Curious about Black Metal....

EternalMetal said:
Does the bad production ever bother you at all? Like if you were in your car and had a $1500 sound system, you wouldnt be kind of annoyed if your music didnt sound good? I have never burned a black metal cd for my car, but i think it would be too hard to hear my speakers "breaking" and sounding really bad. I love the atmosphere, but i think they could do a better job than just horrible production.

and what is with the anti-christian ways? who really cares about how much christianity sucks and how we should burn, stomp on, and piss on the ashes of them because of that? that is something 5 year olds joke about in their immature lives. not trying to pick a fight here, just pretty much why it is like this.

I was wondering if you were really that stupid, then I looked at your avatar.

Enslaved, yes.

Okay, but think about Immortal. If you disregard their laughable image, Immortal is pure and fantatsic black metal. Any keyboards they use are in the background just keeping a quiet rhythm. Their newer stuff may be a bit appealing to you.

and nice comment about Cradle.

EternalMetal said:
and what is with the anti-christian ways? who really cares about how much christianity sucks and how we should burn, stomp on, and piss on the ashes of them because of that? that is something 5 year olds joke about in their immature lives. not trying to pick a fight here, just pretty much why it is like this.

cause basically Black Metal is talentless BS of music that its a shame to apply the label "Metal" to in the first place, so they have to create some controversy with their "evilness" by wearing the corpsepaint and singing about Satan, its just a gimmick. a great big queer joke

Mutilated1 said:
cause basically Black Metal is talentless BS of music that its a shame to apply the label "Metal" to in the first place, so they have to create some controversy with their "evilness" by wearing the corpsepaint and singing about Satan, its just a gimmick. a great big queer joke

If you're going to say that, then Cannibal Corpse's lyrics and imagery are exactly the same.

If Cannibal Corpse acted like they were really zombies or something, yes that would be gay. But the difference is Cannibal Corpse just sings about Death and Zombies, but they aren't pretending to be zombies, or acting like they are really murderers or anything. So sure death and zombies is Cannibal's gimmick, theres no question about that. But with the kind of music they play, the lyrics just about have to be about something brutal or violent, 'cause nothing else would fit.

Now Black Metal on the other hand, they're all acting like they are Satan's best friend or something and its just bullshit. I've got no problem with using Satan in a song, but acting like you really believe in Satan like Black Metallers do just indicates you are stupid. And wearing corpsepaint is fucking queer, did I mention that.

Very few black metallers believe in a literal Satan. Also, I notice you haven't really criticized the music at all, just the musicians' images. Nice superficial pop fan mentality you've got there.

CountSorion said:
Avoid Dark Funeral, Marduk, Satryicon and all Emperor Releases that are not "In the Nightside Eclipse" like the plague. The sames goes for Dimmu Borgir. (most of their releases are trash)

yeah the only good black metal its underground tr00 and n3kr0

Nekrophilic said:

Jesus Christ, fucking shut up. Have you ever considered that perhaps people dislike that music for non-superficial reasons?

There are just too many feeble-minded schmucks around on forums for me to be bothered with initiating an argument about BM, really.

Just one thing, though, and it isn't specific to BM. You may differ ideoligically from Black Metallists, and you may find the whole idea behind it absurd, but that's absolutely no reason to declare the music within an entire genre to be 'talentless BS'. I personally find Cannibal Corpse's lyrics to be ridiculous and ludicrous, all the talk about smashing bones and mutilating people. However, they're talented musicians.

So you may have problems with the Anti-Christian, supremacist ideology, you may have problems with the corpsepaint (which isn't the essence of BM as you choose to believe, but thats a different discussion altogether), with a metaphorical Satan, but none of these changes the fact that bands like Burzum, Darkthrone and Mayhem were saturated with excellent musicianship.

polarity said:
Jesus Christ, fucking shut up. Have you ever considered that perhaps people dislike that music for non-superficial reasons?

you just got into metal 1 year ago, stop acting like a Iknowitall

excellent musicianship in darkthrone, burzum and mayhem? are we listening to the same bands?

Those bands are cridited more for their minimalist composition and attention to atmosphere.

Besides, can you deny that Hellhammer is a skinmaster?

Nekrophilic said:

Of course not... Blast beats, br00thality and copious amounts of keyboards is surely all that the genre is about.

[/sarcasm]

Check out Nagelfar "Srontgorrth" and any album but Lugburz for albums that include keyboards done in a nice and tasteful way. On Srontgorrth I often prefer the keyboard parts of the album over the metal ones, although both are important for the album. Blast beats can be a nice addition if they are used tastefully. Do I have to mention that Marduk and Dark Funeral doesn't know how to do that?

Nekrophilic said:
you just got into metal 1 year ago, stop acting like a Iknowitall

The time one has been into metal is not equal to ones knowledge and understanding of it, although it will influence it. You have no reason to use this as a valid way of criticising polarity.

Nekrophilic said:
excellent musicianship in darkthrone, burzum and mayhem? are we listening to the same bands?

The bands mentioned generally are not that developed when it comes to how technincal the music is and it's still better than most pop music. This is, however, not the point in case you believed that. The composition in these bands is generally very advanced.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Those bands are credited more for their minimalist composition and attention to atmosphere.
Correct.

Personally I think this highlights IMO why Black Metal is overrated. It's hard to argue against it on this board because there are so many people who seem to be addicted to the genre. Any lack of musicianship often just gets passed off as artistic .. doing something 'no one else has done'.

often I think there is a good reason no one else has done it ....

I do listen to some (very little really) BM for a few reasons though;

1. Some of it is very atmospheric and well done. But only in small doses
2. Although I hate the ideals and foundations of BM, I'm intrigued at a thematic level.
3. Some BM is particularly emotive and as such, grabs my attention.
3. Bit of a change.

well... If you are a thrash metal fan or death, I advise Bathory, Emperor, Aeternus, I belive you will like their sound.

misfit said:
I do listen to some (very little really) BM for a few reasons though;

1. Some of it is very atmospheric and well done. But only in small doses
2. Although I hate the ideals and foundations of BM, I'm intrigued at a thematic level.
3. Some BM is particularly emotive and as such, grabs my attention.
(4.) Bit of a change. :)
That's perfectly okay. I think your inferences about black metal musicians were a tad unfounded, though. Lack of musicianship is rarely passed off as artistic. At least to my knowledge. I have only encountered a startling few black metal bands praised for being innovators and sounding like complete shit.