DAN NELSON OFFICIAL STATEMENT

So what you're saying is that this came as a complete shock, out of the blue and that the band are lying about your departure, and just couldn't be bothered to go out and play some of their most important dates for years?

This whole episode gets stranger by the day.

I am not sure there is a "real story" etc here. Dan and Anthrax have been working hard together to rebuild anthrax. they worked long and hard over the past couple of years. I dont doubt anyone's sincerity here. Something(s) were not working between Dan and the band. Suggesting what was not working is pure speculation. In this celebrity culture its hard not to treat this situation like Mischa Barton or Lindsey Lohan and want to know every little detail right now. But we can be better than this.

I've been an anthrax fan since 84/85 and love all of the bands cds. i was/am looking forward to worship music. I hope they get John Bush to sing on it. I saw Bush twice during the wcfya tour and they were some of the best live shows Ive ever seen.

So what you're saying is that this came as a complete shock, out of the blue and that the band are lying about your departure, and just couldn't be bothered to go out and play some of their most important dates for years?

This whole episode gets stranger by the day.

You see, it took me less than a day to confirm my rumors of the supposed illness. I was right all along. Here comes the lawsuits. It doesn't take a genius to know how things work in Anthrax camp.:)

EDDIE TRUNK Says There Were 'Serious Chemistry Issues' Between ANTHRAX And DAN NELSON - July 21, 2009

Eddie Trunk (pictured below), co-host of the VH1 Classic television program "That Metal Show" who has a long-running radio show, "Friday Night Rocks", on New York's Q104.3 FM, has posted the following commentary on his official blog:

"Just official, and no surprise, Dan Nelson out of ANTHRAX. This is really not a huge surprise to anyone who followed this story the last week.

"It was pretty clear to me at Rocklahoma that there were some serious chemistry issues off stage with the band and their new singer. I had been hearing and sensing rumblings about this the last few months from various sources. The shame of it is that he was a great singer for the band in the one show I saw, but obviously the band decided it was better to end this now before further conflicts come out.

"For band members in any group, there is on-stage and off-stage connection that needs to be reached and clearly there were issues off stage and in other areas from both ends. It's also pretty obvious to any dummy that he was not sick as the press release stated. If he was legit sick, you don't lose your gig. There were issues, and no doubt much more will come out about this story in coming weeks. It's also pretty obvious that whoever ends up with this gig will no doubt re-cut the vocals on the new album. There is no way I can imagine they would have his voice on a CD now that it is over, which is why the album is delayed now.

"Interesting that John Bush is returning for one gig. Bush is the band's best option at this point. The way I see it, things will be felt out with the one gig and if vibes are good, maybe he returns? John said on my show he would not rule out coming back to ANTHRAX at some point and clearly wants to still perform since he was doing ARMORED SAINT gigs. This is by far the best scenario for ANTHRAX and they need him.

"Obviously, I have a long history and friendship with the guys in ANTHRAX and I wish them well dealing with this crazy situation. As for Dan, he was great in the one show I saw and maybe there is a better opportunity for him down the line.

"Like I said, there will no doubt be all kinds of rumor and speculation about what really went down, but it was not working off stage and singer #4 in ANTHRAX is a very brief footnote now in the band's crazy history. But ANTHRAX has dealt with all kinds of stuff and they will no doubt come back strong."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=123997

You see, it took me less than a day to confirm my rumors of the supposed illness. I was right all along. Here comes the lawsuits. It doesn't take a genius to know how things work in Anthrax camp.:)

You mean that these guys for no reasonable cause decided to dump a few years worth of work and cash? Doubt it. Had to be one helluva reason to take this huge a hit. Something wasnt jiving strongly enough they went into protection mode. Just how I see it with what we know so far.

As for the "illness" statement.... isnt there an insidious sickness called lead singers disease?

You mean that these guys for no reasonable cause decided to dump a few years worth of work and cash? Doubt it. Had to be one helluva reason to take this huge a hit. Something wasnt jiving strongly enough they went into protection mode. Just how I see it with what we know so far.

As for the "illness" statement.... isnt there an insidious sickness called lead singers disease?

Of course there's a huge reason to dump the singer, but they lied to the press and the fans with the so call "illness" just to avoid lawsuits. But now they will have to deal with them because it's an obvious breach of contract and they have to deal with Dan's lawsuit also.

Claiming Dan was ill was simply a stop gap measures before the band could figure out what the heck they were going to do. This isn't some sort of breach of trust with the rest of the guys. People get divorced siting, "irreconcilable differences" or got to rehab with when their "ill." I say give em a little slack here. Besides Dan's statement in no way offers us an explanation either. Why did they fire Dan? There's reasons even if Dan disagrees with them or if, in fact, they are wrong. Is there a breach of contract here?

Claiming Dan was ill was simply a stop gap measures before the band could figure out what the heck they were going to do. This isn't some sort of breach of trust with the rest of the guys. People get divorced siting, "irreconcilable differences" or got to rehab with when their "ill." I say give em a little slack here. Besides Dan's statement in no way offers us an explanation either. Why did they fire Dan? There's reasons even if Dan disagrees with them or if, in fact, they are wrong. Is there a breach of contract here?

There's a breach of contract with the promoters of the concerts they canceled due to Dan's "illness".

It might be tour excesses. Dan hasnt experienced the road like this before where the rest of the guys have. Perhaps he was going overboard in indulgence for Scott's taste

It might be tour excesses. Dan hasnt experienced the road like this before where the rest of the guys have. Perhaps he was going overboard in indulgence for Scott's taste

This was my first thought. Alcoholism or substance abuse can certainly be called an "illness" and be acceptable to most of society. Probably in court as well. Although Im sure there are openings in tour contracts just for this sort of thing. I hope its not the case since I liked what we heard from Dan so far and it would be such a shame for the guy to lose this opportunity over shite like that. Whatever it is the guys saw something that scared them enough to bail on the Slip Knot thing so whatever the "illness" is it aint good. Keep plugging guys! Cant wait for the new record!

you know what I think happened? I think the new singer couldn't handle being on the road, or the criticism that comes from fans, such as this message board. I also think (as stated above) when you take a bunch of guys that are 13 years or so apart.. your going to have problems. Example. Check out one of the last interviews with Charlie and Dan, the fucking guy was wasted Charlie had to finish his sentences? I mean really? Do you want someone like that representing your band? ... that would have been cool back in 1987 but it isn't today. Hey I could be right and i could be wrong but I think maturity was most likely the major reason here people, its pretty clear, so I don't think Anthrax FUCKED anyone. I think that Dan fucked Dan. Again, its only what I have seen, heard and read. And yes I did hear that he shit on Frank. But really who cares what the reason is, I don't think they made this move to fuck him or themselves, I think it was something that had to be done. It wasn't working. They praised and praised this guy constantly so don't sit here and say that they tried to fuck this guy cause that is bullshit. Listen to yourselves your like a bunch of fucking women. LOL Go Anthrax, lets get John Bush back yeah!!!!!!

and PS. maybe the guy has a drinking problem? I think that would qualify as a sickness wouldn't you? You don't know.. I don't know... let's see what happens....

METAL

you know what I think happened? I think the new singer couldn't handle being on the road, or the criticism that comes from fans, such as this message board. I also think (as stated above) when you take a bunch of guys that are 13 years or so apart.. your going to have problems. Example. Check out one of the last interviews with Charlie and Dan, the fucking guy was wasted Charlie had to finish his sentences? I mean really? Do you want someone like that representing your band? ... that would have been cool back in 1987 but it isn't today. Hey I could be right and i could be wrong but I think maturity was most likely the major reason here people, its pretty clear, so I don't think Anthrax FUCKED anyone. I think that Dan fucked Dan. Again, its only what I have seen, heard and read. And yes I did hear that he shit on Frank. But really who cares what the reason is, I don't think they made this move to fuck him or themselves, I think it was something that had to be done. It wasn't working. They praised and praised this guy constantly so don't sit here and say that they tried to fuck this guy cause that is bullshit. Listen to yourselves your like a bunch of fucking women. LOL Go Anthrax, lets get John Bush back yeah!!!!!!

and PS. maybe the guy has a drinking problem? I think that would qualify as a sickness wouldn't you? You don't know.. I don't know... let's see what happens....

METAL

Fuckin A

I don't know if he has a problem with it, but Scott, Charlie, and Frank prob all went thru the heavy partying while on tour stage years ago, and being Dan's first real tour he prob started doing that--can't blame him, but the remaining 3 are trying to rebuild the brand of Anthrax and this is a distraction for them. Dan needs to be with similar minded guys and guys that aren;t as experienced as Anthrax. Wasn't Neil fired for almost the same thing though?

I know the problem. I come from an Irish family, and my Grandfather once told me "Irish is the opposite of Italian." I always believed it, without fully understanding but I think I get it now. Dan and Rob are the two most recent members of the band. Dan Nelson, Nelson being an Irish surname, would be the opposite of Rob Caggiano, which means they cancel each other out. The rest of the guys must have figured out that this virtually leaves them without a lead singer or a lead guitar player. This makes for a very boring band. Getting rid of Dan was the only option.
Think about it, it makes perfect sense.

I was kind of thinking the same thing as the guy above me. Even though it purely speculation on my part. Sometimes, well-known bands take a certain risk hiring someone who is unknown and may not have had the touring experience as they do. I think initially the band was happy with Dan and probably the shows they did with him last year were a trial by fire for him. He probably did his best to keep his nose clean and whatnot. My guess is as he became more comfortable with his role in the band,and heavy gigging ensued. His true colors may have started to show and it may have thrown the band for a loop. If his possible drinking and on the road behavior were to blame, then I defend the guys there and he pissed away his chance. Guys that are older than he his and have been at this for so long will only tolerate so much. Who knows if this was the case and if so if they gave him prior warnings to stop. We may never know what really went down, but I agree with some on here that something had to have happened on the road to suddenly throw a wrench into this.

As for Bush, I wouldn't totally count him out on a slight chance of him rejoining. That's just my opinion there. I think those guys should be on bended knees begging him to come back. Maybe he will after this gig at least think about it? Or after the show just say "hey well it was fun seeing you all again, take care". Trying to get him back im my opinion would be their best option. I doubt they'll get Joey back as I think they're looking for a singer who's going to cover all the bases. Joey won't sing any Bush-era songs, so what makes anyone think he's going to do any of the new stuff that was written. John's been a class act through all of this and showed no hard or bitter feelings towards the band after they dumped him. But 4 years apart could heal the wounds (or money), I know Bush is doing a new Saint album, but he's said many times that Armored Saint isn't a full time touring band. He does have kids to feed. And now they're at least toddlers he could probably make more money touring the amount that Anthrax does. As much I'm sure he loves music, he looks at the business perspective on it too.

As for the new album? I highly doubt that Dan's vocals are going to be on it. Whomever they get to sing they'll probably re-record their vocals on it. They may keep any background or harmony vocals he did. But I think that's about it. If in the slightest, slimmest chance they get Bush back. I bet he would want the songs re-written to his liking. He's never been the "puppet" singer and not contribute to the songs. But again this is all theory and speculation. Just my thoughts on it.

Yes I know Anthrax is going to do what they want to do. It's their band and they're going to do what they want regardless of what the fan's think. I do also agree that something major had to have happened for them to just pull the plug on this so abruptly. We may never know what exactly went down. I personally think it's karma kicking them in the ass for Scott and Charlie dumping John and Rob for a cash-grab reunion with Belladonna and Spitz. Time will only tell I guess