cymbal mic suggestions

I have Km 184s, They sound great as OHs but they do not have a pad or roll off......So depending on the situation things can get fucked up. I either use AKG 451s or AKG 414s. NT5s shouldnt be used as OHs on a pro level, maybe hi hat or ride.....

KM184 user here! Could not be happier! I have NT5s too. Use them for the ride and snare bottom (fucking great!).

I have set of mc930's and they slay could be a better option than the 184's if you are on a budget never tried km184's though so cant say if i prefer one or the other. But i can say the mc930's do a very good job as a sdc they work great on o/h and acustic instruments.

Beyerdynamic MC930s or Josephson C42s are the way to go here - KM184s and Shure SM81s are good mics as well (though I personally like the Beyers / Josephsons a bit more). I'm not as fond of the NT5 (kind of grainy IMO) or AKG 451 (too bright and thin).

For what it's worth, the cymbals you use are probably going to be much more important than the mics in this case, so I'm sure any decent set of overheads will do the job admirably.

AKG 451 (too bright and thin).
true that great for jazz drums in a big room, shitty for rock/metal

I kinda disagree with this statement, because I rather use the overheads to capture cymbals than the whole kit, and the closemics to capture the drums. For that kind of application they work superbly, so you don't need to carve out the lower stuff, just put a highpass filter there. I tracked a full album worth of stuff with closemics and just those two as overheads and a mono room mic (C414, visible in the bottom of the picture).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/centuries2.mp3

rumpusetin_mikitys.jpg

As high as your OH placement and ceilings are in that pic, I can definitely see the 451s working out better than they do in my room (my ceilings are only about 11 feet so I can't get the OH mics up that high).

They're still thin/bright sounding mics, compared to pretty much every other OH mic I've ever used.