Death Metal

I didn't like Tales... much at all. I just found it uninspired. The Karelian Isthmus is easily in the top ten death metal albums of all time, though.

+1 to not liking Tales. The Karelian Isthmus is easily one of my favourite albums ever though.

This Traumatic Voyage band good? I'm looking for their first album (for download) and failing. They (well, he) have quite a few full lengths, are they all quality?

+1 to not liking Tales. The Karelian Isthmus is easily one of my favourite albums ever though.

This Traumatic Voyage band good? I'm looking for their first album (for download) and failing. They (well, he) have quite a few full lengths, are they all quality?

Yeah, Traumatic Voyage rules and it's a pretty hard album to find (and even download).

Traumatic Voyage is weird, fucked up, drug-addled early surrealistic death metal stuff. It's totally uber-wacky, and yes...hard to find...PM me if you need to.

Absolute favorites are Demilich, Incantation, Immolation and Morpheus Descends. Definitely a fan of the old school variety but I am always checking out new shit too, even though much of it does not appeal to me.

Portal is a promising new band, same with Splatterhouse (Lord Gore, Ghoul/Impaled variety, but much more advanced).

Welcome to the board...I assume you're of that fabled Texas-based site with the pretentious reviews that I apparently cannot name on this board?

Ah, OK. It's really fine either way but the bands you're interested in give away a typical member of that place's general preferences, so it piqued my interest I guess.

Good music, by the way. Good luck with it.

Absolutely, thanks! Yeah I do suppose my preferences are concurrent with them.

But I also like a lot of power/prog/"gay shit" that they typically don't ;)

The Karelian Isthmus is the greatest DM album imo. Tales is one of my favorite albums.

For the record, Darkthrone's Soulside Journey is my personal #1 regarding death metal. That album's atmosphere is comfuckingpletely sublime.

Also, I've been going through some of the older posts on here and have, in the process, discovered through your recommendations some absolutely amazing albums that I'd never been exposed to previously, having focused on black metal for years and years and years. Among them:

Asphyx - The Rack
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Deathevokation - The Chalice of Ages
Kronos - Colossal Titan Strife
Wormed - Planisphaerium
Atrocity - Longing for Death
Molested - Blod Draum

Thanks especially to V5 for the Intestine Baalism - Banquet in the Darkness mention. That record is owning me right now. You guys have excellent taste. I don't know why I don't post here more often.

Fuck yeah it is!

I get so disillusioned with death metal sometimes, at least more popular death metal, because you have bands like Hate Eternal, Vital Remains (who I thought I liked for a little while), and Necrophagist who do nothing but blast all the GODDAMN time and aren't really doing anything artistic or innovative. That shit gets monotonous, and quick for that matter. Bands like Intestine Baalism or Deathevokation, for example, are extremely refreshing because they incorporate artistry, soul if you will, into their records. I guess I just don't understand why bands like the formers are so popular. Hate Eternal, for instance, were featured on the cover of Metal Maniacs. The cover. While I liked their debut well enough, what I've heard of their recent material is just bland and devoid of spirit. Furthermore, I think that this whole hyper-technical, blast-happy trend in death metal that I've noticed over the last few years is the worst thing to ever happen to the genre.

Thoughts?

Completely agreed, which is why 95% of the Death Metal I listen to has very little if any blastbeats and is devoid of wankery of any kind.

I highly recommend to you Miasma - Changes if you have not looked into it yet.

Well, don't get me wrong, I like blastbeats: I love alot of grindcore, for example. Assuck produced some of the most awe-inspiring albums that I've ever heard. However, let it be said that these bands whose MO seems to be "all blastbeats, all the time" aren't doing anything worth my time, or worth anybody else's for that matter.

Miasma, huh? What're they like?

Monolithic and plodding death metal (it can get mid-paced though), really horrifying in some ways. Sounds like a big beast stalking you as prey a good majority of the time. It's like "brutal death metal" with old-school production and without the connotations of "brutality" inferred by the actual genre of BDM.

I like all kinds of death metal to varying extents and lend an ear to anything metal that comes my way, but I can agree that "soul" seems to be lacking in plenty of wanky tech bands. There are technical bands which are actually soulful though...have you heard the first Anata album, possibly Gorod, Unreal Overflows, Gory Blister (shit name, great music), etc.?