Mithras - Beyond The Shadows Lies Madness
Septic Flesh - Communion
The Chasm - The Spell Of Retribution
Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked
Mithras - Worlds Beyond The Veil
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
Slugathor - Echoes From Beneath
Insomnium - Across The Weeping World

Some of these aren't really strictly death metal. I unfortunately don't know much of the "darker" death metal like The Chasm's newest album and Slugathor.

Guess you like Necros Christos :)

I keep seeing Deathevokation and Arghoslent pop up everywhere, I need to check those out.

Wondering what you guys would consider to be the top 10 death metal albums of the last decade (2000-2009).

The Chasm - Conjuration of the Spectral Empire
Drowned - Viscera Terræ
Darkness Eternal - Misanthropic Annihilation
Repugnant - Epitome of Darkness
Exocriate - On Pestilent Winds
Necros Christos - Triune Impurity Rites
Deathevokation - The Chalice of Ages
Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels
Serpens Aeon - Dawn Of Kouatl
Necrovation - Breed Deadness Blood

Haven't really kept up with modern death metal, but these are my picks.

Thanks. I haven't heard a few of those, so I'll look them up. This is the list I came up with.

Portal - Outré
Gorguts - From Wisdom to Hate
Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation
Teitanblood - Seven Chalices
Grave Miasma - Exalted Emanation
Intestine Baalism - Banquet in the Darkness
Ulcerate - Everything is Fire
Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels
Ignivomous - Death Transmutation
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal

Might replace that Bolt Thrower with The Sleep of Morbid Dreams though.

I really find like nothing at all special about Excoriate. It's OK, but...really seems overrated. The rest of that I can understand. Drowned fucking rules, that's one of the best DM EPs in a while.

zk0hn5.jpg

I really find like nothing at all special about Excoriate. It's OK, but...really seems overrated.

I'm starting to warm up to it. I used to think people loved it mostly for the cult production it had on it, but with more listens I'm starting to hear some excellent riffs in the songs. It's certainly not the best of the modern death metal albums (that's Dead Congregation or Repugnant) but it is solid.

Excoriate synthesizes many different death metal sounds, particularly 80s Brazil, extremely well. It presents very raw and chaotic ideas with the finesse of a 90s European texture.

It might be the problem that I have never really gotten into early Brazilian death metal or even early Sepultura so that is likely where the disconnect is.

I always see people praise Those Once Loyal, but I owned it and sold it because I thought it was boring. This was before I really "got" DM and it makes me feel like I should go back and give it another shot.