death metal band with most outstanding recording history?

But still good.

I love their material with Chris Barnes (especially Tomb of the Mutilated and The Bleeding), but Corpsegrinder is a terrible vocalist, and the albums have been pretty inconsistent ever since Pat O'Brien came onboard. He was great in Nevermore, but doesn't really seem to fit with CC.

"That wuss. He's never ground a corpse in his life."

-something overheard at Sounds of the Underground last year

finally someone else who doesn't give Cannibal Corpse fellatio. overrated as fuck...:heh:

I always thought Cannibal Corpse was massively inferior to the majority of other death metal bands of their time. The only reason they became popular over bands like Deicide and Morbid Angel is because no one could fucking understand their vocals.

i'd say Asphyx/Soulburn, but God Cries is kinda weak.

if Edge of Sanity had quit after Crimson, they would be up there.

I really enjoy all Necrophobic's stuff.

but The Chasm probably wins this. I need to hear Immolation.

Some of these have already been mentioned and the others don't have a vast career and are still at their peak.

Gorguts
Immolation
Frightmare
Blood Freak
Lord Gore
Death
Impetigo

Pestilence surely would have been one of my first choices if the abomination known as Spheres was never fucking recorded. What an insult.

...WTF? Honestly. I know a lot of people didn't like Spheres as much as the rest of the albums, but it wasn't a massive change. It was just their own brand of death/thrash with a lot of Jazz influence. 'Abomination' is a ridiculous exaggeration if you like the other releases so much. I personally think it's one of their best releases; it's consistent, it's different but it's still very much Pestilence.

I'd have to say:
-Pestilence
-Death
-Carcass
-Thanatos
-Cryptopsy
-The Chasm
-Gorguts
-Deeds Of Flesh
-Immolation
-Morbid Angel
-Vader
-Suffocation

All these bands have an outstanding recording history. Most of them were already mentionned though.

Arghoslent
Immolation
The Chasm
Gorguts

...WTF? Honestly. I know a lot of people didn't like Spheres as much as the rest of the albums, but it wasn't a massive change. It was just their own brand of death/thrash with a lot of Jazz influence. 'Abomination' is a ridiculous exaggeration if you like the other releases so much. I personally think it's one of their best releases; it's consistent, it's different but it's still very much Pestilence.

Ridiculous exaggeration? I think not. Spheres was a drastic stylistic change. They had previously incorporated very slight progressive influences on Testimony of the Ancients (this can probably be credited to the loss of Martin van Drunen and the gain of Cynic's Tony Choy). Still, the album did not betray their past and was a good, if not great, technical Death Metal release. Spheres saw them take a completely different path of jazz/fusion/progressive metal which in itself was a complete flop and caused the band to disintegrate. It is an utter abomination when compared to Consuming Impulse (arguably the heaviest, most devastating 80's Death Metal record).

Ridiculous exaggeration? I think not. Spheres was a drastic stylistic change. They had previously incorporated very slight progressive influences on Testimony of the Ancients (this can probably be credited to the loss of Martin van Drunen and the gain of Cynic's Tony Choy). Still, the album did not betray their past and was a good, if not great, technical Death Metal release. Spheres saw them take a completely different path of jazz/fusion/progressive metal which in itself was a complete flop and caused the band to disintegrate. It is an utter abomination when compared to Consuming Impulse (arguably the heaviest, most devastating 80's Death Metal record).

While almost completely true, your above post has flaws. The album being called a flop can be misinterpretted, it was largely rejected by the Death Metal community, true, but it was a masterpiece and is widely embraced as not only pestilences best album but to some, an all time incredible metal album.

The band did disband after it but not because it was a flop, being ill-received annoyed the band true, but they disbanded because tensions were just too high between the band members and they just thought Spheres would be impossible to pass in creativity.