Death Metal

Okay, now that Gorguts is settled (I now hear the difference ater listening to some quality samples), what about Cynic's Focus and Lykathea Aflame's Elvenfris? Are those good buys?

Yes,If you ask me.But be warned none of them isn't even close to your everyday Death metal albums & have varied reaction of people throughout the metal community(some hate them,some adore them).

Focus is so progressive.It has some keyboard played vocals which are just plain unusal.

But I would encourage everyone to get the 2nd album.It is one of my all time favourite DM albums.If not for anything get the album just for the awesome druming.

Well,Stargazer are talented musicians, no doubt, and the instrumentals on the Scream that Tore Sky are pretty fine actually, but the main bulk of the album bores me quite a bit.It's just too monotonous, imo.
Btw, you should check out Pavor. You'll probably like them, if you dig Stargazer.

Remember when Eucharist bored you to tears? :p

Okay, now that Gorguts is settled (I now hear the difference ater listening to some quality samples), what about Cynic's Focus and Lykathea Aflame's Elvenfris? Are those good buys?

Lykathea Aflame's Elvenfris is some great unusual death metal. Definately try it. About Cynic, I never got into them, I find them quite overrated tbh.

Lemegeton said:
How about The Chasm or !TOOH!?

About !T.O.O.H.!, they are very well played gore-death with Czech lyrics, some people here don't like them for some reason, but I recommend them. Try their last one, Order and Punishment, some great production there.

How about Carcass Kataklysm, Malevolent Creation, Intestine Baalism, and Cryptopsy. I heard the vocalist for Cryptopsy has a very striking voice, is that for true though?

Carcass' first four albums essentials for their respective genres (the band had quite an evolution). I recommend you get Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrius, one of the greatest death metal albums of all time.

The only Cryptopsy you need is None So Vile, which features Lord Worm on vocals and considered by many a technical death metal classic.

As for Kataklysm, get Temple of Knowledge if you're into hyperblasty metal, or get Epic: The Poetry of War if you like melodic death metal.

Remember when Eucharist bored you to tears? :p
:)

yes,actually, I made a lot of premature judgements about bands whose music didn't quite sink in. Ironically, Eucharist is one of the several DM bands that doesn't bore me now.Ritualistic melodic death; such awesomeness:kickass:

But with Stargazer it was the other way around. I thought they were pretty cool in their weirdness, but after a while the effect wore off. The music is, well, technically impressive, but there's not much else to it. It just sort of drifts there, but doesn't deliever, imo. And the vocals are terrible. Just like Wicked Innocence and Crimson Massacre: so technical and weird with a gazillion tempo changes per minute, but didn't seem to leave a lasting impression on me, outside of "whoa, it's tech death".

I wouldn't describe them as tech death. In fact I wouldn't describe any of those bands you listed as tech death, since tech death's primary focus is on creating technically intricate Death Metal, whereas for these bands, their music just so happens to be technical in conveying whatever they mean to convey. And I completely disagree with you on Stargazer, they're easily one of the more interesting Death Metal bands out there today.

Eucharist-mirrorworlds is classic especially the song Fallen which is worth buying the album alone. I actually find the first album pretty bland.

Carcass' first four albums essentials for their respective genres (the band had quite an evolution). I recommend you get Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrius, one of the greatest death metal albums of all time.

I agree on at. Necroticism is a riff salad and a very original and strange album. Heartwork is very tame and conventional compared. It's cool to see you enjoying some old school death metal finally which is the best kind.

Both Eucharist albums are great, but I still like the debut better.
Religion of the Blood- Red Velvet, Floating and Bleeding Tears are my favorite tracks, but they're all great really.
I remember when I couldn't get into this album, I was blaming the hollow production, but it's actually fine-- echoey just in the right places.

DENIAL To Release Debut Through ASPHYXIATE RECORDINGS - Feb. 25, 2008
Mexico's DENIAL will release its full-length debut, "Catacombs of the Grotesque", on Asphyxiate Recordings.

Formed at the end of 2006, DENIAL is said to be inspired by '90s death metal. The group's seven-inch EP, "Immense Carnage Vortex", is available through Blood Harvest Records.

DENIAL is:

Oscar Clorio: Drums
Ivan "Bloodhunter" Velazquez: Vocals
Marko Guevara: Guitars
Roberto Granados: Guitars
Ricardo Gil: Bass

For more information, visit www.myspace.com/denialmex.

i feel like i'm the only person who likes mirrorworlds over a velvet creation. the production is just so bad and low in it it makes it really sound awful and mirrorworlds is just a lot better written and just sounds better to me. maybe i have to go back and listen to avc again though.

Turn up the volume:)
At first I was mainly put off by the drum sound on A Velvet Creation, but got used to it. I like how the album doesn't sound cluttered or busy in the least and lets you hear everything clearly. Just perfect.