Death Metal

I prefer two first two Gorguts' first two albums, though I like all of them. Obscura is somewhat whacked out, but it still has a death metal feel to it. It's not totally out there like Portal or something (who really suck).

Yes, no one uses those harmonies (if you can even call them that) because they sound so grating. It's like Portal try to sound grating on purpose. And, come to think of it, the riffing style is more black metal than death metal, and their music really hardly resembles death metal, so I don't even know why they are always labeled as such. They don't even really have riffs, just random tremolo picked two note harmonies. Portal are very hard and unpleasant to listen to.

Stargazer are lyrically and therefore musically closer to BM than Death although there music might be interpreted as DM.I love The Scream That Tore The Sky

This was perhaps a silly statement as it opens the floodgates on whether or not bands like Morbid Angel,Deicide or even Portal are actually death metal which they most certainly are:cry: :kickass:

The first Intestine Baalism album, An Anatomy of the Beast is pretty good melodic death metal. The second album, Banquet in the Darkness, is rather uninteresting, more simplistic and easily digestible, if I remember correctly.

I do, I listen to tech death so that's what I'm trying to get at playing, I'm learning Suffocation-Thrones of Blood at the moment, I may try some Decapitated-Nihility or Cannibal Corpse-Vile level stuff next.

I never understood the hype surrounding Decapitated. I think the band is very clinical compressed mechanical and can't get into it because the music does not flow or have any rythmn or momentum to me. I also like drums that actually sound like drums. I just find the band very boring. I find Vader really boring also and mention them because Decapitated sound like a mix between vader and meshuggah. Winds of Creation is not a bad album.

This was perhaps a silly statement as it opens the floodgates on whether or not bands like Morbid Angel,Deicide or even Portal are actually death metal which they most certainly are:cry: :kickass:
Well,Stargazer are talented musicians, no doubt, and the instrumentals on the Scream that Tore Sky are pretty fine actually, but the main bulk of the album bores me quite a bit.It's just too monotonous, imo.
Btw, you should check out Pavor. You'll probably like them, if you dig Stargazer.

How's Gorefest? I just found my old copy of False/Erase disc. Never got around to listening to it.

False is one of my favorite death metal albums and is very unorthodox for the early 90's. I also really enjoy the guitar harmonics because they are just very oddly placed on a riff and time where you would never have expected them which makes them sound very cool and the guitar tone is huge, very nice harmonizing and layering and great usage of having two guitarists and being able to notice. False is very atmospheric while still being a very heavy album without loosing focus on what death metal should sound like. I find the guitar playing very interesting with original idea's ahead of US death metal acts like deicide,cannibal corpse,obituary,malevolent creation,etc.. who were getting more attention over Euro death metal bands in general.