Daniel Gildenlow vs Michael Akerfeldt

Ok, PoS seem to be so fucking popular here, and so far in my life I have totally failed to get why. Could somebody reccommend to me the best PoS album to get/start off with? I feel like I'm missing out on major goodness!

ironbeard said:
Thanks for your replys. Really not one arguement,I'm fucking amazed. I was a little surprised to see all the Gildenlow posts. But, he is an amazing singer. Who does Jorn Lande sing for. Roy Khan of Kamelot is also insanely gifted. But, they are a Power Metal band and I lie their work, very well crafted. If you haven't already you must check out Frantic Bleep--"The Sense Apparatus." Somewhat complex metal,but dare I say some of the guitar riffage might make Opeth envious. NAH,NAH but they are tough.Peace.
Jørn sings for:

Ark (now defunct, their 2nd album "Burn The Sun" is amazing and was on Mikael's playlist at one point)
Masterplan (2 albums, i prefer the first one)
Allen/Lande (duo with Symphony X's singer)
And his solo work, which is more or less just metal, but quite good.

I agree about Khan, he has a great voice.
I wanted to add before, (but didn't because I wanted to keep the replies concentrated on the two in the title), Dan Swanö (of many bands, notably Edge of Sanity, Bloodbath, Nightingale, Unicorn) & Russell Allen (of Symphony X)

Liquid Diamonds said:
Ok, PoS seem to be so fucking popular here, and so far in my life I have totally failed to get why. Could somebody reccommend to me the best PoS album to get/start off with? I feel like I'm missing out on major goodness!
If you want to hear his vocal awesomeness:
12:5 - the acoustic live album of some of their better songs.
BE - the insanely weird genre defying comsic concept album about life the universe and everything. most people either love this one or hate it.
The Perfect Element I - all around good album.
Remedy Lane - all around good album.
One Hour By the Concrete Lake - all around good album.
Entropia - debut album, good stuff, not as polished as later work.

but thats my opinion.

Kenneth R. Thanks for the suggestions on Lande. I have to check this guy out. POS 12.5 is a phenominal album, you be hard pressed to hear that it is a "live" album. Very well done. So is "One hour by the Concrete Lake." Gildenlow was quoted as saying, "In metal too many vocalists sound the same, like guitarists no variation. What I try to do is offer various vocal segments and styles." IMO, that is what making true art is about. Peace.

Kenneth R. Thanks for the suggestions on Lande. I have to check this guy out. POS 12.5 is a phenominal album, you be hard pressed to hear that it is a "live" album. Very well done. So is "One hour by the Concrete Lake." Gildenlow was quoted as saying, "In metal too many vocalists sound the same, like guitarists no variation. What I try to do is offer various vocal segments and styles." IMO, that is what making true art is about. Peace.

ironbeard said:

12.5 is a great album....

FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!:yell:

but seriously now...It's one of my favorites

Mumblefood said:
I love being an ignorant fanboy who loves bad lyrics, cliche vocals and the shittest metal ever. so fucking good.

Go for decent COCKROCK instead! :p

Ken, who's Lande? Am I missing out AGAIN?!?!

I'd like to add, even though I prefer Mike's solos, Daniel is a better guitarist.

akerfeldt

gildenlöw has a wider local range, but he cant help being sound like a girl at times...the REALLY high notes make me cringe and make the music sound REALLY REALLY cheesy. thank God i didnt hear many of them in BE.

Liquid Diamonds said:

It took a while for me to understand their genius, the cheesiness and megalomania can turn off many people at first, but I'd say it's worth the try, since now they are one of my favourite bands. 12:5 is definitely a good starting point, though all their albums are great. Be sure to listen a whole album, since they're all concept albums... But don't begin with the song "Used" since it's a load of crap, their worst song IMO.

To me, the best metal vocalists out there are/were:

Mikael Åkerfeldt
Ozzy (in his early Sabbath days)
Marco Hietala (Tarot)
Devin Townsend
King Diamond
Dan Swäno
Heri Joensen (TYR)
Grutle (Enslaved)
Katla (ex-Finntroll)
Tom S. Englund (Evergrey)
Mr. Vintersorg
Christofer Johnsson (Therion)
Messiah (Candlemass)
Tom G. Warrior
Janne Christoffersson (Spiritual Beggars)

Those are the ones that come to mind, at the moment. I'm not too big a fan of Gildenlöw, although he is very talented.

Some of my favorite non-metal vocalists:
David Coverdale
David Gilmour
Robert Plant
Ian Anderson
Steve Wilson
Ian Gillan