Death Metal

ATROCITY: 'Todessehnsucht' To Be Reissued With Bonus Track - Oct. 1, 2007
Metal Mind Productions will re-release ATROCITY's "Todessehnsucht" album on October 15 in Europe and November 5 in the U.S. (via MVD). The digipak edition will be limited to 2,000 numbered copies and will include one bonus track plus liner notes written by the band. The CD was digitally remastered by ATROCITY frontman Alex Krull himself.

"When in 1992 death metal flourished into technicality, 'Todessehnsucht' emerged as ATROCITY's attempt to create an epic album, conjoining both progressive and extreme sounds," reads a press release. "The attempt fully succeeded — the album became one of the most intense and respected productions in the band's entire discography. For many fans this is also one of the best albums in the history of the German death metal scene — a true monument of sophisticated arrangements and blasphemous melodies. It's a conglomerate of aggressive and brutal sounds, supported by truly artistic elements, such as classical music motives and vocals performed by opera singers."

"Todessehnsucht" re-release track listing:

01. Todessehnsucht
02. Godless Years
03. Unspoken Names
04. Defiance
05. Triumph At Dawn
06. Introduction
07. Sky Turned Red
08. Necropolis
09. A Prison Called Earth
10. Todessehnsucht (Reprise)
11. Archangel (bonus track)

Psycroptic are not a massively known band but they are on the list. I love both Katatonia and Opeth but Katatonia are not really death metal, their first two albums were more Dark Metal than anything but I suppose you could call them Death Metal to a degree. If you are going to include death/doom though where are the absolute great Death/Doom albums like My Dying Bride's Turn Loose the Swans.

You think Opeth is Death Metal more than Katatonia?

Dance of December Souls is Black/Doom and BMD is Death/Doom. The rest of the albums are either Doom Metal or Goth Metal/Rock. I thought this was pretty apparent, but I guess not.

right now I'm listening to
Death (probably my favorite band of all time)
sadus
morbid angel
nile
cannibal corpse

Molested :kickass:

Also, anything recently discovered that is great in the Old School Death Metal department?

Deathevokation's cover? ;)

I can name off some newer bands in the style if you'd like...haven't really discovered anything old since I don't really download and most of it's impossible to find.

I have not liked the new Behemoth. The new Nile is ok. I need to get into underground Death Metal also now. By that I mean death metal not brutal or goregrind or any of that shit, as much as I love it.

Opeth and Katatonia were never death metal bands and as a result are good bands because they are influenced by death metal and at the sametime realised death metal died in the early 90's not having their bands be death metal.

death metal is dead

...without anything to back it up with. The vast majority of people could just as easily accept that Enya is death metal - that would not make them right about it.
Death Metal is a definition for something. Definitions for words/labels develop from use. If the vast majority defined Enya then that would be death metal. I don't really see what you are arguing here unless you are willing to say that "death metal" is an objective term.

I'm arguing that people saying Opeth is not death metal (Necuratul/MalignParadigm/Death Delerium) should either give reasons or simply not make any comments at all.

I have not liked the new Behemoth. The new Nile is ok. I need to get into underground Death Metal also now. By that I mean death metal not brutal or goregrind or any of that shit, as much as I love it.

mazeoftor_hom.jpg

megaon5.jpg

hex.jpg

cover3180_46356.jpg