp on, and piss on the ashes of them because of that? that is something 5 year olds joke about in their immature lives. not trying to pick a fight here, just pretty much why it is like this.

Avoid Dark Funeral, Marduk, Satryicon and all Emperor Releases that are not "In the Nightside Eclipse" like the plague. The sames goes for Dimmu Borgir. (most of their releases are trash)