Death Metal

Dead Congregation is some of the better US influenced DM. I've only listened to the fullength 1,2 times. It was good stuff.

So uh, anyone know if it's still possible to get Insanity's "Chronicles of the Cursed" compilation anywhere?

I feel like a dipshit for not discovering Incantation until now.

They're scratching that same itch that Portal and Mitochondrion hit for me. That really ethereal, bowls-of-hell kind of horror death.

I think Dead Congregation is really overrated. I also like the EP more. Pretty sure everyone here knows this already, just trying to be controversial.

I am becoming more and more disillusioned with the prog/tech death metal bands that are putting out albums these days. I know many metal fans are, but it's just something I have been experiencing lately. Those bands put out songs that are full of a lot of different stuff, some of it it even pretty rad, but they string it together in a way that makes it so ineffective. Not that it is all great, but there is enough good stuff that I would say the typical tech death metal band's songs are a case of; the sum of the parts is lesser than the whole.

Now listening to the latest Obscura, Omnivium. Yeah, I listened to Cosmogenesis and decided it wasn't for me, but there are always parts that I like, so I hold out hope that they will learn to construct songs. Alas, no. They may establish a good (not great) riff, but they quickly meander into enough unrelated places, that by the time they reestablish the riff, it has no power, and there is no anticipation for it.

EDIT: ..and I think references to Death and Atheist are way too common in reviews. Those bands knew how to write songs. These bands do not.

Tech death is fucking boring.

Sepulcral from Italy.

Old school doomy death metal, I'm a sucker for this shit. Billy from razorback says their first full length will be out in very near future.

Also, I believe Ignivomous will be releasing a new album this year.

Edit: just listened to Innsmouth and holy fuck yes they need to release an album this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obscura and their ilk can be interesting bands for the right mood, but I'll agree that I haven't listened to any tech death in a while. And I wholly admit to being someone that likes Brain Drill (not so much the latest album). That said, it's a very, very particular itch to scratch, and one that I haven't felt the need for in a long time.

I'm, lately, much more impressed with someone who doesn't just know what notes to play, but who can explain why they're playing them. Plus, I'm REALLY growing weary of heavily triggered drums and quantized recording. Gimme some flawed but organic playing any day.

I started evaluating Gnostic - Engineering the Rule. Anyone into this? It is heavily influenced by Atheist. Actually it may be more correct to say it emulates Atheist in a lot of ways; song structure, drumming, some aspects of the guitar playing. If you're gonna be a clone, then Atheist is not a bad band to go for. After a couple of listens I am enjoying it.

Some guy on Metal Archives gave it a 35 and admitted to listening to it only 0.5 times. That's idiotic. I am not sure why they approved that review.

OK, I just read the whole review and found that this band actually has Atheist members in it. Well, members from the new Atheist, plus the old drummer. Anyway, it's pretty good and I am enjoying it. The vocals are not great, but they don't bother me.

I am also enjoying the new Atheist album Jupiter.

forever+dead+cover.jpg