Death Metal

I'm debating bidding over $37 for the original Drowned Productions version of Slumber of Sullen Eyes. An hour left to decide...

Morningrise ranked 10th on the top 50 list being discussed from Hailmetal, so obviously not everyone agrees with you. I believe Opeth do play death metal, to a degree, they definetely did more on their earlier albums, morningrise in particular had a real death/doom feel to it.

They seriously have absolutely nothing in common with any degree of Death Metal aside from the growling vocals.

They seriously have absolutely nothing in common with any degree of Death Metal aside from the growling vocals.

Really, I would say a lot of what they do is as metal as death metal as any gothenburg band, still this argument never ends so I will just drop it before the next five pages of the thread are a Opeth are Death Metal, no they are not argument. Really it doesn't matter, they play progressive/melodic extreme metal, I am happy to leave it at that.

Also @Darkbliss whether or not an album is Christian does not affect whether it is a good album or not, that is one of the greatest death metal albums I have and I have a lot of great Death Metal albums.

Also @Darkbliss whether or not an album is Christian does not affect whether it is a good album or not, that is one of the greatest death metal albums I have and I have a lot of great Death Metal albums.
I concur but you'll see that most people don't. The albums on the list were agreed upon by the majority of the staff(I'm assuming)and putting something as controversial as Mortification there would have ruffled some feathers maybe.

Well, its impossible to argue that it isn't Death Metal, so really there should not be a problem as it doesn't say anywhere that Death Metal has to be about gore and not christianity. Speaking of controversial however, the staff bit off more with Opeth in the top 10 than if they had of placed Mortification in the list. Also, Brave.Murder.Day at 4.. that is fairly bold.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if Mortification are even well known enough to have made the list. Opeth and Katatonia are simply very popular and are hailed as death metal amongst fans, which explains the high ranking position.

Psycroptic are not a massively known band but they are on the list. I love both Katatonia and Opeth but Katatonia are not really death metal, their first two albums were more Dark Metal than anything but I suppose you could call them Death Metal to a degree. If you are going to include death/doom though where are the absolute great Death/Doom albums like My Dying Bride's Turn Loose the Swans.