Death Metal

For those of you interested in obscure death metal, Memento Mori has brought another 18 year old beast back to life:

Mangled Torsos - Drawings of the Dead

Official reissue of their debut full-length, originally released on Morbid Records in 1994, slightly remastered for an even more pleasurable listening experience and featuring their "Anatomia Reformata" EP as bonus tracks. Thick, gruesome Death Metal with a distinctively bizarre, surreal and decadent atmosphere comprised of slow-to-mid paced passages and grinding overtones sublimated by some gargling, guttural vocals, like the impossible combination of early Pungent Stench, diSEMBOWELMENT and Demilich. The 12-page booklet features a brand new cover art & layout by Patrick Wentz, the band's drummer.
Limited to 500 copies.

They've done a very good job with two other reissues I own
Centinex - Subconscious Lobotomy
Acrostichon - Engraved in Black
(granted they have sorta fugly album art)
so I'll definitely be picking this one up as well.

Oh, and they'll be reissuing some more stuff in the near future:
Burial - Relinquished Souls
Sempiternal Deathreign - The Spooky Gloom !!!!!!!!!!!!

Subconcious Lobotomy is a great album. And side note I just don't like reissues at all.

Could Please To Kill be considered death metal? If not, proto-death? They were ahead of slayer as far as influencing death metal. This also applies to earlier sepultura (Anything below Beneath The Remains).

Kreator and german thrash influenced Chuck Shuldiner from Death which is some of the earliest DM. I don't feel like German thrash was original or anything, but it was alittle more raw and underground than the US Thrash that influenced it because it was foreign.

Just thrash... and I refuse to call it "proto" death (can we never start that with death metal please?) because Seven Churches already existed. As far as sepultura is concerned, Morbid Visions and Bestial Devastation are definitely early death metal. Maybe Schizophrenia too, I've never bothered with it much.

Just thrash... and I refuse to call it "proto" death (can we never start that with death metal please?) because Seven Churches already existed. As far as sepultura is concerned, Morbid Visions and Bestial Devastation are definitely early death metal. Maybe Schizophrenia too, I've never bothered with it much.

Schizophrenia has altars of madness type vocals, so I'd consider it death metal.

I hate the entire 'proto' thing. Proto-metal,etc.. it is just really stupid.

I'm not sure if any of those bands are recording anything, but I wonder if Bloodbath will be looking for a new vocalist or mr bad prog rock will hang around?