Death Metal

Timeghoul CD/LP Compilation (07/18/2011)
DARK DESCENT RECORDS / THE CRYPT PRESENT TIMEGHOUL (USA) CD/LP

For the first time ever on CD and Vinyl, Dark Descent Records and The Crypt have joined forces once again to proudly present the complete discography from the legendary Science Fiction / Fantasy Death Metal legends TIMEGHOUL (USA).

Born in the Midwest United States in 1987, Doom’s Lyre remained relatively quiet, recording no material before changing their name. In 1991, Doom’s Lyre, now renamed Timeghoul, set out by releasing two demos; 1992’s Tumultuous Travelings and 1994’s Panaramic Twilight.
Largely ignored and mostly forgotten, these recordings did not receive the recognition they deserved until years later. Timeghoul’s eclectic and complex style of US death metal started to gain momentum within the underground as overlooked and classic material.
Prepare for one of the most unique and complex death metal offerings the early 90's had to offer.

CD version by Dark Descent Records and Vinyl version by The Crypt.

More news to come...

:kickass:

More old stuff being resurrected by Dark Descent: (one of these is important, people!)

DDR0XXCD - Morgue (US) - Eroded Thoughts + demos CD
DDR0XXCD - Depravity - Silence of the Centuries/Remasquerade/Demos CD
DDR035CD - Xenomorph - Empyreal Regimes + Demo CD compilation (IN PROGRESS)

I just keep checking it. They did the same with Farseeing, they didnt really say anything... the page just changed one day.

For many of us, technical death metal is an amazing recent metal genre.
Few bands represent.

Necrophagist would be leaders for me.
Viraemia - One of those who represent
developing their own personal style.
Same quality as Necrophagist, excellent.
Beyond bludgeoned - i was impressed at first but after the second
listening...good but lacking for sure the quality of the aforementioned.

Goreaphobia -Apocalyptic Necromancy. Mortal Repulsion is better, but still a solid album.

Last edited by a moderator:
For many of us, technical death metal is an amazing recent metal genre.
Few bands represent.

Necrophagist would be leaders for me.
Viraemia - One of those who represent
developing their own personal style.
Same quality as Necrophagist, excellent.
Beyond bludgeoned - i was impressed at first but after the second
listening...good but lacking for sure the quality of the aforementioned.

:puke: I was into tech death for a while now I'm so tired of it lool. I guess that's what happens when you listen to overly wankery tech death for a while. Necrophagist is still played once or twice a month, though.

Tech Death has become a bad word over the years. I remember listening to technically inclined or progressive Death Metal at the start of the 90's when it was still pushing the boundaries of the genre. Atheist, Death, Cynic were really something to behold as they progressed with each album they released.

Tech now is just about out-brutalizing the competition, which I do still enjoy in small doses, but it really has lost it's imagination and sense of wonder. Perhaps it also has to do with getting older and feeling like I've heard it all before. There are still some very good technical bands out there but I hesitate to refer to them in the negative as "Tech Death."

Tech Death has become a bad word over the years. I remember listening to technically inclined or progressive Death Metal at the start of the 90's when it was still pushing the boundaries of the genre. Atheist, Death, Cynic were really something to behold as they progressed with each album they released.

Tech now is just about out-brutalizing the competition, which I do still enjoy in small doses, but it really has lost it's imagination and sense of wonder. Perhaps it also has to do with getting older and feeling like I've heard it all before. There are still some very good technical bands out there but I hesitate to refer to them in the negative as "Tech Death."

Very true, i agree with almost everything.
That's why true tech death is represented by only a few bands.
Comprised by people who really feel it. There, you see quality,
understand what is, and enjoy tech death.

Actually, dudes who, as nicely put, try to "out-brutalize"
or out-tech other bands are the guys who fail to do so!
Feeling the need to show skill but lacking the natural feeling
that feeds it makes for the bulk of those uninspired by the dozen
tech turd bands!

Huge subject, i'll go on a bit.

Muhamed of Necrophagist when asked, some years after Epitaph and hundreds of tech bands sprouting all over, if he feels their 3rd release should out-tech all and prove "who's the king" he answered no cause what they do comes out naturally, not as a show of technical and speed skills.

I could go on forever. Lastly i can only say this happens to all genres but those who represent are but a few and and their quality makes all the difference!

Check this out guys, Sheolgeenna, Chilean death metal, released in 2002, broke up since then. Haven't heard them mentioned before, they're really good I think. Only released one full length and a demo.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what is everyone's favorite death metal albums from 2011?

Mine are, in no particular order:

Mitochondrion - Parasignosis
Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All
Deceased - Surreal Overdose
Autopsy - Macabre Eternal
Exhumed - All Guts No Glory
Vanhelgd- Church of Death
Miasmal - Miasmal

Some pretty good stuff coming up too with new Bastard Priest, Ignivomous, Blasphemophager and Bestial Raids.